kofax desktop with hp scanjet 7000

kofax desktop with hp scanjet 7000

Postby richforever » Thu May 27, 2010 6:08 am

Hello!

This is what im currently using. Kofax Desktop with the HP Scanjet 7000. I have 3 issues but one main problem.
Im at a job that requires me to scan and save copies of driver license's. So my main problem is that while the text is clear as day, the picture on the driver license comes out pitch black. While i can physically see the picture in my hands really clear.The other issues is that I sometimes have scans that come out as upside down while other scans dont, and sometimes I put in color paper(blue) and it scans as white with the text still visable.
richforever
Participant

Re: kofax desktop with hp scanjet 7000

Postby david.tankersley@kofax.com » Thu May 27, 2010 9:58 am

Hello,
"the picture on the driver license comes out pitch black"
Are you scanning in black & white mode? Does this also appear in when scanning in gray-scale?
do the photos have watermarking over them?

"I sometimes have scans that come out as upside down while other scans don't"
Are all of the images being fed in the same direction?

"sometimes I put in color paper(blue) and it scans as white with the text still visible"

I am not sure what your goal is here. Are you scanning in color? if so, do you have "ignore background color" enabled?

Also, by default, Kofax Desktop scans using it's own scan mode settings (kofax). In some cases you may want use the External mode and use the scanners native TWAIN driver settings instead. To enable this, go to Scan settings and select 'External' from the 'Mode' drop-down menu and see if you prefer the results of this option.

Please let me know how this goes for you.
david.tankersley@kofax.com
Participant

Postby richforever » Fri May 28, 2010 6:45 am

Yes I have tried color, black & white, and grayscale. I have tried using the native settings from the scanner as well, such using the scanner wizard mode and using paint. The pictures do not have a water mark on them. Some pictures pictures are lesser quality than some but the clear one berley come out visable and the bad ones do not come out at all. Yes the pages are being fed in the same direction. I do not have ignore background color on. I have tried using the external mode and while adjusting the settings made little differnce and was still not enough.
richforever
Participant

Postby david.tankersley@kofax.com » Fri May 28, 2010 8:17 am

How do normal images appear, such as standard 8.5x11 text documents?

Are you able to scan the same images well in any other application?

I'm thinking that the built-in settings for the VRS engine may not be suitable for the images you are working with.
However, the HP ScanJet 7000 ships with an OEM version of VRS 4.5. Have you tried VRS 4.5? If you have not,
I suggest that you review the installation & user guide before installing the software and compare results.
Participant

Postby richforever » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:38 am

Yes any other document besides the copy of driver license's come out fine. The other apllications of used is the native scanner's wizard mode and paint but no better results. I have not tried VRS but would rather stick to kofax desktop as it is much easier than anything I've used before and as I see VRS is rather costly for my budget.
richforever
Participant

Postby david.tankersley@kofax.com » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:03 am

Without being able to see your images, I can only guess that the nature of your images is not easily reproducible through the TWAIN driver and the VRS presets that are created for Kofax Desktop and this scanner model.
Please attach a sample of the color image so that I can see if there is anything I can suggest for you.

By the way,
You actually do have VRS available to you for free. HP has an OEM-licensed version of VRS available for download which I have linked below. HP should be able to answer basic VRS questions, but if not, you would then qualify for paid phone support regarding VRS if necessary.
Participant

Postby david.tankersley@kofax.com » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:03 am

Participant

Postby david.tankersley@kofax.com » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:30 am

Do you have any update for us?
Are you able to send a sample image, or are you testing VRS?
Participant

Postby richforever » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:13 am

Yes I have sent you some sample pictures in a private message but after just recently talking with HP I've been told that the reason that the images are not coming out clear is because the scanner can only go up to 600dpi and that im going have to get something more powerful for better clearer images.
richforever
Participant

Postby david.tankersley@kofax.com » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:38 am

I find that statement a little hard to believe. 600 dpi will create very large files and is much more resolution than is necessary for most scanner to reproduce a continuous-toned image. Using the scanner's native drivers and scanning software, you are unable to see ANY of the photos when scanning in color or grayscale, or is this as you said and only some of the images are visible? Can you please attach the samples to this forum? I did not get your samples.
I do think that VRS may be the better solution for you, but if the scanner itself is unable to produce a consistent image within the photos, you may indeed need to try another scanner. However, I am hoping to help you avoid having to do that.
Participant

Postby david.tankersley@kofax.com » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:08 pm

Thanks for the samples,

Using the VRS option, are you able to adjust the VRS settings to get a better result?
Is Advanced Clarity an available option and does this help at all.

If you are still getting poor results, would it be possible to send me a card to test locally?
Participant

Postby richforever » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:11 am

Yes i did tried to clear up the picture on VRS and still no better results. NO i cant send a copy to you, beacause their license's with private information.
richforever
Participant

Postby david.tankersley@kofax.com » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:32 am

Understood. I was hoping that perhaps there was a generic sample that was ok to use for testing purposes.
Using VRS, is the Advanced Clarity option available to you? If not, see QAID 7069, linked below to enable this feature in Demo mode. Using any of the Advanced Clarity options, does this help the situation at all?

http://knowledgebase.kofax.com/faqsearc ... ?QAID=7069
Participant

Return to Kofax Desktop General Discussion