Kofax validation options

Kofax validation options

Postby lmsmith » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:47 am

Environment: Kofax Capture 8.0

We have a table with UnivID, SSN and FullName which will be used for validation. The operator will type in UnivID which will auto-fill index fields, SSN and FullName. From what I can tell, an ODBC DSN would need to be configured for the desired database on each workstation and all users would then have SELECT access using any query tool. I'm looking for alternatives to this since the table has SSN in it. We don't want users to be able to query the entire table, retrieve all rows and used elsewhere.

Some other options I've considered are below, but not sure if they are viable.
1) We're looking into calling a web service from a validation script eliminating the need to have a DSN on every workstation, but the programming is taking some time to figure out (I'm a little rusty).
(2) I'm assuming if I created a validation script and accessed an ODBC Data Source programmatically by pulling back data using SBL's SQLRequest function, I would be in the same boat? Would the ODBC DSN need to be configured on every workstation using the validation script method as well?

If you have any ideas, let me know.
Lisa
lmsmith
Participant

Re: Kofax validation options

Postby aadslingerland » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:19 am

lmsmith wrote:We don't want users to be able to query the entire table, retrieve all rows and used elsewhere.

Some other options I've considered are below, but not sure if they are viable.
1) We're looking into calling a web service from a validation script eliminating the need to have a DSN on every workstation, but the programming is taking some time to figure out (I'm a little rusty).

(2) I'm assuming if I created a validation script and accessed an ODBC Data Source programmatically by pulling back data using SBL's SQLRequest function, I would be in the same boat? Would the ODBC DSN need to be configured on every workstation using the validation script method as well?

Hello Lisa,

About querying the entire tabe. I understand that but how would one do that? At least something like SQL Server Managent Studio (Microsoft) or Toad (Oracle) should be installed on the scan/validation PC's.

ad 1)
That's a "safe" solution but requires both programming a web service (if not yet available) and a web service client (first programmed and than installed on everey workstation).

ad 2) sqlrequest needs select permission on the table. Same issue...

With regards, Aad Slingerland
With Regards, Aad Slingerland
aadslingerland
Participant

Postby lmsmith » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:35 am

Hello Aad-

About querying the entire tabe. I understand that but how would one do that? At least something like SQL Server Managent Studio (Microsoft) or Toad (Oracle) should be installed on the scan/validation PC's.

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate your feedback. If an ODBC DSN is on the validation station, a user could use MSExcel, MSQuery, or MSAccess to connect to the data source and query the table from there.

Lisa
lmsmith
Participant

Postby rpapa » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:21 pm

there is such a thing as DSN less connection. So all the code to connect to your server will only be in the validation script.
rpapa
Participant

Postby aadslingerland » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:24 pm

[quote="lmsmith"]If an ODBC DSN is on the validation station, a user could use MSExcel, MSQuery, or MSAccess to connect to the data source and query the table from there.{/quote]

Right... Just forgot about that kind off software :oops:
With Regards, Aad Slingerland
aadslingerland
Participant

Postby rpapa » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:33 pm

if you have a DSN connection, and use SQL authentication they will not be able to query or even see the table if they don't know what the username & password is.
rpapa
Participant

Return to Kofax Capture General Discussion