Barcode Separation

Barcode Separation

Postby garyswaggerty » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:52 am

I am attempting to separate a large pdf document based on the value of a barcode changing.

Everything works great in Project Builder, however when I run the batch through our Kofax system, I get completely different results.

Any tips on doing barcode separation in KTM 10?

Here's the code I'm using currently.
Code: Select all
Option Explicit
Global holdvalue As String

' Project Script
Private Sub Document_SeparateCurrentPage(pXDoc As CASCADELib.CscXDocument, ByVal PageNr As Long, bSplitPage As Boolean, RemainingPages As Long)
   Dim oSinglePageDoc As CscXDocument
   Set oSinglePageDoc = New CscXDocument
   '# Create a temporary  document with a single page
   oSinglePageDoc.CopyPages(pXDoc, PageNr, 1)
   '# Read the barcode
   Project.ClassByName("BarcodeSeparation").Extract oSinglePageDoc
   '# If the barcode is a separation barcode then split the document
   bSplitPage = BarcodeSeparation(oSinglePageDoc.Fields.ItemByName("Barcode").Text)
End Sub

Private Function BarcodeSeparation(ByVal sValue As String) As Boolean
   '# Return true if the barcode is a seperation barcode
   Dim policyno As String
   policyno = Mid(sValue,6,10)

If policyno <> holdvalue And sValue <> "" Then
      BarcodeSeparation = True
      holdvalue = policyno
   Else
      BarcodeSeparation = False
   End If
End Function

thanks in advance,
Gary
garyswaggerty
Participant

Re: Barcode Separation

Postby Hando Penu » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:32 pm

Hi!

I just switched one project from KTM-based barcode separation to generic barcode separation in Kofax. Reason - unreliable results. I had loads of beautiful barcodes, that KTM barcode engine did not recognize during runtime. Most of them they did work in design... and all of them did work in KC Barcode engine.
After changing to KC barcode engine - no more problems. As customer does not have EBC license, only low-res scans fail. And they have to fail - so we can catch them and rescan...
Project runs on KC10.1 (KTM6.01) and uses regex-based separation (we do have more barcodes on docs, but only one format of value in barcode marks new document.

Hando
Hando Penu
Participant

Postby garyswaggerty » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:30 am

Is it possible to do separation based on a barcode value that changes in KC?

I have a pdf with several different documents in it. Each has a unique barcode on it. What I'm trying to do is separate once the barcode value changes.

Is that possible?

thanks,
gary
garyswaggerty
Participant

Postby russell@centuryc.com » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:33 am

garyswaggerty wrote:Is it possible to do separation based on a barcode value that changes in KC?

I don't think you can do that at scan time.

Just as a note, make sure the scanned items are being sent to KTM as "loose pages". If something is already classified as a document, no separation will occur. If you're importing the PDF as a "e-Document" then it's a object and can't be read. I'm not sure if separation will work if the PDF is imported into KTM directly. I think your only hope is to set Capture to convert PDFs to Tiffs and them make sure the scan module sees them as "loose pages".
Russell
russell@centuryc.com
Participant

Postby russell@centuryc.com » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:33 am

garyswaggerty wrote:Is it possible to do separation based on a barcode value that changes in KC?

I don't think you can do that at scan time.

Just as a note, make sure the scanned items are being sent to KTM as "loose pages". If something is already classified as a document, no separation will occur. If you're importing the PDF as a "e-Document" then it's a object and can't be read. I'm not sure if separation will work if the PDF is imported into KTM directly. I think your only hope is to set Capture to convert PDFs to Tiffs and them make sure the scan module sees them as "loose pages".
Russell
russell@centuryc.com
Participant

Postby Hando Penu » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:42 pm

Hi!
At least KC10.1 supports this on scan-time. If You are scanning BW, then it's immediate, if color, then recognition queueue will do the job.

Hando
Hando Penu
Participant

Return to Kofax Transformation Modules General Discussion