Your contribution is needed: Feature Requests for KTM!

Postby wolfgang.radl@kofax.com » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:07 am

Agree on that. You always have to resort to regular expressions or scripts to make error messages "more understandable".
Kind Regards,
Wolfgang Radl
KOFAX Sales Engineer
wolfgang.radl@kofax.com
Participant

Regionalisation & Customisation

Postby tony.balme@basware.com » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:50 am

Seeing as you are on the topic of error messages, I'll expand it a bit ;)

What’s needed?
The ability for scripts to change all hard-wired text or region specific functionality within KTM.
(All text string & values are held externally, scripting will handle it)

Why?
The need for a single functionality rich KTM project, to be used for all sales demo’s and customer implementations in various countries.

Possible Solutions
1) Provide a ‘supported’ method to change text within the KTM project file.
So, we take a KTM project, run a script and for example, change all text items from English to German. All the changes would be saved to the project file.

2) KTM 3.5 introduced run-time text-label changing on the validation form, however some text is still fixed within the project it would be nice if scripts could change them like the labels.
-> Image viewer pop-up hints (index field Display Name)
-> Regular Expression Validation: contains an error description
-> Built-in Formatters & Validation types : contain in-built error messages
An alternative to 1)? Or perhaps in addition as it would allow text to be customised per-user.

3) The following contain region/language specific information, perhaps dictionaries could be used?
-> Amount Group Locator: contains keywords and document type codes
-> Tax Rates: Header Locator & Amount Group Locator contain Tax Rates
tony.balme@basware.com
Participant

ODBC Dialogs

Postby tony.balme@basware.com » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:26 am

Changing the topic totally...

ODBC Dialogs - popular with users, but very limited

1) Allow column headers to be defined via script
-> table’s column names are rarely suitable for users
-> if views are used to get around this then scripts must be maintained for each language

2) Allow all pre-displayed filters to be set as read-only via script
-> A simple was of preventing users accessing anything they should not

3) Allow SQL to be defined to override existing functionality.
-> Tables contain inactive data, there is no ability to add "where IsActive = True"
-> Data must be filtered, for example to only show suppliers for a company previously selected in KTM Validation, no ability to add "where company = 'COMP1'"
-> "select *" is currently used, inefficient and unnecessary when Column Id's are provided.
-> 'invisible' columns can still be viewed if you double click the column headers (perhaps a bug in 3.1)
[currently, a combination of DB views, DB functions and SQL 'manipulation' are required to solve these]

4) Option to indicate case-insensitivity for particular columns when searching.
-> Oracle is case sensitive, this requires users to get it exactly right. (Case-insensitivity may not be desired on all columns)

5) Allow filtering on the last column (perhaps a bug in 3.1)
-> The last column is missed off the SQL statement. Pre-displayed, one column dialogs are therefore not possible.
Last edited by tony.balme@basware.com on Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
tony.balme@basware.com
Participant

KTM Interface & Usability

Postby tony.balme@basware.com » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:59 am

Final thoughts for the day...

KTM Interface & Usability

1) 'Databases' and Dictionaries
    a) Allow an actual SQL database to be used, with some control of the actual SQL query
    --> nightly refreshes of CSV files are a pain
    --> alternatively, at least allow DB Locator results to be auto-filtered on a column using a previous extracted KTM field, without the need for scripting to remove non-desired results post-extract. For example, if suppliers, are specific-to and confidential-between companies.

2) Allow re-sequencing of all KTM items, like is already possible with locators, including:
    a) Index Fields
    b) Project Settings (dictionaries, databases, validation, formatting)
    --> The sequence of the KTM index fields should be replicated in the generated Document Class when synchronising with a ‘new’ Capture batch class, rather than re-sorting them to alphabetical. Adding a release script to the Document Class would then follow the same sequence.

3) Validation Form designer:
    a) Allow drag/drop or cut/paste to/from a group.
    b) Have something like a snap-to-grid function to auto-align fields.
    c) (if b is not possible) Allow multi-field selection and then alignment of all fields to either left/right/top/bottom.
    d) Allow the creation of multiple designs for a particular Class (Template). Only one is ever ‘active’ and that is the only one checked for errors
    e) Allow an image to be on the form, such as a company logo
    f) Ability to create a copy of an existing validation form
    g) Multiple independently dockable indexing areas (good idea Dániel)
tony.balme@basware.com
Participant

Re:

Postby bollingm@saic.com » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:34 am

bollingm@saic.com wrote:Merge it with INDICIUS.

Well looks like the day has come with KTM 4.0 with Pro add-on.

MikeB.
bollingm@saic.com
Participant

Re: Re:

Postby dkekesi » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:26 am

bollingm@saic.com wrote:

MikeB.

I was just about to say that. I do not know whether to cry or laugh. Indicius will be discontinued, although it was a really great product. OTOH it is good to see that Kofax portfolio became little more optimized.
Best Regards,

Daniel Kekesi
DocSoft Hungary
dkekesi
Participant

Re: Your contribution is needed: Feature Requests for KTM!

Postby pkarmelich » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:58 am

Allow regular expressions to be used for the Evaluation Settings Keywords of
Format Locators. I believe this would allow much greater flexibility and ease of use. I would suggest adding
a check box to the right of "Match each word exactly (not fuzzy)" that allows the use reg exps "Use regular expressions".

Phil
pkarmelich
Participant

Postby dkekesi » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:08 am

pkarmelich wrote:Allow regular expressions to be used for the Evaluation Settings Keywords of
Format Locators. I believe this would allow much greater flexibility and ease of use. I would suggest adding
a check box to the right of "Match each word exactly (not fuzzy)" that allows the use reg exps "Use regular expressions".

Phil

Even better would be to allow the use of a format locator to find keywords. A drop down list would be nice to be able to select the format locator (like the "use results from previous locator" drop down).
Best Regards,

Daniel Kekesi
DocSoft Hungary
dkekesi
Participant

Postby David » Mon May 04, 2009 1:05 am

Perhaps I have missed something, I am not that experienced with KTM 4, but it seems to me that even minor implementations may get a very big footprint when it comes to installed software.

Here are some impressions.
Installing AC 7.5 or KC 8 clients first, then on top of that the complete KTM 4 client package with its substantial requirements added...Insufficient progress bar if you do shouting install as opposite to quite install. Tons of menus added.
New license activation needed on the client. And on all clients? People with software keys is supposed to ignore specific references both in documentation and on screen to hardware license key.
Perhaps 2-3 menus actually used by a given user. Like 1 KC menu and 1-2 KTM menus. Fixing proper shortcuts on the desktop ourselves and a new, combined, much reduced program menu (make sense from the user perspective).

Correct me if I am wrong, but you get a Large footprint and a somewhat cumbersome two step installation approach (two major steps; KC client and then the KTM client).
If this is the common approach, and I haven’t missed something fundamental, I would put on the whish list that a client of KTM with a specific purpose, such as KTM validation, could be deployed with a much reduced foot print and simplified/unified installation procedure.
/David
If you make it idiot-proof, someone will make a better idiot.
David
Participant

Re: Re:

Postby David » Mon May 04, 2009 1:16 am

dkekesi wrote:
bollingm@saic.com wrote:

MikeB.

I was just about to say that. I do not know whether to cry or laugh. Indicius will be discontinued, although it was a really great product. OTOH it is good to see that Kofax portfolio became little more optimized.

Agreed. But question is, was it an intentional move to optimize the portfolio? I mean, there is an overflow of new products from Kofax and it is not easy for anyone to have a good overview of the current complete portfolio. On top of that we have the re-branding.
I need a map… :roll:
David
Participant

Postby dkekesi » Mon May 04, 2009 11:43 pm

David wrote:Installing AC 7.5 or KC 8 clients first, then on top of that the complete KTM 4 client package with its substantial requirements added...Insufficient progress bar if you do shouting install as opposite to quite install. Tons of menus added.

Well, it's a complex product with many features. I see no problems with the install. I much rather have it installed separately as being installed always with base KC. There was a feature request in the KC thread long ago that the base product should have more detailed installation options (like leaving out OCR/ICR/OMR engines when the system will only read bar codes). I guess it is not possible to satisfy all needs.

New license activation needed on the client. And on all clients? People with software keys is supposed to ignore specific references both in documentation and on screen to hardware license key.

I'm not sure what you mean here. KTM needs no activation on the client (at least I've never done any). Licenses are activated and managed centrally in the License Utility, like with most other Kofax Capture based licenses.

Perhaps 2-3 menus actually used by a given user. Like 1 KC menu and 1-2 KTM menus. Fixing proper shortcuts on the desktop ourselves and a new, combined, much reduced program menu (make sense from the user perspective).

If you select only the validation client to be installed only icons for Validation steps are created. Of course if you install everything the family tree of Kofax Capture expands greatly in the start menu, but you do not need all those features on all stations (I usually install everything on the server only). Also shortcuts and other stuff can be placed on the desktop using domain policies. I find it a lot more convenient to rely on automated methods built into MS AD for desktop customization than using an installer of a vendor.
Best Regards,

Daniel Kekesi
DocSoft Hungary
dkekesi
Participant

Postby David » Tue May 05, 2009 2:48 am

dkekesi wrote:Well, it's a complex product with many features. I see no problems with the install. I much rather have it installed separately as being installed always with base KC. There was a feature request in the KC thread long ago that the base product should have more detailed installation options (like leaving out OCR/ICR/OMR engines when the system will only read bar codes). I guess it is not possible to satisfy all needs.

Ok, I wasn't very clear (actually I guess I was sloppy :mrgreen: ). I don't want to have it always with base KC, I don't think that wouldn't be feasible at all. I agree that it is a good thing to be able to install it separately.
That make good sense. I mean, in many cases you don't have KTM at all.

But look at it this way; you don't have KC to begin with and want to install say 20+ KTM validation stations (people doing KTM validation only!), then you have the big two step approach for a very specific user need.
Basically; what about making it easier to deploy the software given to a specific task and to that deployment in one step? Perhaps the KTM validation is the only example, but I think it is a good example. Now it seems we install a non-propotional amount of things for a common, potentially very well-defined, distributed, process step.

dkekesi wrote:I'm not sure what you mean here. KTM needs no activation on the client (at least I've never done any). Licenses are activated and managed centrally in the License Utility, like with most other Kofax Capture based licenses.
Ok, I have seen some problems on this, but perhaps it was due to errors here. I don't know. But the on-screen text while installing and the installation documentation only talk about “hardware license key” which is a mistake in my opinion. Getting messages on that while installing on a software license site may make one believe that something is wrong.

As I remembers it, you have asked in this forum if someone have made MSI-files on client installations. Did you ever get any MSI-files up and going? And did this include KC+KTM in one MSI file for automated KTM client deployment? I know you could choose in KTM client installation when you (manually?) install, but you still need to add that on top of a full AC/KC client install don't you? And there are at least two reboots involved or so I believe.
If you dind't have KC/AC 7.5 earlier on and was still using "old" .NET 2.0 you are in for a nasty supraise while adding the KTM client... and if you have a large lack of luck (l3? :D ) you may find an old or odd installed graphic adapter that is not 100% Direct X 9c complient.
/David
David
Participant

Postby bollingm@saic.com » Thu May 21, 2009 2:00 pm

Bring back the test and evaluation tools.
bollingm@saic.com
Participant

Postby bollingm@saic.com » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:36 am

Be able to use regular expressions as Keywords in Format Locators.
bollingm@saic.com
Participant

Postby dkekesi » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:55 am

bollingm@saic.com wrote:Be able to use regular expressions as Keywords in Format Locators.

You're not the first to ask that. Look back a little:
viewtopic.php?f=124&t=6395&start=15#p35960
also check this for a solution concept:
viewtopic.php?f=124&t=16647#p36761
Best Regards,

Daniel Kekesi
DocSoft Hungary
dkekesi
Participant

PreviousNext

Return to Kofax Transformation Modules General Discussion