MSI Installer
Auto Contrast
Edge Fill
Merge Sides
Intelligent Halftone
Intelligent Profile
Device Health
Multicore Support

Available with VRS Elite License Server: (if not using within a Kofax Capture Environment)
Shared profiles
Shared licensing
Kofax Monitor 6.0
Participant

Re: vrs elite?

Postby » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:47 am

Hando, Rpapa, thanks for the info.
Sounds good.
If you make it idiot-proof, someone will make a better idiot.
Participant

Postby » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:21 am

Hi!

And patch for KC + separator sheet bug is expected to be released soon :)
It means - we can start using it with KC setups where separator sheet is used.
Hando
Participant

Postby » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:13 am

VRS Elite + Service Pack 1 is available for download. I would recommend to upgrade to this version. The Release Notes (also available via the below link) discuss changes and issues resolved in this Service Pack.

http://www.kofax.com/support/IP/VRS/Eli ... nloads.asp

Please note that Service Pack 1 is not available as a separate download. You must download and install the VRS Elite + Service Pack 1 bundle.
Participant

Postby » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:26 am

"Multicore Support". Anyone thinks this make a noticable improvement to VRS performance in any given configuration or user case?

What does Merge Sides do?
Participant

Postby » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:14 am

Multicore support is indeed noticeable when scanning in color with 120+ppm scanners.
Although I must say that I do not have experience with VRS Elite, but Kofax Express also uses the same multi-core VRS. And that one is good.
Best Regards,

Daniel Kekesi
DocSoft Hungary
Participant

Postby » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:58 am

Thanks for the input Daniel. That made sense.

By the way, I think the name scheme on this product/version is a bit silly. Elite now? Hm. And considering the huge accumulated AMP/SUA for some sites, people should get some of these features 'for free' in any VRS update... :evil: Eval licenses is just that, eval licenses.
VRS versioning, nameing and licensing has always been more messy than it need to be (am looking back some years now).
Participant

Postby » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:41 am

I can totally agree. It seems that marketing department is running the company. Kofax Suite is a pro tool and naming should reflect that. Elite looks good(?) on the box of the newest graphics card for gamers, but not corporate users.
Best Regards,

Daniel Kekesi
DocSoft Hungary
Participant

Postby » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:45 am

We automatically qualified for the VRS Elite (via our serial numbers). Unfortunately, when you do that, you need new product codes ... You might have to contact Kofax for the new product codes as they do not automatically send them out to Licensees.
Participant

Postby » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:49 am

Shannara wrote:We automatically qualified for the VRS Elite (via our serial numbers). Unfortunately, when you do that, you need new product codes ... You might have to contact Kofax for the new product codes as they do not automatically send them out to Licensees.

Shannara, Anyone,
May I ask if you were informed automatically about this to start with? And was this qualification part of a normal SUA or a result of an additional cost?

I do wonder how much 'automation' Kofax have put into this process. I would guess it could be possible to be automatically qualified without being aware of it... :?

Am afraid I missed the point why Kofax should not automatically "send out" product codes to those who happen to be qualified for them and probably have paid for being so.
I admit I am not as updated on these things now as I used to be, but I have been showed and informed that nowadays, VRS licenses could be managed centrally on a site (KC 9 site) and be activated by an normal license update made on site with the license utility. This make great sense inmo, but have no idea if it is a reality for the VRS Elite case mentioned.
IF one need to actually upgrade the software also I can see a challenge, but even so, that is probably not an impossible challenge for Kofax or anyone.
Participant

Postby » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:03 am

If the v5 is on your personal download portal, you are qualified for it. Unfortunately, since my last post Kofax is blissfully unaware of what VRS is ... even though they supposedly sell it.
Participant

Postby » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:21 am

"Unfortunately, since my last post Kofax is blissfully unaware of what VRS is ... even though they supposedly sell it.

Haha! "That's my Kofax!" :D

Hm. Personal download portal. Havent heard a word about that before when it comes to Kofax. Oh well. I will automaticly contact someone and ask for this and will automaticly get this up and going for us.
Participant

Re: vrs elite? Will multi-core work for quad core CPU?

Postby » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:40 pm

We just did an evaluation of VRS Elite with SP1 and Kofax Capture 9 sp1 with Fujitsu 5900C and Kodak i5600 Scanner.

QUESTION: Has anyone been able to get multi-core support to fully utilize a quad core CPU? We have a quad core XEON machine and it will only use 2 of the CPUs.

A few notes:

1) We love the 'halftone' feature.

We receive batches preped for scanning from various locations and they often have photos in them. Without the VRS Elite halftone feature they have to be rescanned because they look terrible bi-tonal. The haltone feature makes them look almost as good as gray scale, but they are still bitonal. The image size for images with photos is larger than regular bitonal, but smaller than grey scale. The good part is, we used to have to pick these out of the batches and rescan them.

The image size is only larger for pages that Kofax identies as needing the halftone adjustment. It uses half tone on some few pages where we don't need it, but overall it works great.

2) Multi-core support works for dual core, but doesn't seem to take advantage of quad core CPUs.

VRS runs significanly faster with multi-core support for our dual core CPUs. However, we have to set the multi-core feature to 'On' instead of 'Auto' to make it work.

Also, in our experience it will take advantage of dual core, but not quad core CPUs. Has anyone been able to get to to take advantage of a quad core CPU?

3) The user interface is different. It uses the 'office like' ribbon feature. I like it.

Thanks,
Alan
Participant

Previous

Return to VRS General Discussion