best place to perform extration

best place to perform extration

Postby kofaxuser » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:31 am

Hello,

Imagine this scenario:

# scan and validation in the same physical place (n scan and validation machines).
# the need for a central site (in another physical place connected via http) with 2 AC server in cluster and, as consequence, one (or two) ACIS.
# PDF conversion, release and license control would be made at the central site.

What would be, in your opinion, the best place to perform recognition and extration (unnatended/automatic) and why?

Thank you
kofaxuser
Participant

Postby russell@centuryc.com » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:14 pm

It depends. :)

Placing the services at the Scan/Validation location would eliminate passing the images over the network once possibly twice. It would also eliminate delays as the batch is transmitted to the central site and qued up, processed and sent back down. However, it would consume more CPU resources at the remote site.

Overall, I'd think it's best left at the remote site.
russell@centuryc.com
Participant

Postby kofaxuser » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:11 am

Hello,

That is exactly my opinion. Is the recognition and extration the most cpu intensive step?
At central site we could easily have a cluster. So if we do only PDF conversion, release and license control at the central site, does this justify a cluster?

Thank you
kofaxuser
Participant

Postby russell@centuryc.com » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:39 am

The problem is you're either going to have to upgrade to a enterprise license to allow more then one process per station, or you'll have to buy more licenses to run more stations to do the PDF. Even then, you may not see that much improvement.

You're going to have to do some timing yourself with the types of batches you have. But I'd predict that the time lost in moving batches between sites probably can't be made up with faster machines at the central site.
russell@centuryc.com
Participant

Return to Ascent Licensing and Configurations (EMEA)