License issue?

License issue?

Postby krsmitty » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:45 am

Yesterday all of our workstations and even the main server started receiving the following error when trying to access Quality, Vali, Veri, etc. Seems like I can get into Batch and Admin ok though.

[8087] AclicImp: Machine ID not found in the system. A network
card is required for software-based licensing.
[CLicInterfaceImp::UpgradeEquivalentFeatureLicense] <Server: "our server">

I have tried rebooting the server several times.
Stopped and started the various Kofax related services.

Kofax (through our support) had me try at the command line:
aclicsrvcfg.exe /d
aclicsrvcfg.exe

Which did not resolve the issue.

Thanks,
krsmitty
Participant

Re: License issue?

Postby russell@centuryc.com » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:07 pm

I've never seen that before. The software license service asks Windows for the network Mac ID. I don't think it can be specific as to what network card - Windows just picks one and gives it to Kofax. That is the "Machine ID" Kofax uses. Taken at face value, the error message suggests that Windows is not delivering a Mac ID to the software. You could try typing IPCONFIG /ALL at the CMD prompt on the server and see if anything is unusual. Make sure you have a "physical address".

Now, I think Mac IDs are a component of Ethernet, which by far is the most common way to network. But if for some reason your server doesn't use EIthernet, but a different network technology, that could be an issue. Has anything changed as far as network configuration?

I've also learned to take Kofax error messages with a grain of salt. It may be something else going wrong, but the software writer assumed the only error that could happen is the one described in the error message. So it could be something else like a corrupt license. I do know the message for no license as well as when the computer gets a MAC ID that doesn't match what it's expecting. But this is something different. Perhaps you've got some kind of odd network that's returning a Mac ID in a unexpected format. If that's the case, you've somehow got to convince windows to return the old ID and not this other one.
Russell
russell@centuryc.com
Participant

Postby krsmitty » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:54 am

Kofax support said it was a corrupt license issue on the main server. Kofax support moved the license over to one of our workstations and we were back in business. We downloaded the Capture server software to our main server and Kofax support used it to repair the license and then moved the license back to the server. We seem to be ok now.

Thanks,
krsmitty
Participant

Postby krsmitty » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:10 am

After further discussion with Kofax and my backup who actually did the work. I was on vacation...

"So from what Kofax has told me this issue was caused by the Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) being corrupt. Kofax uses the WMI to get information like the workstation ID and Mac address and since it was corrupt on the server Kofax could not get the information it needed."

We had to run from the command prompt winmgmt /salvagerepository to repair WMI.
krsmitty
Participant

Return to Kofax Capture General Discussion