Fujitsu fi-5220c w/VRS

Fujitsu fi-5220c w/VRS

Postby tyler » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:20 am

One of our clients is using a Fujitsu fi-5220c w/VRS. Everything is setup fine using Kofax. The documents are being scanned in fine except for documents that have yellow highlighter on them in some areas the highlighted areas will show up as completly blacked out. I have tried switching from black and white to grayscale. i have also changed the contrast and brightness, but didn't have any success. I am wondering if anyone out there could help me find a configuration that works.
tyler
Participant

Postby russell@centuryc.com » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:48 pm

That's strange. Normally when VRS finds something "blacker then black" it will outline it so that while the yellow highlighter might appear black, the information underneath will still stand out.
Only suggestion I have is to make sure you've selected a scanner source that has VRS and you're not actually bypassing it. A good test is to drill down into the scanner setting in the application and see if you come with with VRS or the scanner driver. If you don't hit VRS settings, then you're bypassing it.
russell@centuryc.com
Participant

Postby tyler » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:20 pm

we are definately using VRS. it is odd that it is happening. keep shooting ideas my way. thanks
tyler
Participant

Postby russell@centuryc.com » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:25 pm

What does it look like in the gray scale? I wonder if it's possible that color drop-out has bee turned on which might make the yellow look very dark and the scanner doesn't see the black ink under the yellow so VRS can't pull it out? I'm not sure, but I think VRS works on a grayscale image, not color.
russell@centuryc.com
Participant

Re: Fujitsu fi-5220c w/VRS

Postby Danny » Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:55 pm

Hi Tyler,

Sorry, I haven't been on this forum page for a few weeks. There's several ways to correct your image quality problems with the fi-5220C and VRS 4.x.

One angle to approach this by is:

1. Launch VCDemo
2. goto Source | Scanner
3. Select fi-5220C w/SVRS
4. When the firmware loads, you'll see the VRS Icon located in the Windows System Tray
5. Right Click on the Icon and select QC Mode = First Page
6. goto File | Multipage Settings and set to Append
7. goto File | Save Files To and specify a unique name and location (ie. Name: TEST_VRS Location: Desktop
8. place the problematic document as the first page in a batch and place in the ADF
9. goto Source | Process Batch

NOTE: if the scanner continues to feed the entire batch without stopping, then you probably have VRS 4.0 running with a pc running Windows .NET framework 2.0. If that's the case, install VRS 4.1 from : [url]Fujitsu fi-5220c w/VRS[/url] over the top of your OEM Version installation.

You shouldn't be prompted for any type of activation provided you started with the VRS included with the scanner.

10. when the scanner stops, you'll see the VRS interactive properties dialogue pop up with the image displayed on the left hand side.

11. on the right side, you'll see your VRS settings arranged in a vertical tab format (Clarity, Noise, Skew, etc...)

The Clarity tab should make the biggest impact on the image challenge...

typically Gamma is going to adjust the overall image the most. Rule of thumb: lower the gamma= darker the image / higher the gamma= lighter the image. Typically gamma should be around the range of 22 -36 depending on the document. The great thing about VRS is that it's the only technology available which allows you to scan, See the actual image ,adjusgt the settings , and see the settings change the image real time. NO NEED to do the old , trial and error method of the past.

Once you see the image appear properly, goto the top of your VRS interactive properties Viewer and save that profile. Now you'll have a VRS profile for those types of documents.

IF you're running a large range of documents, the PROFESSIONAL upgrade would be a great thing to try out. It offers several benefits over the Basic. You'll benefit most from the Advanced Thresholder which is greyed out on the clarity tab in VRS 4.1. (you'll need to do the free upgrade to v4.1 to take advantage of this) . The advanced thresholder significantly improves images on documents which have a very wide range of visual characteristics...

Feel free to call me anytime for a live demo, either on my pc or on your pc with the actual documents...

My direct # is 408-746-7096 direct or 408-203-6057 cell.

Thank you,

Danny Ha
Fujitsu Computer Products of America, Inc.
Product Manager- Workgroup Scanners
dha@us.fujitsu.com[/url]
Danny
Participant

URL for VRS 4.1 link

Postby Danny » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:02 pm

The url didn't come out right in my earlier post.

4.1 is needed for:

.NET Framework 2.0
Advanced Thresholder

<NOTE: THERE IS NO ADDITIONAL COST FOR THE UPGRADE IF YOU CURRENTLY HAVE A LICENSED VRS INSTALLED. YOUR LICENSE WILL CARRY OVER FROM 4.0 TO 4.1 .

IF YOU INSTALLED AN OEM VERSION OF VRS (CD will include Capio 1..5 demo) THEN YOU HAVE A BASIC VERSION OF VRS 4.0

Here's the link:

ftp://ftp.kofax.com/pub/support/ipbu/vrs/4.1

Thank you,

Danny
Danny
Participant

Postby tyler » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:57 am

We tried adjusting the gamma as you said. When we do that to make it lighter it makes the highlight lighter, but it also makes the print under the highlight lighter as well. Do you have any other suggestions?
tyler
Participant

Re: Fujitsu fi-5220c w/VRS

Postby Danny » Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:07 pm

I'd verify that the Fujitsu isis drivers havn't accidently changed. RDV is a quick 'n easy "restore default values".

If you're running VRS 4.0 which originally came with the scanner, insert the VRS installation disc into the CD rom. (if you don't have it, you can download it from the kofax ftp site... just make sure to match the version of VRS with what you're running)

**NO NEED TO RUN THE COMPLETE SETUP AGAIN. ONLY THE RDV SETUP NEEDS TO BE LAUNCHED**

a. if autolaunch starts the setup after inserting the CD, cancel the setup

b. navigate to the root of the cd and open the RDV directory

c. run setup.exe

setup is quick and doesn't require restart. make sure you have your scanning application closed during this process.

goto start | kofax vrs | rdv.exe or restore default values

select the proper scanner model from the dropdown list, and apply

then ok and close

test with VCdemo using default settings...

-------------------------------------

If you're running 4.1 , no need to install the rdv:

goto control panel

run the KSM

verify the check box next to VRS Certified Scanners is checked

highlight your scaner model and click the restore default values button to the left.

test with vcdemo using default settings..

hope this helps~

Danny
Danny
Participant

Return to VRS General Discussion