Kofax Desktop 2 very slow

Kofax Desktop 2 very slow

Postby igreen » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:44 am

I have been using Kofax Desktop 2 as a replacement for the desktop feature of VRS 4.2. The desktop feature of VRS 4.2 was excellent. It was very fast and responsive.

I use a Fujitsu FI6130 scanner. My OS is win 7-64 bit. When I use Kofax Desktop 2 initially there is a 5-10 second delay while the Kofax Desktop software "reserves the scanner" then it stops and waits about 5 seconds between scanning each page. This occurs even for a low resolution B&W scan. My scanner usually scans about 40 pages (80 sides) per minute. Using Kofax Desktop 2 it does about 10 pages per minute ( one quater normal speed). Thus I only use the Kofax Desktop 2 for very small documents. Larger documents take too long and I have to use other software to scan them in.

Is there something I can do in order to recitfy this speed degradation?
Ivor
igreen
Participant

Re: Kofax Desktop 2 very slow

Postby john.killinger » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:34 am

How are your scan settings configured?

Rated scanner speeds for VRS 4.x are measured when scanning single-sided, BW, 200dpi without any advanced VRS functions enabled.

By default, Kofax Desktop 2 enables duplex scanning with blank-page deletion. Choosing Single-sided scanning and turning off blank-page deletion will provide you with a noticeable increase in speed.

You can also try changing the scan mode from Kofax to External and see if that makes a difference.
Last edited by john.killinger on Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
john.killinger
Participant

Postby igreen » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:21 pm

I have set it up to do B & W at 150 dpi. I have had this scanner for 1.5 years now and it has been consistently very fast. In fact it works very fast and well with the desktop component of VRS 4.2 (at 300dpi with duplex and blank page deletion). Unfortunately the desktop componend of VRS 4.2 is no supported in the WIndows 7-64 bit environement. Kofax desktop is the only program where speed has been an issue.
Ivor

john.killinger wrote:How are your scan settings configured?

Rated scanner speeds are measured when scanning single-sided, BW, 200dpi without any advanced VRS functions enabled.

By default, Kofax Desktop 2 enables duplex scanning with blank-page deletion. Choosing Single-sided scanning and turning off blank-page deletion will provide you with a noticeable increase in speed.

You can also try changing the scan mode from Kofax to External and see if that makes a difference.
igreen
Participant

Postby cliff.skoglund@kofax.com » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:51 pm

Can you change the Transfer Mechanism to Native Transfer Mode and test? To change the transfer mode in Kofax Desktop 2.0 please see the below steps:

1. Open the Kofax Desktop Administration dialog (from the Kofax Desktop folder in the Start Menu)
2. Go to the TWAIN options selection on the left
3. Change the radio button selection to 'Use Native Transfer Mode'.
4. Select OK

Now go and test the scanning speed and please let us know the results.
cliff.skoglund@kofax.com
Participant

Postby igreen » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:07 am

Thank you for your suggestion. I have tried your recommendations and there seems to be no noticable difference.

When I start to scan a document there is a 5-10 second delay while Kofax puts up a message "finding scanner". Then there is a 5 second delay between each page beeing scanned. When I used the VRS desktop scanning utility there was no noticable delay between each page.
Ivor

cliff.skoglund@kofax.com wrote:Can you change the Transfer Mechanism to Native Transfer Mode and test? To change the transfer mode in Kofax Desktop 2.0 please see the below steps:

1. Open the Kofax Desktop Administration dialog (from the Kofax Desktop folder in the Start Menu)
2. Go to the TWAIN options selection on the left
3. Change the radio button selection to 'Use Native Transfer Mode'.
4. Select OK

Now go and test the scanning speed and please let us know the results.
igreen
Participant

Postby john.killinger » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:44 am

Did you switch to single-sided scanning and turn off Blank Page Deletion?
john.killinger
Participant

Postby igreen » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:11 am

I haven't tried single-sided scanning and switching off blank page deletion as yet. However, even if I did it would not affect the initial 5-10 second delay while Kofax puts up a message "finding scanner". Furthermore I have been using duplex scanning with blank page deletion or over 12 months now with VRS desktop with no performance degradation and no initial scanning delay. Could the problem be the Windows 64-bit environment? Could perhaps Kofax desktop apps some compatibility issues with a 64-bit environment?
Ivor

john.killinger wrote:Did you switch to single-sided scanning and turn off Blank Page Deletion?
igreen
Participant

Postby john.killinger » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:19 am

In my testing (Win XP SP3 32-bit, 2GB RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo, with Fujitsu fi-6140c), I saw significant reduction of delay between pages when I changed the Transfer Mode to Native (Kofax Desktop Administration | TWAIN Options). However, the initial time to reserve the scanner remained.

Kofax Desktop interfaces with the scanner differently than VRS 4.x. Desktop uses the scanner's TWAIN or WIA driver while VRS uses the ISIS driver.

I was also able to access the scanner in Desktop using its WIA driver. This greatly reduced the scanner reserve time, but also resulted in a reduction of image quality.
john.killinger
Participant

Postby john.killinger » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:27 am

There is one other difference between VRS and Desktop that should be noted in this conversation:

When creating a black and white image, VRS requests a grayscale (8-bit) original from the scanner. VRS then uses the grayscale information to perform its image cleanup before converting the image to Black and White (1-bit).

Kofax Desktop uses a color (24-bit) original image from the scanner in order to perform its image cleanup functions. It then converts the image to Black and White (1-bit).

The color original is much larger than a grayscale original and takes longer to transfer from the scanner to the computer. However, it allows Kofax Desktop to perform advanced cleanup functions that were previously unavailable.

VRS 4.5 contains similar functionality that must be manually enabled by checking the Analyze Color option under the Advanced Clarity feature.
john.killinger
Participant

Postby igreen » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:42 pm

Would that account the speed difference? Perhaps an enhacmement option for the next release of Kofax desktop could be a selectable option (for VRS style desktop scanning) for each profile. Obviously with large bundles of documents that are fundamentally very clean to start with, speed is more of a critical issue.

What do you think is causing the initial delay when scanning starts?
Ivor

john.killinger wrote:There is one other difference between VRS and Desktop that should be noted in this conversation:

When creating a black and white image, VRS requests a grayscale (8-bit) original from the scanner. VRS then uses the grayscale information to perform its image cleanup before converting the image to Black and White (1-bit).

Kofax Desktop uses a color (24-bit) original image from the scanner in order to perform its image cleanup functions. It then converts the image to Black and White (1-bit).

The color original is much larger than a grayscale original and takes longer to transfer from the scanner to the computer. However, it allows Kofax Desktop to perform advanced cleanup functions that were previously unavailable.

VRS 4.5 contains similar functionality that must be manually enabled by checking the Analyze Color option under the Advanced Clarity feature.
igreen
Participant

Return to Kofax Desktop General Discussion