Your export connector may need to be re-installed

Kofax Capture Export Release Scripts

Your export connector may need to be re-installed

Postby dwsdb » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:52 pm

In Windows 2003 server/ Windows XP client / Capture version 9

The Kofax windows export service keeps stopping and will not release.
Export Error: Script #1 (OnBase Script 3.60) [Export Connector Returned -1. Your export connector may need to be re-installed.]

Tried a simple restart of the service.

This is the only thing in the err log from that day:
2014-06-19 11:34:35, 0x00000018, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, C:\Program Files\Ascent\Bin, ACSvc, SCAN1, 9.00.554.0, System, 0, Access is denied, , at System.Diagnostics.EventLog.InternalWriteEvent(UInt32 eventID, UInt16 category, EventLogEntryType type, String[] strings, Byte[] rawData, String currentMachineName)
at System.Diagnostics.EventLog.WriteEntry(String message, EventLogEntryType type, Int32 eventID, Int16 category, Byte[] rawData)
at System.Diagnostics.EventLog.WriteEntry(String message, EventLogEntryType type)
at Kofax.ACService.ACService.WriteEventLogEntryInfo(String strMessage)
2014-06-19 11:34:36, 0x00000018, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, C:\Program Files\Ascent\Bin, ACSvc, SCAN1, 9.00.554.0, ACService.WriteEventLogEntryInfo(), 0, Batch Notification Service service component stopped successfully., ,

I'm not sure what the Access is Denied is pointing to, or that is relevant.

Open to suggestions, thank you!
dwsdb
Participant

Re: Your export connector may need to be re-installed

Postby dkekesi » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:17 pm

It IS relevant. Use ProcMon to locate the inaccessible file. You may need to elevate rights of the user running export.
"-1 reinstall needed" type errors happen during the OpenScript method, when the script initializes itself. The error message is very misleading, and also frustrating since this is the only type of error you can produce during script initialization (or I didn't find any other... I'm open to ideas). So in 99,9% of the cases you do not need to reinstall the export connector if you see this error as it will not solve anything. You should fix the error explained in the exception.
Best Regards,

Daniel Kekesi
DocSoft Hungary
dkekesi
Participant

Postby russell@centuryc.com » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:44 am

As dkekesi, says message "Your export connector may need to be re-installed" is a highly generic and nearly meaningless. However, I would note that the release script has to be installed on every station it's used on. If you install it once, it will appear system-wide, but it can only be used on that one machine. You'll have to repeat the install on every machine that is to run it as well as every machine that will be use to setup or publish batch classes that use it.

That "Access is denied" needs to be checked on.
Russell
russell@centuryc.com
Participant

Postby krsmitty » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:05 am

Not sure I completely understand about having the release script installed on each work station. In the Admin module I created a new ODBC Database Export connector in one of our batch/doc classes. I then published the batch class. We did some testing running Export on my work station and everything seemed to work ok. But received the "Your export connector may need to be re-installed" when I run Export on another work station. So, how do you install on each work station?

Thanks,
krsmitty
Participant

Postby russell@centuryc.com » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:28 am

krsmitty wrote:So, how do you install on each work station?

It's a lot like Microsoft Office. You can install Office on your machine and create a document, but if you want to open the document on another machine, it also has to have Office.

In this case, simply installing Capture isn't enough. You also have to install the release script on each machine that will run it. You won't have to configure the release script, since that's already part of the batch classes (much like a Word document doesn't have to be retyped).

I don't know the details about this release script, but if you repeat the original process on each machine until you reach the part where you add the release script to your batch class, that should work. So you may need to install it into capture on each machine, just not configure it.
Russell
russell@centuryc.com
Participant

Postby krsmitty » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:40 am

Thanks Russell...

Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing. When you say "release script" are you referring to a "Export connector"? Such as the Database Export Connector. I believe they called them release scripts in older versions of Capture.
krsmitty
Participant

Postby krsmitty » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:10 am

We did some testing and looks like you are right Russell. When I run Export from the main Kofax server the Export connector works ok. But, when I run Export from another work station I receive an error with the Export Connector. So, is this what you are implying to that the Export connector/release script needs to be installed on the work station itself? If so, how do I do the "install"? Is there a .exe/.msi or something like that that I need to run at the work station(s)?

Thanks,
krsmitty
Participant

Postby russell@centuryc.com » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:15 pm

What are now called Export used to be called Release. No change in functionality.

Yes, you need to install the script on each machine that will be doing Export/Release. The process is exactly the same as how you installed it on the server. You just skip the part where you add it and configure it to your batch class.
Russell
russell@centuryc.com
Participant

Postby krsmitty » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:14 am

russell@centuryc.com wrote:What are now called Export used to be called Release. No change in functionality.

Yes, you need to install the script on each machine that will be doing Export/Release. The process is exactly the same as how you installed it on the server. You just skip the part where you add it and configure it to your batch class.

We never had to install anything. It was part of Capture when installed on the server.
krsmitty
Participant

Postby russell@centuryc.com » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:10 pm

If you're using the script that's part of capture, then yes, I would expect it to be installed everywhere capture is.

The message you're getting is a rather generic "something went wrong" message. Lots of things can trigger that. Kofax is not real robust as far as error messages go.

Go back and review how you're accessing the database. Make sure the path you've chosen can be duplicated by the each station - meaning it should be a share path, not a local drive.
Russell
russell@centuryc.com
Participant

Postby krsmitty » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:41 am

Looks like I figured it out...

I originally created the Export Connector logged into the main Kofax server. And as we know, Export and the Export Connector worked ok as long as it was running from the main Kofax server.

I went to the work station that we normally run Export on and brought up Admin. Then went into the Export Connector I created earlier and received errors that the Index fields were not connected to the DB2 database. So, I remapped the Index values to the Database columns, published and everything worked ok.

So, It sounds like we may need to access the Export Connector on each workstation and make sure we are mapped correctly. I am assuming that we are "installing" in a way, the Export connector (release script) on the actual work station(s) where Export will run.

Thanks for the help!
krsmitty
Participant

Postby russell@centuryc.com » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:37 pm

krsmitty wrote:I went to the work station that we normally run Export on and brought up Admin. Then went into the Export Connector I created earlier and received errors that the Index fields were not connected to the DB2 database. So, I remapped the Index values to the Database columns, published and everything worked ok.

Uh, that's odd. I can understand not finding the database, but saying the mapping is off - it suggests you were looking at different database. Remember, however you set it up, the way it accesses it has to be consistent on all machines. If you're using a ODBC source, then that same source has to exist with the same name on all machines. Consistency, consistency, consistency.
Russell
russell@centuryc.com
Participant

Return to Kofax Capture Export Connector - ERP