Zonal OCR and Space 'Delimiter'

Zonal OCR and Space 'Delimiter'

Postby hlasky21 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:39 am

Recently, we've upgraded from Kofax Express 2.0 to Kofax Express 2.5.

I've been trying to test the new zonal OCR feature and build templates for a set of documents that contain an address block in a fixed location. The address block consists of three lines: customer name (including first name, middle initial, and last name); street address; and city, state, and ZIP.

From what I can gather from Help, the zone ends where it encounters a space (similar to a delimiter). However, in the instance described above, the middle initial and last name do not always start at a fixed point. Their location is directly affected by how long the first name field is. Hence, having two letters addressed to Thomas A. Thompson and Al A. Abi, the second letter with Mr. Abi does not populate correctly based on indexing off of the zones. In fact, in some instances, such as in the street address, I'd prefer to include spaces in the zone [e.g., 123 North Main Street vs. having four or more fields (123, North, Main, Street)].

Has anyone figured out a way to change the delimiter or to "force" a zone to include a space? I tried overlapping zones (drawing the middle initial and last name zones further left), but didn't have much success with it. Thanks!
hlasky21
Participant

Re: Zonal OCR and Space 'Delimiter'

Postby hlasky21 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:04 pm

When drawing the OCR zone, do not click on the first character unless you only want the first word (preceeding the spaced delimiter to populate). If you don't click after drawing the OCR zone, the zone will read whatever is in it, spaces and all.
hlasky21
Participant

Return to Kofax Express General Discussion