Kofax Desktop 2.0 with a Truper 3600 scanner

Kofax Desktop 2.0 with a Truper 3600 scanner

Postby » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:59 am

I have installed Kofax desktop 2.0 for a trial use, but it does not automatically recognize my BBH 3600 scanner. I also have a HP 8300 which I use as a backup, and that one does show up automatically. When I try to "add scanner" manually, the selection for the BBH 3600 scanner appears, but when I select it and click "OK," it still does not appear on the list of scanners, only the HP 8300 shows up. It was suggested to me that perhaps I do not have the scanner's native TWAIN driver installed, but I'm not sure how to find, or install a native TWAIN driver. When I got the scanner, I used the installation disk that came with it. The driver that is showing up in the device manager for the BBH 3600 is a generic Microsoft driver circa about 2005, and when I try to update it, it can't find any "more recent" drivers. I've tried downloading from the BBH (now Kodak) link in your Kofax Desktop web site, but when I tried to install the downloaded software, there is no separate selection for installing drivers, and installing the download as a whole did nothing to change the situation, so I guess I don't know where to go for a native TWAIN driver and how to install it if I can find one. The BBH 3600 scanner is my primary scanner and it appears, and works fine directly through Adobe Acrobat (scan to pdf) and also when I just use the VRS 4.5. I like the Kofax Desktop program, but not if I can't use my primary scanner. I would appreciate any suggestions. Help would be appreciated. Thanks very much.
Participant

Re: Kofax Desktop 2.0 with a Truper 3600 scanner

Postby » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:12 pm

When you scan with Adobe Acrobat, what is the name of the scan source you are selecting?
Is it Kofax Software-VRS?
Participant

Postby » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:06 pm

When I select "scan to pdf," in Acrobat, a window pops up and the pull down "scanner" selection menu includes: "Bowe Bell+Howell 3600 TWAIN," which I usually select. It also shows (among others): "Kofax Software VRS-TWAIN," "HP Scanjet 8300 series TWAIN and "WIA-HP Scanjet 8300 series" as scanners I can select. So, in answer to your question, while the "Kofax Software - VRS TWAIN" is one that I can select from the menu, the selection I always use is "Bowe Bell+Howell 3600 TWAIN" unless I am using the backup scanner (HP Scanjet 8300), which is rare. When I do, I use the "HP Scanjet 8300 series TWAIN" selection. Thanks.
Participant

Postby » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:47 pm

Apparently you do have a TWAIN driver installed then.

When attempting to add a scanner, have you selected the check-box option of searching for WIA drivers?
Also, you do only have one of these scanners connected at a time, Correct?
Participant

Postby » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:07 pm

Another question,

Apparently this was happening before installing the 'Kodak' software, but if you downloaded VRS 4.5 from this site, this version is for the new 3210/3610 scanners, which are not compatible with the 3600 series.
Are you able to test the scanner on another station? If so, try installing the software from this Kodak link first, then try installing Kofax Desktop and see if this gets you running. Otherwise, you will need to uninstall VRS. Please let me know before deciding to do so.
http://download.kodak.com/docimaging/dr ... RS4.20.zip

This download also includes a WIA driver, which may be what you need with this scanner in lieu of TWAIN.
Participant

Postby » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:20 pm

I have tried both checking and unchecking the "wia" box. When the box is checked, the selection for "WIA - HP Scanjet 8300 series" shows up and is automatically added. I do not need to manually add it. As to scanners, both the HP 8300 and the BBH 3600 are connected through USB ports. There is also an HP 7410 Officejet connected through a network port (which does show up automatically on the Kofax Destop software). However, when I was trying to solve the problem earlier, I did disconnect the HP Scanjet 8300 (for other reasons) but that made no difference as far as being able to select the BBH 3600 in Kofax Desktop.
Participant

Postby » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:56 pm

The sequence was this: I learned about the Kofax Desktop 2.0 and was intrigued because I like your products. I downloaded and installed it (still using my install of VRS 4.2) No luck with the BBH scanner. When checking to see if there was any explanation on the Kofax Desktop website, I downloaded VRS 4.5 because I thought that might be the problem and installed that. No difference. I then downloaded the VRS software from the link to BBH/Kodak on your website for "updated drivers. I tried to install jsut drivers, but no success. I then installed the VRS software from the Kodak site. Still no success. Then I e-mailed Kofax directly and was referred to the forum. There is only one computer that I can use to test the software because of the logistics with the scanners. Obviously the VRS license is on that computer and I really don't want to uninstall it because the last time I went through this, I had to contact Kofax to reinstall and get the right license number (which allows auto color detect, (for example (although that feature did not work through Acrobat). If it came to that, I wouild probably just consider this a lost cause, give up on Kofax Desktop and just use Acrobat. Thanks.
Participant

Postby » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:28 pm

In my testing, I encountered similar symptoms. Here is a workaround that worked for me:

After you add the WIA scanner, the Scanner Configuration Utility window will still appear to not list any scanners. Click the “Select Manufacturer” drop down list (it should be set to “All” by default) and see if Kodak or BBH shows up as an option in the dropdown list. If so, select it. This should cause the WIA driver to appear in the main window and allow it to be selected.

This is the procedure I followed in order to get Desktop 2.0 to recognize the WIA driver for my Fujitsu 5530C2 scanner. I can’t guarantee that it will work for the Truper, but it’s worth a shot.

Thanks,

John
Participant

Postby » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:53 pm

Thanks John. Still no luck. The BBH Truper 3600 does show up on the manufacturer's list, but even after I select it ("manually add scanner") and click "ok" it is not added as a recognized scanner. BBH only has ISIS and TWAIN drivers, and I believe that the Kofax Desktop needs the TWAIN driver for the BBH 3600, which is in fact installed, and recognized by the Kofax VRS program and in Acrobat, but for some reason it is not recognized by Kofax Desktop. Thanks for the suggestion though. I think the Kofax engineers are trying to replicate the issue and find a solution. Thanks.
Participant

Postby » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:55 am

Hello,

I have read your post and I think I have a similiar problem with the B&H Spectrum XF. The scanner is used for Ascent Capture 7.5 (VRS 4.1). I am connected using an adrenaline card. The scanner works fine with this application. It can also use the Microsoft Office Document Imaging scanning software with the "Kofax Software - Twain" driver.

But, the Desktop 2.0 software gets the "add scanner" message with no devices listed.

Was there an answer from Kofax for your problem?

thanks.
Participant

Postby » Fri May 07, 2010 12:56 pm

Unfortunately, We have been unable to create a usable workaround for integrating Kofax Desktop with this scanner.
We hope to the Truper 3600 certified when a major upgrade is planned for this product, but at this point in time, a workable solution is not available.
Participant

Postby » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:36 am

Has there been any update on this issue? We are currently experiencing this same problem with a Truper 3610.
Participant

Postby » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:06 pm

Unfortunately, I am seeing the same behavior with the Truper 3610 model.
I have not seen an update for this issue, but I will update the ticket on this issue and see if there is any news.
Participant

Postby » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:22 am

Due to driver integration issues between the BBH Truper series scanners and Kofax Desktop, a resolution to this issue is not likely until the next major release of the Kofax Desktop product (Release ETA is still unknown).
In the meantime, these scanners ship with a fully licensed OEM version of VRS that can be used with most any other scanning application. To download or upgradeVRS, locate your scanner model listed in the link below and select 'Drivers and Downloads'.
VRS 4.5 is available for all Truper series scanners (3200/3210/3600/3610).

http://graphics.kodak.com/docimaging/US ... /index.htm

There are also more support options available with VRS. The details of which can be found here:

http://www.kofaxshop.com/support/
Participant

Postby » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:14 pm

Good news!
A Patch has been created and certified for release regarding Kofax Desktop 2.0 being unable to Connect To BBH Truper Scanners.the patch has been posted to Kofax Desktop 2.0 Downloads Web page.
http://www.kofax.com/support/Desktop/2. ... nloads.asp.
Participant

Return to Kofax Desktop General Discussion