Unclear on how Kofax Desktop integrates with Kofax VRS

Unclear on how Kofax Desktop integrates with Kofax VRS

Postby kurtkurtosis » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:47 am

I have a Fujitsu fi-6130 scanner which comes with an OEM copy of Kofax VRS 4.2. I recently downloaded VRS 4.5 from the Fujitsu website and realized that the previous 4.2 desktop capability has been removed from version 4.5. I then installed an evaluation copy of Kofax Desktop.

I have some issues and questions about this product before I am ready to purchase it. My goal is to use VRS 4.5 with the previous desktop capability that I think is a must have.

Kofax Desktop does not seem to be compatible with ISIS drivers only TWAIN. Not sure what limitations that causes since I have been using 4.2 only with the ISIS driver. Also, I have installed now both VRS 4.5 (including the SR1 patch) and Kofax Desktop on a new Windows 7 64-bit system while I used XP 32-bit previously with VRS 4.2. From what I can tell Desktop works after installing the TWAIN driver, but I don't think it uses any of the VRS capability as the pages are neither auto cropped or auto-rotated from what I can tell.

It is totally unclear to me how Desktop integrates and links up with VRS.

Thanks,
Kurt
kurtkurtosis
Participant

Re: Unclear on how Kofax Desktop integrates with Kofax VRS

Postby david.tankersley@kofax.com » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:54 pm

hello Kurt,

The Fujitsu OEM version of VRS 4.5 does include desktop productivity, but to my knowledge this has not been tested on 64-bit systems and so may not work.
Kofax Desktop is more or less an updated version of the Desktop Productivity features you saw with VRS 4.2.
Kofax Desktop does indeed use VRS transparently with the TWAIN driver (in some cases it uses a WIA driver). However, this is a light version of VRS with very little configuration options and this VRS installation is entirely different and separate from your VRS 4.5 installation.
Auto Crop is an available option and you can manually correct the orientation after the scan before exporting/releasing the images, or if the scanner driver has an Auto-Orientation option, you can use that.

I hope that helps.
Please let me know if you have any other questions.
david.tankersley@kofax.com
Participant

Postby kurtkurtosis » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:05 pm

David, thanks for your reply and advice.

If I understand correctly there are differences between the Fujitsu OEM VRS 4.5 version and the Kofax VRS 4.5 version that's sold as a stand-alone product. Previoulsly, I read that there is no difference according to this website. With the Kofax service patch 1 VRS 4.51 is 64-bit WIN 7 compatible according to the release notes. I actually installed the patch on top of the Fujitsu OEM VRS 4.5 install. But that didn't seem to do anything. But it may not be compatible in the end.

Generally all Windows 32-bit application work just fine on a Windows 64-bit platform, the apps just can't access memory beyond 2GB - I got 12 GB but that is just an aside. I have many 32 bit apps that work just fine under WIN 7-64. As a matter of fact VRS 4.5 may be the first one I have encounterred that causes issues, although it does seems to work fine except for the loss of some functionality. I have to scan the VC demo tool that is the only way I can operate under WIN 7-64. That may give you an idea of why this is not worable for big jobs.

I did really like to know what my options are as I have to scan several hunded books and manually cropping and rotating doesn't make sense. That's what I liked about version 4.2. It did the best job of any document software I could find.

If I understand correctly, I should consider the folllowing two options:
1) Use OEM VRS 4.5 version but install on WIN 7-32 on a separate drive just for using VRS & fi-6130 scanner.
2) Purchase Kofax VRS 4.5 along with Kofax Desktop 2.0 but I can use WIN 7-64 with identical or better capability to VRS 4.2

Is this correct?

Regards,
Kurt
kurtkurtosis
Participant

Postby kurtkurtosis » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:14 pm

David,

If you go to the following Fujitsu link below it indicates that both the TWAIN & ISIS drivers are WIN 7-64 compatible. Why do they have 64-bit drivers if their flagship scan software is not even compatible with 64-bit? I find that a bit puzzling...

Obviously, I will have to also follow-up with Fujisu on the VRS 4.5 issues.

http://www.fujitsu.com/global/support/c ... .html#isis

Kurt
kurtkurtosis
Participant

Postby david.tankersley@kofax.com » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:41 pm

I assume that Fujitsu does plan on making their scan software 64-bit compatible.
However, I would guess that their higher priority is to make the drivers compatible so that third party applications, such as Kofax, can communicate with their scanners.
Participant

Postby kurtkurtosis » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:19 pm

After traveling for 3 weeks overseas I was finally able to verify that VRS 4.5 (as downloaded from the Fujitsu website) works fine on Windows 7 32-bit for the Fujitsu fi-6130 scanner but the software does not install correctly on Windows 7-64 bit. I used the TWAIN, ISIS drivers (WIN 7, 32/64 bit compatible) also from the Fujitsu website. I am not happy but I suppose I can live with having a 2nd hard drive installed just for WIN 7-32 & Kofax VRS 4.5 for now. We live in a 64-bit world not 32-bit as far as I am concerned.

The main issue with WIN 7-64 is that the desktop feature is removed from VRS 4.5 which is a total show stopper for me. It's possible that there are other issues but I haven't taken the time to explore.

Kurt
kurtkurtosis
Participant

Postby kurtkurtosis » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:27 pm

One important thing I forgot to mention is that one has to turn off UAC (User Account Control) in WIN 7 otherwise even the 32 bit version won't install correctly. This cost me a couple of hours to of my time to figure. It is in the documentation but then who reads these PDF files anyway.

I have many Apps installed on my machine but VRS 4.5 is the only one that exhibits this idiosyncrasy .

Kurt
kurtkurtosis
Participant

Postby david.tankersley@kofax.com » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:33 am

Try installing VRS 4.5 SP1 from our site.
ftp://ftp.kofax.com/pub/support/vrs_sca ... elease.zip

VRS 4.5 sp1 needs to be in place to be supported with Windows 7 32 or 64 bit.
Participant

Postby david.tankersley@kofax.com » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:01 am

By the way,

Have you tried Kofax Desktop? It is the updated version of Desktop productivity with new features.
It is compatible with Windows 7 64-bit and can be evaluated with all features functioning for free.
http://www.kofax.com/personal-scanning-software/
Participant

Postby igreen » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:34 am

I have tried installing the Kofax desktop but there seems to be no way to use VRS with kofax desktop. The only twain drivers available to use with the desktop are those that came with the Fujutsu. I tried to use tha Kofax scanner cofiguration utiltiy to create twain scanner sources but Kofax desktop could not find them. Like Kurt the desktop feature is also a show stopper for me. I also use Win 7-64.
Ivor

david.tankersley@kofax.com wrote:By the way,

Have you tried Kofax Desktop? It is the updated version of Desktop productivity with new features.
It is compatible with Windows 7 64-bit and can be evaluated with all features functioning for free.
http://www.kofax.com/personal-scanning-software/
igreen
Participant

Postby david.tankersley@kofax.com » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:53 am

Kofax Desktop uses the scanner's TWAIN driver. Have you installed the TWAIN driver? What scanner make & model are you using?
Kofax Desktop uses VRS, but operates independently of the VRS 4.x installation. If you are trying to use the VRS scanner Configuration Utility to create a source that Desktop can use, this will not work because Kofax Desktop only looks for a standard TWAIN or WIA driver. Kofax Desktop does indeed use VRS technology when connected to the scanner.
Participant

Return to Kofax Desktop General Discussion