Your contribution is needed: Feature Requests for AC!

Your contribution is needed: Feature Requests for AC!

Postby wolfgang.radl@kofax.com » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:51 am

Hi together,

as the old thread has reached 10 pages I have decided to tidy up a little bit.
Please let me know if something is missing. I'll try to keep it updated. I closed down the old topic, please continue posting in this thread. You can still find the old thread here:
viewtopic.php?t=489

Whenever you have the feeling that there's something missing in Ascent Capture or could be solved any better, please feel free to share your thoughts. The most wanted may make it into a future release, so keep up posting!

The roman number behind the FR indicates how many people have requested the same thing. Do not hestitate requesting a feature that is already listed here as will get more attention. Remarks, stated in green, indicate that a feature has already been implemented in a release of Ascent Capture - thanks to your contribution.

I will try to keep this thread updated.
*** last update: 14.03.2008 ****
Ascent Capture

General

Ascent Capture Lite (II)
A cheaper and light version of Ascent Capture, streamlined for barcode recognition only without OCR/ICR and OMR engines, only with the modules Admin, Scan, OPS, QC and release for certain installations.

'Restart' a batch (II)
Whenever new batch class settings have been published, it should be possible to 'restart' an existing batch (with old settings) without the need to rescan or reimport the pages. If integrated in Ascent Capture, this option should not be available to everybody (User Profiles).
Remark: The Batch Removal Utility offers this functionality. After you delete a batch, you can choose to re-import it using XML Auto Import. The Removat Utility can be found here: http://www.kofax.com/support/ascent/cap ... over_2.msi

Revisioning (IV)
Have a revisioning for published batches, see the differences for current batches vs. the published configuration (e.g. in the batch manager). Additionally, it could be possible to automatically backup these versions so that you could revert to them in case of an problem caused by some changes.

Temporary Image Path
Make the temporary image patch visible in the batch properties.

Undo Option
Undo feature in all interactive modules like undo deletion, rotation, page ordering, foldering, data entry.

QC Later
Redesign QC later and improve the usability, like QC later is not possible when rotating a page, you can't do it twice, QC Later for imported grey-scale images (MFP's ...)

Select All in Batch Contents Views
Have the option to select all documents and pages (folders) in the batch contents view, e.g. by pressing CTRL+A.

Improve Zooming
Have shortcuts for zooming, implement zooming like in AXP, for example, where it is possible to use the mouse wheel.

Enhanced Development Environments Support
Formally cover more than just VB6 and CPP 6 for development.
Remark: Since the latest versions we also cover .NET as a development environment for all customizations. AC 7.5 ships with .NET samples, as well.

Foldering
Regular Expressions/Scripts for auto-foldering rules should be implemented.

Multiple Instance Support for Interactive Modules
More than one user should be able to validate a batch - maybe it should be splitted up.
This option should, of course, be disabled by default. This feature should be linked with User Profiles, so that only people who are granted the permissions to split up batches are able to do so.

Multiple Languages
Be able to switch the language of the GUI without reinstalling.

Improved PDF integration
Ability to apply security, linearise & compress - there was mention of a Kofax module a while back, but it never got released.
Remark: The current Release of Kofax Capture, Version 8, supports PDF/A; maybe this does already help you.

Improved Logging
Full event based logging into SQL data tables as soon as the event happens, not just at the end of the batch's life.
Verbose logging (log every timing, activity, down to the slightest details, like how long did it take to fill a field). This would be really useful for identifying performance bottlenecks, and serve as source for some more serious business statistics.
Remark: The current Release of Kofax Capture, Version 8, supports SNMP monitoring - you can access all data in real-time.

Logging on document level
Has anyone already mentioned event based logging on a per document level (even including index data - I know that in some applications/countries that would be illegal, but as an option to enable with a warning should be sufficient)?
It happens more and more frequently that a customer wants this functionality and while we do it with OCX and WFA and CM (Batch Manager as a CM to keep the info of batches of documents deleted from BM) it should be a basic functionality. This kind of logging is especially painful in ACIS environments.

Improve Reports
Have user productivity and Batch-Forms-pages reports.
Additionally, we need to give users a report, showing how many documents of a given batch class opened up in validation for correction and how many did not. Now kofax does put information regarding the number of key strokes done for the entire batch in statsformtype table but it does not put any information regarding how many documents were opened in Validation or the keystrokes were one on which all documents of a batch.
I'd like to see an additional column in the 'StatsFormType' statistics table that reflects the total time it took to process a certain form type. Currently there's no efficient way to identify which form type causes a bottleneck in the system.
Remark: Ascent Capture 7.5 has introduced a report viewer, which allows you to generate reports like that easily.

User profiles & AD (II)
Have alternatives to Active Directory support, such as Novell Directory Service or an LDAP interface.

Rejectable folders
It is really a pain that there is no easy way to mark folders.

Customizeable Icons
Have more and customizeable icons in the batch content window, e.g. for rejected documents - have an exclamation or a question mark instead of a red cross.

Standard Xtrata
Implement a new version with new features and bug fixes of Xtrata. Some suggestions:
Xtrata should be installed and generally managed more like vanilla AC and standard AC modules. Now installation and some administrative operations are done more with the feeling that Xtrata is a custom job to AC, not a standard AC module. Indeed, Xtrata was a product of its own, but not we got it with the AC 'base package'.
In general, I think it could be integrated even more with AC than today.
User Profiles should be supported and Xtrata settings should be able to be exported and imported in CAB files as any other embedded AC settings, profiles etc.
In short: even more tighter integration, a road map and a tutorial please.

E-Mail Import Interface
I would like the ability for the email import service to be able to connect to an exchange server like MS Outlook connects to exchange. With some company policies, for security reasons, they might not enable POP3 or IMAP connections to email accounts.

Improve E-Mail Import
It would be very nice to be able to fill in check boxes in the e-mail import configuration (AC 7) so you could choose what parts of the e-mails would result in AC-items/pages.
Now we get the text body as page 1 and the attached file as page 2, although we have no interest in the text body in this case, only the attached file. In cases where the sender did not add any text in the text body, you still may get a text body automatically showing the name on all attached items. Pretty uninteresting...
Why not make this configurable in the e-mail integration configuration?
I guess we will need to see and handle the text body in some case sooner or later. I would guess we will have different kind of solutions in different batch classes, keeping them in separated flows; some flows where something is expected and used in all the text bodies, some flows where we do not care about the text body and don't want to see them.

Export and Import User Profiles
Have an export/import feature for user profiles
Remark: Kofax Capture 8.0 allows exporting and importing user profiles.

Setup User Profiles w/o enabling them
While setting up user profiles on an existing AC site it would be nice to be able to create and edit all (at the time) users and groups without actually enable User Profiles. Now you have to enable user profiles to be able to start working with the setting up process. Also, it would be convenient to be able to disable and enable individual users and group lists in a live production AC environment.
Some basic password policy options in User Profiles would also be a very nice thing.

Default Value for Batch Names
Assigning default values to the batch create dialog (like batch name, number of docs in batch, etc.)
Remark: The current Release of Kofax Capture supports custom batch naming out of the box.

Improved Hyperthreading- or Multi-Processor-Support
Multi-threaded modules to utilize HT and multi-processor systems without the need of launching the same module more than once (which is pretty inconvenient). One should also have the option to set how many CPUs the module is using.

Restrict Modules to machines
I'd like the ability to control what modules run on what *machine*. I can control it by user name, but if users move around, that won't work. I can do that by sabotaging the modules I don't want to run, but then I have to re-do that every time I apply a patch.

Separate Statistic DB from Batch Catalog DB
dbutil should have an option to move the statistics database independently of the Batch Catalog DB. This would enable end-user's to store statistics independently of AC on a completely different server.

Do you really want to suspend the batch?
I'm not sure if this has been added, but it would be nice to get rid of the warning that one is suspending the batch. This feature would be optional, configureable in the module options.

Client-/Server and ACIS - Deployment
I'd like to have a directory on the AscentSV share - let's call it "Deployment". Anything in this directory will be transferred to remote sites via ACI RSA upon synchronization if the file in the "Deployment" directory is newer than the one already present at the remote site. It would be good for deploying custom modules/panels/WFAs as well, beside service packs and patches.

Improved Documentation
Better manuals with usable sample code to carry out common tasks like formatting a social security number.
Remark: Kofax Capture ships with the following documents:
- Online Help (context related)
- Installation Guide
- Getting Started Guide (including tutorial)
- Quick Reference Guide
- What's new Presentations and Videos (KC 8 only)
In addition, you can use these forums as a very valueable source of information.

Restrict illegal characters
Make Ascent Admin, Scan Profiles and VRS Profiles agree on what characters are not allowed for batch class/profile names.

Open Batch Dialog (II)
I'd really like to see the number of documents and pages in a batch as a column next to each batch, rather than the current view where this data is displayed only for the selected batch.
Of course, I know it can be done with OCX but this should be standard, IMHO.
And while we're at it: those dialogs should be re-sizable (and size and position should be saved in the registry together with other layout data).

New default values
Add new default values for index fields:
- Current Date and Time in a single variable. While the two existing values (Current Date and Current Time) can bec oncatenated in Validation/Verification you need programming to do so during Release. And it would be such an easy and useful thing.
- Number of Pages value. I'd really like to know the number of pages without scripting all the time.

Scanning of Folders
Please, please, please, implement tools to aid in the scanning of folders. This is a situation where we know we are scanning folders. We index some things at the folder level and some at the document level.
What I want to see in folders: Give the options of sample pages, regions, barcode, OCR, ICR, OMR recognition. The ability to use the following document as it's "sample" page so I can do both folder and document level indexing on one scanned document.

Review Module
I'd also like to see a "review" module. It would be placed just before release. What it would do is open the batch as a Access file so you can see all the index values as a table. You can then skim though the data looking for oddballs that have been mis-entered.

TIFF compression
I'd like the ability to select a different TIFF compression for color and grayscale. Right now, it all comes out JPEG. The problem is, many viewers can't deal with that.

Allow the use of Windows Variables
E.g.: allow to specify the path indirectly using "%programfiles%\Ascent\Images" instead of C:\Program Files\Ascent\Images.
The %programfiles% environment variable will work for any language OS, when you transport the batchclass from eg. an English OS {C:\Program Files\...} to a German {C:\Programme\...} or Portuguese OS {C:\Arquivos de Programmas\...}
Currently AC does not support the environment variable in the path statement

Kofax Capture Planning and Sizing Tools
I think it would be useful for many to have a capacity planning and configuration tool to a) if possible generate suggested AC set up b) help calculate performance and throughput.

Let say we had a tool where a lot of parameters were put in:
Documents numbers, document characteristics, number of pages, page characteristics overall OCR/ICR/OMR etc characteristics, number of fields to be captured, calculated time - base line - for unattended modules if a base line is known already and hardware to be used, time lines to go for etc.
If some parameters are not known, the tool would suggest or calculate these with the basis of other know parameters and possibly a set of base line information from Kofax.
In one case you know how many instances of different AC modules you have and what hardware is used, in another case you know everything else but not what hardware you need or how you deploy AC.

A sub feature of this could be a connection to statistics found in an existing AC installation, in it’s most simple form this could mean you jack in the tool, add some known factors from the site, collect some statistics from an AC server ant then let the tool point out bottle necks and AND produce suggestions of changes of the given known factors. Like an expert system.

Installation

Customized Installation
When performing an installation, it should be possible to select which modules should be available and which should not.

The 'Local Admin Right' issue
Fix the 'Local Admin Right' issue for the installation.

Restart Installation after Reboot
My latest wish has to do with installation. Right now we have the choice of "manually logging in" or "automatic". I want another choice that allows manual resuming of the setup process when installing a client.

Trainable OCR engine
Trainable OCR/ICR would be good. Especially in cases where You have limited charset and need to tune recognition as high as possible.
Also something suitable for mass validation - not the database view, but character level validation combined with OCR/ICR training. It is handy in cases where you need fast validation of numbers for example.

Increase max. possible PDF DPI resolution
Please, Kofax, please do not change the dpi of high resolution images when converted to PDF. I had to scan some forensic documents in 600 dpi and the built-in PDF output is maxed out at 360DPI. I had to use a custom module for the job.

PDF generator to handle eDocs
OK, here's what I really really long for in AC: PDF generator to handle eDocuments. It would be a real showstoppper if I could feed PDF Generator a Word document or a text file and let it render somehow and create PDF just like it was sent to Adobe Acrobat. The result would be a full text searchable PDF document.

Administration

Multiple Users working at the same time in Admin (II)
For deploying new batch definitions, it would be great to have more than one users working on the same batch class at the same time or at least more than one instance of the Administration Utility opened.

Improved Scripting Environment (III)
Scripting in Ascent Capture should be more state-of-the-art than in current versions; preferable like VBA; grant access to document and index field object.
Remark: The current Release of Kofax Capture has introduced .NET scripting.

Copy & Paste
A Copy & Paste functionality in the Admin Utility for Index Fields, Document Classes, Form Types and so on would be great.
Remark: The current Release of Kofax Capture has introduced Copy & Paste inside the Admin Utility.

OCR Measurement Tool
In another OCR-product I used a few years ago, there was a build in 'measurement tool' (I can't remember the English word) which could be used to measure lines, gaps, widths etc on screen while designing the ocr-zone settings with sample pages.
A lot of the more delicate design work require a good and detailed work with measurements, and in my experience a lot of the work tend to be - more or less - trial and error in AC while having a sample page on screen.
Remark: This could probably look like the XDOC browser AXP comes with.

Export Batch Classes
It would be nice to have filtering functions in the Export dialogue. For example, to list and/or choose only the published batch classes. Or to list and/or choose only the un-published batch classes. Filtering like this would be helpful when you have a large amount of batch classes and need to export only a sub group of them. Today you need to have a separated list beside you, look at the list, pick the batch class and look again at the list, pick a batch class etc.
The dialogue for making the Export is modal so you can not scroll the batch class list in AC while choosing what classes to export.
Additionally, it would be nice to have some kind of command line support for making exports to cab files.
(see this http://forums.kofax.com:/viewtopic.php? ... mmand+line)

Integrate Xtrata Export and Import
Integrate the Xtrta Definitions to the standard export/import functionality without having the need of copying files in the file system.

Search Function (III)
Since David bumped the thread I add another: search function in the Admin module. It would be nice to be able to quickly locate a node in the batch/document classes tree. We have several installations where administrators have to go through a jungle of similarly named form types, doc classes and a feature like this would really speed things up.

Auto-Trim Profile Names
In AC 6.1, it would be nice to get a fix that introduced automatic trim of profile names. If ImageCleanup profiles or Recognition profiles have a trailing blank in their name, the import of a cab file may fail. This is a known bug, and there is a kb article on the problem
http://knowledgebase.kofax.com/faqsearc ... ?QAID=2352 (at least for the Recognition profile, even if I have seen the same problem on the ImageCleanup profiles in this case).
Still, it would be very nice to get rid of this problem once and for all as it is cumbersome to fix cab files with lots of batches having lots of different profiles with trailing blanks. Don't ask me why they have those blanks...

Import Batch Classes w/o installed Release Script
It would be nice to be able to configure the import so problems with non-existing release scripts could be choosen to be ignored. Now you have to set up the target environment for the releases, just to be able to load and examine a cab.

Cleanup Utility for Administration
It would be nice to have a cleanup utility for the Admin module that gets you rid of unused profiles, copies of accidently 6-times-imported batch classes (myocrprofile111111), orphaned form types and so on.

Increase no. of form types and allow longer object names (II)
I'd also like to be able to add more than 100 form types to batch class (1024 would be a good start), and give objects longer names than 32 characters (length of 64 or 128 would be sufficient).

Test Validation Script (without sub main)
One thing I would like is a module to test a validation script I am working on. Right now I make a change, save,compile, publish batch class, scan test document and test validation. Make another change and then repeat previous steps.....if I could simply test the script without publishing,scanning etc everytime I make a small change, I would save a fair amount of development time.
Remark: When using .NET scripting, you can directly launch validation out of the designer.

Manipulate multiple Zones at once
Move, Resize and delete multiple zones at once after they have been selected using CTRL+Click.

Toolbar with Zone Properties
It would be great to have a toolbar present in the Admin utility permanently showing you zone information after you have selected one (e.g. width, height, left position, top position; display these numbers in inches, cm, mm, pixels and mils)
These data should be, additionally, editable by entering a number in this toolbar.

Quicker testing of OMR Zones
When you're setting up an OMR zone, it would be nice to be able to test the box right from the "Index Zone Properties > OMR tab" window. If you adjust the threshold from there, you have to click OK, and right click the index and test it. If it's not good, you have to open the properties window again. Considering OMR seems to be fairly difficult to get just right, you'd think they'd want to lessen the number of mouse clicks it takes.

Exclusion Zones for OCR
I would like to suggest being able to add an Exclusion Zone to the OCR zone. This would be an area within the zone which would not be read when the recognition engine is examining the zone. Several times I had the use for this - a good example would be a box with "First Name" written inside the box instead of outside. This would enable me to read the entire box but not the words "First Name".

Overview of parent and child objects used in Admin for a Batch Class
Hm, I don't know if this make sense for everyone, but sometimes our AC administrators ask for a view inside the AC Administration module where they quickly and easy could list parent and children design objects to the objects they currently have selected. This listing would also indicate if the items in the list are used by the selected design object exclusively or if it's used by any other design object.
This type of listing would help both deletion of unused and/or unwanted design objects and general association of design objects.

Sample Page order (and re-ordering)
A sample page should have an attribute to adjust where it should be searched for in a document. For example you import 4 sample pages in the Admin module and say the first imported page will be the first page of a document, the next imported will be the 3rd, the next would be last-1 and the last imported will be just before the second imported page in a document. Also note the using of relativistic approach (last minus 'N'th page, before the second imported page, etc). Currently you can only assign sample pages to the first N pages of a document. Searching for zones on the last page in a variable page form type is not possible without serious customizations.

Export Overview
While exporting all - or just a large number of - batch classes it would be very nice to get a summery report on screen on top of the huge list of details.

Default extraction methods
System defined extraction methods using Regular Expressions for very common data formats, e.g. like Dates, Amounts (Regional Settings used), Name Fields, Address Blocks

Change the PDF Default Settings
Mine is almost the same - my gripe is the poor default settings. By default, anything you PDF is downgraded to 72dpi and 50 JPEG quality. Horrid stuff. If you forget to change that default on a new batch class and go into productions - oh %$#^!

Pre-defined Drop-Down Values
Would be nice to prepare a set of pre-defined values for drop-down menu items, preferably by fetching a database.

Batch Manager

Customizeable Columns (II)
More columns in the Batch Manager. I really wish to have a way to display and sort batches by Ascent built-in values (like site id, operator name, any of the batch fields in all batch classes <-- this last one would be very nice)

Date Column in the Batch Manager
The Date column in the Batch Manager shall also include the batch creation time not just the date, so you can sort batches more effectively. I do not know why this has not been implemented yet???
Remark: This has been introduced in Ascent Capture 7.5, Service Pack 1

Edit all Batch fields
It would be nice to be able to edit all batch fields, even if they are hidden. Maybe dbutil would be a good place to implement it.

Scan

Advanced Barcode Separation (III)
More advanced barcode separation during scan time, e.g. RegEx and scripting.

Better Scanner Profile Management (II)
It should be possible to manage Scanner Profiles, especially in a Client-/Server environment.
Remark: This has been implemented in Kofax Capture 8 - scanner profiles can now be distributed.

Import and Separate
I forget if I've asked for this already - the ability to separate on a page count (not image count). In other words, I want to feed in a mix of single-sided and double-sided pages and have them separate correctly.

Replace a complete Batch
It would be nice to be able to replace a complete batch in the scan module. As far as I know, one can only replace the selected document now. One can delete a complete batch in the scan module, but not replace it... When it comes to document, one can both delete and replace. Why not replace the batch content while rescanning a paper batch in the created AC batch?

PDF Generator

PDF Image Compression
I'd like to see more possibilities for image compression when creating image+text PDF. Currently images are output as JPG compressed, but using CCITT G4, G3, LZW, ZIP or uncompressed would also be nice.

Validation

Scripting for every type of field where user input happens
Make it possible to have your own scripts for every field where a user may enter some data, like Batch Fields for example.

Scripting at foldering

Combo Boxes on the Validation Form (IV)
Make it possible to have combo boxes on the validation form that will be populated with entries from a dictionary (flat file) or a database.

Lock Validation Layout and Setup (IV)
Lock the layout and the setup (like key bindings) of the validation module for certain users or groups. Additionally, enhance these profiles to hold more information, like keyboard shortcuts and GUI panel layout. This feature should be linked to User Profiles.
Remark: With Kofax Capture 8 you can lock panels - you can also disable specific menu items, if necessary.

Database Validation w/ Informix and DB2
Get the database validation fixed for lookups to Informix and IBM DB2 V8.2 (SPR00017774)

Improve Database Validation
I'd love to see the Database Validation feature updated to allow you to either specify a SQL Query or a Stored Procedure. Ascent Capture could call the designated routine, retrieve the data and apply the data to one or more fields on the document.

Optionally hide highlighting zones
It would be helpful in validation if there was a menu item or button (and hotkey!) to hide the zones Non-Confident/Confident box around a validation zone. I know you can change Border and Fill but when the boxes are used they can sometimes hide details on the image. It is simply not practical to go into Options and temporarily change the Zones settings there just to see the full picture. With a hotkey, the operator can choose to hide the box when needed.
Anyway, the suggestion is to enable a quick hotkey functionality where the operator easily can hide the boxes without changing their properties; the boxes just hide temporarily just as they are currently configured.

Improve Validation script possibilities
Hide or show a particular field, Jump to a particular field, Change to required or not required, Grayed out fields are just some ideas.
Remark: With .NET scripting, you can do that (jumping from field to field) - you can also use .NET forms for fields, for example.

Enhance Validation Form concept
I would love to have advanced field validation tools that could be set in a GUI. Kofax is seriously lagging here.

Clone Documents
The ability to "clone" a document. To create a second document using the same images for documents that need to be indexed under two different sets of indexes. This should be a feature that the Admin can enable in the Validation module.

Quality Control

Separate Review and Errors when using QC inside a standard workflow
As someone who uses QC as part of the standard workflow, I agree, It would be nice to be able to separate the QC-Review Images and QC-Errors. Typically these are handled by two different people. Perhaps a new queue "Problem Resolution" or "Exceptions" could replace the QC-Errors. Likewise create a new listing in Admin so who can access it can be controlled.

Update view when unrejecting
In QC, while unrejected documents, the program can be set to jump automatically to the next rejected document, but the scroll bar is not updated so if the next rejected document is out of sight, the operator most first scroll down to see the selected document.
It would make sense if the scroll bar and display is automatically re-positioned and updated so the next rejected document always is presented on screen.

Release

BLOB image storage
Optionally store images in Blob Space of SQL Server instead of file-system.

Improve Standard Relase (II)
Supported foldering in the standard text release script.
Remark: The current release supports Text PLUS, which supports foldering.

Disable Release Scripts
Currently if you wish to disable a script you'd need to delete the definition and add it later in case it needs to be re-enabled. It is pretty time consuming if you have a lot of fields. It would be nice to have a check box next to each release script in the Assigned Release Scripts window to enable/disable the script.

Upgrade existing batches to Latest Release Scripts
When the repository system changes, in my case IBM Content Manager, it is an adminstrative nightmare to force users to halt their processes and finish all of the batches in the system so we can upgrade the document classes with the latest release script.

Better Error Handling when Release didn't work
I'd like to see far better handling of batches where there is a release problem. Currently they all go to QC where each batch must be manually unrejected before they can go through release again. This can take far too long and mixes batches with workflow issues (those that can be resolved in AC) with those with release issues (those that can be resolved outside of AC).
Remark: With the current version you're able to unreject multiple batches at once using the batch manager.

Store Templates for Release Script Setup
It would be very helpful to be able to store and copy templates for release scripts.

Release on specific machines
In validation you can set the machine to only pull a certain type of document and segregate the users to only be able to process certain documents. In release mirroring this option would be great. Only having certain machines pull certain batch categories on specific machines.

Ascent Capture Internet Server

General

RSA as service
Have RSA running as a service instead of an application.
Remark: In Ascent Capture 7.5, RSA can run as service.

Initiate Synchronization from command line
Initiating synchronization on the remote site from command line. Some of our sites in an ACIS installation are sometimes not used for a week and licenses expire. When the user fires up the workstation after a week and launches scan then license error pops up. A command line utility to do the sync upon login would help.

Xtrata and Xtrta Pro at Remote Sites
Allow for Xtrata (and the Pro version) to run at remote sites.
Remark: AXP 3.x can run inside an ACIS environment.

Customizing Ascent Capture

General

Installation and Rollout
Change the way we handle the rollout of an OCX control, a workflow agent or a custom module, maybe integrate them into the publishing process.

Events (II)
It would be nice to have more events that can be cancelled, like FolderDeleting, DocumentDeleting, PageDeleting (instead of the ContextChanged event which is too general for many applications and cannot be cancelled).
A general approach to all event handling should be to have pre and post events like DocumentCreating/DocumentCreated, FolderCreating/FolderCreated, DocumentOpening/DocumentOpened, ContextChanging/ContextChanged, etc. and all pre events (creating, opening, changing, etc.) should be cancellable.

DocPost to return ValidationError
It would be nice if the DocPost process could return with ValidationError as well to trap document wide errors.

Limit Options available in a custom module
Have the possibility to remove menus/menu items/functionalyity from interactive modules, and tie these settings to user and group profiles.

The NumberOfPages bug
Fix the NumberOfPages bug.

Assign CSS to all docs if a specific barcode was recognized
Wouldn't it be nice to have Ascent automatically assign a CustomStorageString to all documents in the Scan module when a bar code was recognized with the bar codes' data inside the CSS?

Custom Help Files for the Batch Classes
I'd like to see a Batch Class level custom "help". A place that you can put instructions for the scanning operators, validators, etc. Just reminders of how things should be done for jobs they don't do every day. The ability to do pop-up reminders would be nice too for critical things.

Expose dblite Batch Object
And of course my standing request, expose the dblite Batch object and all the ACDataElements of this batch to cross reference data fields, set documents as indexed, etc. I don't want to to reinvent the Validation program, just extend it infinitely.

OCX Controls

AdminApplication Setup OCX
To be able to set every standard property in the Administration module via the AdminApplication Setup OCX interface (like creating page level bar codes, setting page PG level BC recognition and image cleanup profiles for form types, assigning scripts, etc).
I can't understand why Kofax did implement only a half solution? Some properties are changeable, but others in the same window are not?

Workflow Agents
"Splitting" batches from a WFA (.NextModule, .PossibleModules - properties)
Well .. instead of splitting the whole batch into single document batches, the ability for a WFA to route specific document(s) from a batch to a specific module. imho, just expose one extra property that lists the state of the module(s) it normaly should/could go through.

Custom Modules

More samples!
Have more samples and tutorials for custom modules, e.g. for an unattended module.
Last edited by wolfgang.radl@kofax.com on Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:10 am, edited 9 times in total.
Kind Regards,
Wolfgang Radl
KOFAX Sales Engineer
wolfgang.radl@kofax.com
Participant

Postby James-Elsey » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:31 am

I have to agree that copying/pasting batch/document classes will be greatly received!

Perhaps some advanced bar code features would be advantageous, such as barcode generation onto the document itself, but more importantly if Kofax could provide us with a bar code font that is 100% recognised as there are many free barcode fonts but they dont always work

Regards
James Elsey

Spent 2 years as a Kofax consultant, moved on as a Java Developer now..
Check out my Java blog : www.JamesElsey.co.uk
James-Elsey
Participant

Postby David » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:36 am

Good idea. Kudos to Wolfgang Radl for supporting the idea and further develop it.

A few notes and comments.

BLOB image storage
Store images in Blob Space of SQL Server instead of file-system.

->I sincerely hope this is intended to be an option, not a replacement...

->Isn't this history by now?

->That was pretty thin :? We do get a new version and bug fixes, don't we? ... I guess... I hope. :shock:

Do you really want to suspend the batch?
I'm not sure if this has been added, but it would be nice to get rid of the warning that one is suspending the batch.

Default Value for Batch Names
Assigning default values to the batch create dialog (like batch name, number of docs in batch, etc.)

Review Module
I'd also like to see a "review" module. It would be placed just before release. What it would do is open the batch as a Access file so you can see all the index values as a table. You can then skim though the data looking for oddballs that have been mis-entered.
Secondly, as AC already have Validation AND optional Verification modules, why yet another new module to assure data quality? Wouldn't it make more sense to further develop both - or any - of these to existing data quality assurance tools? With any volume of records in a batch you are prone to need mechanical aids such as scripting to cover obvious oddballs.

Mass index fields listening without seeing the image is not a new feature in OCR products, but I think a solution for AC should be flexible and also take into account the current modules, perhaps simply an option for the Verification module, enabling a different kind of Verification?

Default extraction methods
System defined extraction methods using Regular Expressions for very common data formats, e.g. like Dates, Amounts, Name Fields, Address Blocks

Standards are different even on how you write address information...What is very common in a global scope?

Also, see the sticky thread on how to implement Regular Expressions.

Enhance Validation Form concept
I would love to have advanced field validation tools that could be set in a GUI. Kofax is seriously lagging here.

Also, in cases when the arrow keys are used, it would be nice of the Batch Contents window was updated while scrolling continues ahead of the height of the windows. Now we have no way of knowing (while pressing) that we have pressed the arrow key all the way we want.
_____
->Well to be honest I can't remember just now :oops:
I believe it was a question of the scroll bar in the Batch Contents window being driven to the bottom while scrolling regardless if you had more scrolling to do. You scroll ahead so to speak, but as you press the arrow key all the time the windows is not updated so you do not know how far you have scrolled and how much is left.

/David
If you make it idiot-proof, someone will make a better idiot.
David
Participant

Postby rpapa » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:42 am

David wrote:Do you really want to suspend the batch?
I'm not sure if this has been added, but it would be nice to get rid of the warning that one is suspending the batch.

Yes, I had to create an OCX panel for this to get rid of the warning by using sendkeys!
rpapa
Participant

Postby David » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:58 pm

"Multiple Instance Support for Interactive Modules
More than one user should be able to validate a batch - maybe it should be splitted up. "

We wouldn't like this if it was enforced in a plain manner. The reason for this is that we think it would potentially be more complex to both manage (daily operational workload planning) and follow up who validated what batch (Auditing purposes).
The idea of freely allowing the splitting up an existing batch in several new batches is also not that tempting as this also would potentially increase complexity in auditing.
In some implementations we would also get problems as the handling of the paper originals is handled digitally in a mirrored way (paper batches is represented, sorted and handled as digital batches during the whole process; a given digital batch is then always followed by the paper batch).

I would say these things could fit as non-default options at best and then - if a spit-option and/or a multiple-validation-support-option was enabled for a given (batch?) class - it should be regulated by User Profile rules to ensure the possibility of controlled management.
In our case we would probably let operators in a Power User group or Group Manager group have the permission to split any given batch.
Someone must be accountable for seemingly odd tracks in statistics and auditing.

IF the ideas happened to be enforced to us as a possible action for our operators it would potentially force us to tweak our models for operations and auditing.
I could see situations where it could be useful if one of our operational production managers could step in and split a extra demanding (huge and/or complex) batch that an operator has serious problems with. Normally though, we would probably let the operator suspend this batch and transfer it to another operator.
Normally, testing methods and capacity planning plus fixed max sizes of batches would at least minimize the need of splitting batches to increase productivity.
/David
David
Participant

Postby hando.penu@ee.fujitsu.com » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:02 am

Trainable OCR/ICR would be good. Especially in cases where You have limited charset and need to tune recognition as high as possible.
Also something suitable for mass validation - not the database view, but character level validation combined with OCR/ICR training. It is handy in cases where you need fast validation of numbers for example.

Hando
hando.penu@ee.fujitsu.com

Postby David » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:36 am

Would it make sense to merge these two nice items, 'Validation User Profiles' and 'Lock Validation Layout and Setup' into one item?
I may have missed something, but it seems that the share a base idea.

I am not sure how settings would be bound inside AC to certain users or groups without using User Profiles.

Lock Validation Layout and Setup (III)
Lock the layout and the setup (like key bindings) of the validation module for certain users or groups. Optionally, bind these settings to User Profiles.

When it comes to 'Restart' a batch (II) ' I think the comment is valid, but at the same time it seems obvious that an integrated feature, like a menu item, would be more convenient and more accessable to more people... Should be some permission setting connected to this though so not anyone could do things like that.
:roll: A setting in the User Profiles perhaps?
Xtrata should be installed and generally managed more like vanilla AC and standard AC modules. Now installation and some administrative operations are done more with the feeling that Xtrata is a custom job to AC, not a standard AC module. Indeed, Xtrata was a product of its own, but not we got it with the AC 'base package'.
In general, I think it could be integrated even more with AC than today.
User Profiles should be supported and Xtrata settings should be able to be exported and imported in CAB files as any other embedded AC settings, profiles etc.

Xtrata would probably also make use of some solution/result matrix where people could more easily judge when they would benefit from Xtrata compared to what they use already in AC. A general roadmap including some sort of solution matrix, a Xtrata tutorial and beefed up Xtrata training would help people appreciate Xtrata and get up and going more easily.

In short: even more tighter integration, a road map and a tutorial please.
I think that the issue with importing and exporting CAB files has been mentioned, but perhaps that item could then be merged with - or moved to - a broader item on Xtrata (such as "even more tighter integration etc.").
/David
David
Participant

Postby wolfgang.radl@kofax.com » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:48 am

Updated, thanks!
Kind Regards,
Wolfgang Radl
KOFAX Sales Engineer
wolfgang.radl@kofax.com
Participant

Postby wim.de.maertelaere@capture-experts.com » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:02 am

Document Level Routing :

Well .. instead of splitting the whole batch into single document batches, the ability for a WFA to route specific document(s) from a batch to a specific module. imho, just expose one extra property that lists the state of the module(s) it normaly should/could go through.
wim.de.maertelaere@capture-experts.com
Participant

Postby russell@centuryc.com » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:54 pm

I'd like to see a Batch Class level custom "help". A place that you can put instructions for the scanning operators, validators, etc. Just reminders of how things should be done for jobs they don't do every day. The ability to do pop-up reminders would be nice too for critical things.
russell@centuryc.com
Participant

Postby David » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:51 am

russell@centuryc.com wrote:I'd like to see a Batch Class level custom "help". A place that you can put instructions for the scanning operators, validators, etc. Just reminders of how things should be done for jobs they don't do every day. The ability to do pop-up reminders would be nice too for critical things.

Great idea!
We have tried many different ways to keep instructions close-by to different operators, but this would be so much more convenient; you set up the batch class etc, fill in instructions, deploy the AC client to an operator and the relevant instructions could thus be deployed/made available at the same time.

In an AC client/server installation, you would get the distribution of new or updated instructions to clients 'for free'. Also, is using User Profiles and strict permissions, you could perhaps manage who's able to see what instructions and information...?

Question is, how integrated should all this be in AC? Perhaps some people wouldn't be too happy needing to publish the Batch Class to update some part of an instruction? A solution to this could perhaps be to have pointers in the Batch class, pointing at an AC storage that is not part of the publishing but still part of the Export/Import features? Well, I don’t know for sure what would be best when it comes to the details, but the general idea is great.

/David
David
Participant

Postby russell@centuryc.com » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:13 pm

I'd like the ability to select a different TIFF compression for color and grayscale. Right now, it all comes out JPEG. The problem is, many viewers can't deal with that.
russell@centuryc.com
Participant

Postby russell@centuryc.com » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:03 pm

I've got another: A smarter TIF release. I've found in the past that the way Ascent creates a multi-page TIFF is to place page 1 in the destination, then append page 2 to the results, then append page 3 to the results, etc. What happens is that page 1 (in the results file) keeps flowing back and forth across the network as Accent appends the successive pages. This results in a Multi-page TIFF release time that goes up geometrically with the number of pages in a document.

Seems like there should be a way to "stream" the images into the resulting file instead of appending the pages one by one.

One of the problems with the current method is it makes Ascent very sensitive to network problems. If only Ascent is creating corrupted files, then it must be a fault of Ascent and not the network, right? Been there, fought that.
russell@centuryc.com
Participant

Postby dkekesi » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:54 pm

Russel,
I recently researched for a project a multi-page tiff writer. I went great length to find an optimum solution and I also faced a similar issue: all tiff writers work by appending successive pages to the first one. Since the thread generating the TIFF is running on a different machine they all tend to make the image file go back and forth many times. It seems to be the proper way to handle multi page TIFFs to make them up to the standards.
What I could imagine for Kofax (this is what we did, BTW) to create the multi-page tiff locally (Ascent\Local folder is a great place on the machine running Release) and move the file to the required location once assembled.
Best Regards,

Daniel Kekesi
DocSoft Hungary
dkekesi
Participant

Postby dkekesi » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:34 pm

OK, here's what I really really long for in AC: PDF generator to handle eDocuments. It would be a real showstoppper if I could feed PDF Generator a Word document or a text file and let it render somehow and create PDF just like it was sent to Adobe Acrobat. The result would be a full text searchable PDF document.
Of course problems come like substitution of missing fonts, documents might look different than intended, but at least I'd have a consistent output for all data and text data could be retained (unlike converting everything to TIFF).
Kofax, could it be possible (I know it could, but anytime soon :))?
Best Regards,

Daniel Kekesi
DocSoft Hungary
dkekesi
Participant

Next

Return to Kofax Capture General Discussion