Moving from Standalone to Shared License

Moving from Standalone to Shared License

Postby dobbo » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:14 am

Hello,

We're currently using 4 x 5000pm standalone licences but wish to move to a single 25000pm Shared License.

Do I have to move to an AC Internet Server installation or can I just load the shared license on a single networked PC station to be used by the other networked stations?

If so do I just need to run ACLicSrvCfg.exe on the intended license server, and do I need to make any changes to the other Station PC's?

Any help greatly appreciated...
dobbo
Participant

Postby thomas.jergus@kofax.com » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:59 am

Hi Chris,

A shared license service means to license two or more independent Ascent Capture installations within the same location (LAN) through a single license service that is also part of the network and to which only a single license dongle is attached to it. All Ascent Capture installation can make use of the total volume stored on the dongle. This method does not work over the internet (no ACIS alternative). It is very important to know, that you can’t use a shared license key to manage AC 7.x - Stand-Alone (5k/month) Licenses which seems you would own. The shared license key method only works for licenses as 25k/month or above. Further information is available here:

http://www.kofax.com/support/ascent/cap ... ensing.pdf

Once all licenses are merged on a single dongle (serial number), you could also setup the clients as part of an Ascent Capture – Client/Server environment. This would allow working with the same documents from several stations. Details on this installation type are provided in the AC 7.5 – Installation Guide.

I would recommend you contact your Ascent partner or local distributor for details on how to upgrade your system with the most benefit.

Thomas
thomas.jergus@kofax.com
Participant

Postby russell@centuryc.com » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:06 pm

As Thomas says, you need to contact your reseller to talk about licensing. This isn't something you can do on your own.

Ascent capture requires at least a 100Mbit connection between Server and Client. ACIS is not required for local LAN operation.

If you are going over the Internet or a WAN, then you'll need to look at ACIS.
russell@centuryc.com
Participant

Thanks

Postby dobbo » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:11 am

Thanks for the responses - have decided to move to ACIS so will obviously share the license from the Server. Chris.
dobbo
Participant

Return to Ascent Licensing and Configurations (EMEA)