Problems With VRS Demo and USB Scanner

Problems With VRS Demo and USB Scanner

Postby M_Clapham » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:59 am

Hi All.

I've recently downloaded the VRS demo to test with a Canon 9080C scanner connected via USB.

Unfortunately even with the latest drivers for the scanner I cannot sleect a scanner when opening the VRS ScanDemo program.

Has anyone used the demo program succesfully with a USB scanner and if so can you make any recommendations.

Thanks

Martin
M_Clapham
Participant

Postby rpapa » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:16 am

is it 4.0 or 4.1?

did it ask you for what type of scanner you had when you installed?

if not, there's a scanner configuration utility for 4.1.
rpapa
Participant

Postby M_Clapham » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:17 am

Hi Raymond

It's the VRS 4.1 Demo. It doesn't ask about scanner type when you install the program.

Upon starting the demo it brings up the "select scan source" dialog box but the dropdown list of sources is greyed out.

Any idea where I can download the scanner configuration utility? I can't see a link for it on the Kofax site.

Thanks for your help.
M_Clapham
Participant

Postby rpapa » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:14 am

there should be a scanner config utility in the start programs, kofax, or under the control panel.
rpapa
Participant

Postby wolfgang.radl@kofax.com » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:17 am

Hello Martin,

each VRS version should ask you for the scanner you want to install during the installation - at least every not OEM-version.
Well, doesn't matter, you can use a component installer that usually ships with the CD (subfolder Scanner Drivers) or you can set up the scanner manually.

Here is the complete content of the scanner drivers sub directory:
ftp://ftp.kofax.com/pub/support/ipbu/vr ... r_drivers/

Here is a link to Canon:
http://software.canon-europe.com/
Select the 9080 from the dropdown next to Document Imaging Systems.
After having the ISIS & TWAIN driver installed, goto the control panel -> KSM -> Select the 9080 and create the default sources for it.

Ready to go.
Kind Regards,
Wolfgang Radl
KOFAX Sales Engineer
wolfgang.radl@kofax.com
Participant

Postby M_Clapham » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:49 am

Hi Wolfgang/Raymond

I thought we may have had a solution with the scanner drivers from the Kofax website.

Unfortunately upon installation it comes up with an error "Valid VRS or Capio installation not found"

I'm guessing it doesn't see the VRS Demo version as valid.

I have to wonder how many problems I'm going to have with the full system if the "Demo" is so difficult to get working.

CAn anyone confirm that the demo should let you select a scanner source?
M_Clapham
Participant

Postby rpapa » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:18 am

yes, you should be able to select a scan source. But before you can select a source it should have been created for you.

If you did not get a screen asking you for a scanner, there's something wrong with that install. It should have asked you for a scanner or configure it later. In addition, if you go to your control panel, you should see a KSM icon. do you even have that?

is this what you downloaded?

ftp://ftp.kofax.com/pub/support/ipbu/vrs/4.1/vrs4.1_full_download.zip
rpapa
Participant

Postby M_Clapham » Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:09 am

Hi Raymond.

I have now tried to download from the link given. This is the full version requiring a license though.

I'm trying to run the demo version of VRS (http://www.kofax.com/products/virtualre ... mo2026.exe) to test with our scanners before making a decision on purchasing the full version.

Installing the full version does finally mean that the scanner is recognised but then I don't have a license to use for scanning so i'm in a catch 22 situation.

I think i've run out of options and patience now. Sorry but if I provided a software demo that didn't work i'd find myself out of a job, so can't understand why Kofax have done so.

Thanks for your time and help Raymond and Wolfgang
M_Clapham
Participant

Postby rpapa » Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:14 am

you should be able to use the vcdemo withouth a license. it will just stamp your images with a demo stamp.
rpapa
Participant

Postby M_Clapham » Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:38 am

Hi raymond

the VCDemo opens but then after initialzing image controls and warning the images will be stamped i get the message "Error 20451 Your Product License does not include Image Processing. Please select another source"
M_Clapham
Participant

Postby rpapa » Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:47 am

when you select the source, make sure you select one WITHOUT the AIPE.

the should get rid of the image processing error. VRS should still function though.
rpapa
Participant

Postby M_Clapham » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:38 am

Hi Raymond

That worked. :D

I thought that as the scanner was plugged in via USB it would need the aipe, how wrong I was.

I think you need to badger Kofax about some commision as you may have just saved a sale.

Thanks very much.
M_Clapham
Participant

Postby rpapa » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:47 am

if you look at the imaging menu, all those are grayed out because you don't have the AIPE license. some of those features, like the deskew and despeckle, overlap with VRS
rpapa
Participant

Postby brian.mcdougle@kofax.com » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:10 pm

Martin,

Now that you got it working I guess you may have realized that the "ScanDemo2006" you downloaded and installed was NOT VRS but a sample program that is used WITH VRS. You have to install VRS in order for this program to work.

A VRS "Demo" mode is simply the standard VRS installed without a license. This puts VRS into a "demo" mode where images are stamped with the Kofax logo.

Just let us know if you have any questions.
Brian McDougle
Software Project Lead
Kofax Image Products
brian.mcdougle@kofax.com
Participant

Re: Problems With VRS Demo and USB Scanner

Postby francois » Thu May 26, 2011 4:38 am

i'm currently experiencing the exact same symptoms as described above.

i'm using the VRS 4.5 download / evaluation version and have applied SP1.
and i'm using the "VRS Test Application" vcdem32p.exe (formerly known as VCDemo).

as source i select my local scanner with option with SVRS with AIPE.
it will then throw the following error: Error 20451 Your Product License does not include Image Processing. Please select another source

so what's wrong here?
i'd like to evaluate the functionality in "demo" mode. but it doesn't work ...

any ideas?

thanks in advance, francois
francois
Participant

Next

Return to VRS General Discussion