Sorry, I haven't been on this forum page for a few weeks. There's several ways to correct your image quality problems with the fi-5220C and VRS 4.x.
One angle to approach this by is:
1. Launch VCDemo
2. goto Source | Scanner
3. Select fi-5220C w/SVRS
4. When the firmware loads, you'll see the VRS Icon located in the Windows System Tray
5. Right Click on the Icon and select QC Mode = First Page
6. goto File | Multipage Settings and set to Append
7. goto File | Save Files To and specify a unique name and location (ie. Name: TEST_VRS Location: Desktop
8. place the problematic document as the first page in a batch and place in the ADF
9. goto Source | Process Batch
NOTE: if the scanner continues to feed the entire batch without stopping, then you probably have VRS 4.0 running with a pc running Windows .NET framework 2.0. If that's the case, install VRS 4.1 from : [url]Fujitsu fi-5220c w/VRS[/url] over the top of your OEM Version installation.
You shouldn't be prompted for any type of activation provided you started with the VRS included with the scanner.
10. when the scanner stops, you'll see the VRS interactive properties dialogue pop up with the image displayed on the left hand side.
11. on the right side, you'll see your VRS settings arranged in a vertical tab format (Clarity, Noise, Skew, etc...)
The Clarity tab should make the biggest impact on the image challenge...
typically Gamma is going to adjust the overall image the most. Rule of thumb: lower the gamma= darker the image / higher the gamma= lighter the image. Typically gamma should be around the range of 22 -36 depending on the document. The great thing about VRS is that it's the only technology available which allows you to scan, See the actual image ,adjusgt the settings , and see the settings change the image real time. NO NEED to do the old , trial and error method of the past.
Once you see the image appear properly, goto the top of your VRS interactive properties Viewer and save that profile. Now you'll have a VRS profile for those types of documents.
IF you're running a large range of documents, the PROFESSIONAL upgrade would be a great thing to try out. It offers several benefits over the Basic. You'll benefit most from the Advanced Thresholder which is greyed out on the clarity tab in VRS 4.1. (you'll need to do the free upgrade to v4.1 to take advantage of this) . The advanced thresholder significantly improves images on documents which have a very wide range of visual characteristics...
Feel free to call me anytime for a live demo, either on my pc or on your pc with the actual documents...
My direct # is 408-746-7096 direct or 408-203-6057 cell.
Fujitsu Computer Products of America, Inc.
Product Manager- Workgroup Scanners