Can PDF's be split?

Can PDF's be split?

Postby MMIDMIS » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:57 am

If an end user faxes in or drops a Multi-page PDF into a folder for importing.....

and if that PDF contains bar code separators...

Is there any way that Kofax Capture can split that multi-page PDF into multiple documents based on the bar code?

Thanks
MMIDMIS
Participant

Re: Can PDF's be split?

Postby DavidCrewe » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:21 am

If you select 'treat imported PDF's as TIF' at batch class properties level, and select the appropriate separation method, then this will work fine (assuming nothing strange with the PDF's).
David Crewe

Check out our set of custom add-ons for Kofax Capture - www.DavidCrewe.com/products.html
DavidCrewe
Participant

Postby MMIDMIS » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:23 am

Thanks David

We got it to work when we manually import but it fails on KIC import.

Not sure why yet.
MMIDMIS
Participant

Postby russell@centuryc.com » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:41 am

It will not split documents if the pages are already in a document. It has to be imported as loose pages for normal document separation to occur.

My bet is that KIC is importing one file as one document. I haven't used KIC, so I'm not sure if there's a setting to import files as loose pages or to watch for document separators.
Russell
russell@centuryc.com
Participant

Postby MMIDMIS » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:37 am

So here is where we are at - some success and some not so successful.

My test document is a 10 page PDF plus a patch code between each page (so 20 pages).

If I manually create a batch and import this PDF, Recognitoin will split the PDF into 10 one page documents. Exactly as I want.

If we import through KIC, KIC is removing the patch codes (Confirmed by turning off recognition) and I wind up with 1 ten page document.

So why would KIC remove patch codes and how do I get it to stop?

Thanks
MMIDMIS
Participant

Postby CHumphreys » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:32 pm

Yes, the PDF and multipage Tiff files can be split.

Configure the destination import mapping with the Document Class set to (Loose Pages - No document will be used) and the Form Type set to (Undefined Form Type - No Form Type will be used) so KIC imports the PDF/Tiff file as loose pages.

Now the batch will be in the same state as loose pages like it is when using the Scan module to import the PDF/Tiff file and the documents will be separated based on how your Batch Class document separation setting is configured, (barcode, patch code sheets or FormID zones).
CHumphreys
Participant

Return to Kofax Capture General Discussion