DocumentPreProcess - Reporting Errors to thin client user

DocumentPreProcess - Reporting Errors to thin client user

Postby Neil_McCarthy » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:08 am

KFS3.5

I am using the thin client for indexing documents scanned on MFDs. When a user assigns a document to a shortcut I use the DocumentPreProcess event to populate dropdown boxes on index fields from a database.

I am trying to report an error to the user when the db is not available by throwing exceptions and/or writing to an index field that the user can then read but all that happens when I throw an exception is that the user is presented with the indexing form as usual.......but the index fields I would usually turn into dropdowns are simply empty fields and the user could enter data manually if they wanted to.

How, having captured an error in DocumentPreProcessing can I report the error to the user?

Thanks!

Neil
Neil_McCarthy
Participant

Re: DocumentPreProcess - Reporting Errors to thin client user

Postby russell@centuryc.com » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:19 pm

Just a WAG - have you tried MSGBOX?
Russell
russell@centuryc.com
Participant

Postby Neil_McCarthy » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:45 am

No, this is thin client validation so it can't be used.

I think my problem is a little deeper than I thought. We have recently upgraded from KC9 SP2 to KC9 SP3 FP5 and having done so, I was prompted by VisualStudio to upgrade the project file. Since then I have just noticed an error in the KFS log that occurs when I drag a doc onto a shortcut:

2012-03-30 09:36:48,040 ERROR [http0.0.0.0-80-8] [formvalidation.DefaultFormBehaviour] An error occured while attempting to use assembly C:\PROGRA~3\Kofax\Capture\Local\Scripts\KFS\00000063\####\bin\####.dll to validate form type ####. Data validation will not be performed.

It seems that the upgrade has corrupted my project. I have tried recreating the validation script from scratch and pasting the code in but no luck.
Neil_McCarthy
Participant

Postby Neil_McCarthy » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:48 am

Yes, you can write a script for use by both KC Validation and KFSThin but KFSThin only supports a subset of objects and methods. You can wrap your scripts IF statements that allow you to handle validation differently in each application by teting where the script is being run.

I've got further now. If the db I attempt to connect to in the event is unavailable, rather than the Try/Catch exception handler throwing my exception and reporting it to the user, the system simply sees the error and arbitrarily elects to stop all processing of Validation scripts.

I've raised a call accordingly and I'll update when I have more.

NB: After a KC9 SP2 to KC9 SP3 FP5 upgrade, I had to totally rebuild my batch class that used a VB.NET script in order to make it work....thereby re-creating the VB.NET script from scratch.
Neil_McCarthy
Participant

Return to Kofax Front Office Server General Discussions