Slow scans with Fujitsu 6140

Slow scans with Fujitsu 6140

Postby » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:37 am

I am testing a Fujitsu 6140 with the Kofax Desktop. It works fine with using External mode, but when I change to Kofax mode, it scans about 5 pages, and then slows down to scanning about 1 page every 5 - 10 secs. Is there some setting that can give me full speed scanning in Kofax mode? I really like the Kofax blank page deletion feature, and is the main reason why I want to use Kofax mode.

Thanks.
Participant

Re: Slow scans with Fujitsu 6140

Postby » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:01 pm

Hi John,

When using the External mode with the scanner, can you make sure the mode is set to Color scanning (as opposed to black and white or grayscale) and do some testing with that?
Participant

Postby » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:38 am

So far, pretty much the same. Here were the results:

8 color, 256 color and 4 bit greyscale modes were not supported.

24 bit color on external mode worked. The document scanned fast (no pauses between pages). However, it did take some time after the scan to transfer from buffered memory to Kofax Desktop.

I left the external mode on 24 bit color and changed back to Kofax mode. In Kofax mode, the first 4 pages scanned fast (no pauses) and then there was a 5 to 10 second delay between all subseqent pages.

I tried the same thing with greyscale, with the same results. Any ideas? I saw in the knowledgebase where the auto orientation caused slow scanning. Is there a way to turn that off in Kofax Desktop?
Participant

Postby » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:34 pm

Thank you for testing with the native mode.

Can you please let me know the following information:

1. What are the specs of the PC you are using? (CPU, RAM)

2. What Windows version are you using? (XP, Vista, etc.)

3. What scanner settings are you using?
B & W, Color, or Automatic?
Quality (Draft, Normal, High, or Very High)?
One Side or Both Sides?
Delete Blank Page?
Page Setup (Letter, Legal, Maximum, etc.)?
Auto Crop?

4. Is the scanner using a USB or SCSI connection?

5. What version of Kofax Desktop are you using? To find this, you can open the Kofax Desktop main window, go the Resources ribbon, and select About. The Product version is what I am looking for.

If you are using version 1.00.189.0, can you please change the transfer mode to Native? For information on how to do this, please see the Knowledgebase article # 12618 (http://knowledgebase.kofax.com/faqsearc ... QAID=12618)
Participant

Postby » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:48 pm

(1) Intel Core 2 CPU T7200 2 GHz, 2 GB Ram
(2) Vista Business
(3) B&W, Normal, Duples, Blank Page Delete, Auto Crop, Letter
(4) USB
(5) 1.00.189.0, VRS 4.5

I set the transfer mode to native, and that seemed to do the trick. It dramatically sped up both the scans and the image processing.

BTW, is there any kind of integration between Kofax Desktop and Kofax VRS? It is not real clear from the documentation what (if any) integration exists.

Thanks for all the help!
Participant

Postby » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:19 am

Hi John,

I am glad to hear that changing the transfer mode to Native helped out the scan speed.

In answer to the question you posed, Kofax Desktop does have some cleanup functions that are similar to VRS. However, VRS 4.5 has a number of additional image clean-up functions that can be used. In addition, with VRS, various scanning applications can be used with it.

Also, Kofax Express 2.0 uses VRS technology to provide image clean-up functions. These functions are above what Kofax Desktop offers.

Both VRS 4.5 and Kofax Express 2.0 can be downloaded and tested with, much like Kofax Desktop. When testing with VRS 4.5, an image you scan will have a Kofax demo stamp applied to each page.

To download VRS 4.5: ftp://ftp.kofax.com/pub/support/ipbu/vr ... elease.zip

To download Kofax Express 2.0: http://www.kofax.com/express/download.asp

You do not need to uninstall Kofax Desktop if you want to try Kofax Express 2.0 or VRS 4.5. These applications can co-exist on the same PC.
Participant

Postby » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:06 pm

Can I use the VRS 4.5 driver with Kofax Desktop?
Participant

Postby » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:08 pm

Hi John,

Kofax Desktop uses the scanner's TWAIN driver to communicate with the scanner. VRS would use the ISIS driver for the Fujitsu fi-6140. Both drivers should be able to co-exist on the same PC.
Participant

Postby » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:16 am

Doesn't the VRS driver itself provide a TWAIN interface? I was looking for some way to select the VRS driver from Kofax Desktop, much in the same way I can select the VRS driver as a "scanner" in Acrobat. (Or is that just unnecessary?) Thanks.
Participant

Postby » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:44 am

Hi John,

Although it is true that VRS can be used with TWAIN applications, you cannot use VRS with Kofax Desktop. The cleanup functions available to you when using Kofax Desktop are provided by Kofax Desktop alone, no outside application like VRS is allowed.
Participant

Return to Kofax Desktop General Discussion