Flagging exceptions

Flagging exceptions

Postby » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:58 pm

I'm looking for ideas.

I've got a job I've been doing in Capture where I not only record the fields from a form, but also an exception status, such as it was left blank, illegible, etc. We report these exceptions in our process. In the past, I've been dealing with this requirement by having a second field for each data field for the operator to record exceptions. We ease the burden by automatically skipping that field if valid data has been entered. It grew that way in part because of the limitations of Capture.

But with KTM's richer user interface, I'm wondering if there's a better way and I can do this with just the data field and maybe a function key to flag it.

Thoughts?
Russell
Participant

Re: Flagging exceptions

Postby » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:25 am

Put a button next to each field. You can map any function key to a button, including CTRL+Fx, CTRL+SHIFT+Fx combinations in case you're running low on single keystrokes. Pressing a button can display a dialog box with a combobox where user can either freely enter text or choose from predefined options. You can then fill a hidden index field with the entered/chosen text and export it into your workflow.
Furthermore, since you can also tell which was the last field the validation operator was at before the button was invoked, you can place a single button on the screen and fill each respective comment field based on the current field.
This is how we do it for a customer and it just works fine for 6 years now. You can also place the button(s) on a hidden tab: this will still make them work, but only by using function keys. This effectively forces your users to use the keyboard instead of clicking around with the mouse.
BTW you could achieve similar functionality in plain ol' KC. Just create a hidden field for each index field and create an OCX panel for Validation that hooks onto the function keys. A dialog with a combo box is displayed when the function key is pressed and the appropriate hidden comment field is filled based on the current index field. You can even do similar without OCX panel, albeit in a little less user friendly way.
Best Regards,

Daniel Kekesi
DocSoft Hungary
Participant

Postby » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:39 am

I like that!
Russell
Participant

Postby » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:39 am

I like that!
Russell
Participant

Postby » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:51 pm

dkekesi wrote:Furthermore, since you can also tell which was the last field the validation operator was at before the button was invoked, you can place a single button on the screen and fill each respective comment field based on the current field.

How do I get the "last field"? It's not obvious to me.
Russell
Participant

Postby » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:28 pm

russell@centuryc.com wrote:
dkekesi wrote:Furthermore, since you can also tell which was the last field the validation operator was at before the button was invoked, you can place a single button on the screen and fill each respective comment field based on the current field.

How do I get the "last field"? It's not obvious to me.

Bump. I figured a way to do that, but I want to make sure there isn't an easier way.
Russell
Participant

Return to Kofax Transformation Modules General Discussion