Merge PDF files based on preselected criteria

Merge PDF files based on preselected criteria

Postby » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:51 am

Hi!

Any ideas, how to implement following scenario:
Custmer want to merge invoice with leading documents into one PDF file. invoice and leading documents are alerady in separate native PDF files, not scanned. There will be metadata fields, that will show, what files shall be merged together and in what order.

Hando
Participant

Re: Merge PDF files based on preselected criteria

Postby » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:34 am

Why not put the leading documents into the invoice PDF as attachment? This way you have one file but you can get back to the originals if needed. While you need a custom module/WFA to do that (in fact for any PDF manipulation), I'd really recommend going this way instead of creating a single stream of pages.
Is the customer sure that these documents are always PDF and they will never have say an Excel workbook or a Word document or a zipped file that should be kept as is? In my experience these file formats will eventually appear in every system, hence my suggestion of PDF attachments.
Best Regards,

Daniel Kekesi
DocSoft Hungary
Participant

Postby » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:39 am

Thanks for the idea. Can anyone suggest some good (easy to use) library? Can be commercial :D
Participant

Postby » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:34 am

A very good library exists by Aspose (I'm not affiliated with them). It's all .NET managed code. It's a bit pricey but very well designed, has lots of samples, a forum, and top support. We use their Excel and Word libraries with satisfaction.
One tip for PDF attachments: you can generate the PDF files so that if they have attachment then the attachment pane in Adobe Reader will automatically open, revealing the attachments without a need to click on an icon. This will save time for the users and for you (they won't come asking where the attachments are).
Best Regards,

Daniel Kekesi
DocSoft Hungary
Participant

Return to Kofax Transformation Modules General Discussion