Kofax Upgrade w/VRS

Kofax Upgrade w/VRS

Postby jhampson » Fri May 06, 2011 12:59 pm

Hopefully someone can answer this for me.

I'm performing a rather large system upgrade, and instead of updating the AC7.5 installation, we've decided to uninstall and reinstall with the KC9 software. This choice was made based on uniformity across the globe. Some of the servers will be replaced, others reused. We wished to make as many of the steps the same as possible with the servers and the workstations.

The question I have is simple. We have lost all the VRS license information from the scanners which will be reused. Is there a way to get the information off of the old machines before we deactivate VRS 3.5 and install VRS 4.5?

I believe the information that we will need would be:
Part Number
Serial Number
Product Code

I've tried running the Activate screen with out being able to see this information?

Also this question is based on the belief that Kofax installs but does not activate VRS for the scanner, is that correct?
VRS has to be licensed to be used with Kofax Capture 9.0, correct?

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated!!!
jhampson
Participant

Re: Kofax Upgrade w/VRS

Postby russell@centuryc.com » Mon May 09, 2011 1:56 pm

Last questions first:

jhampson wrote:Also this question is based on the belief that Kofax installs but does not activate VRS for the scanner, is that correct?
VRS has to be licensed to be used with Kofax Capture 9.0, correct?

Yes and Yes. If you have a old VRS 1.x scanner, there's a special install procedure.

jhampson wrote:Is there a way to get the information off of the old machines before we deactivate VRS 3.5 and install VRS 4.5?

[...]I've tried running the Activate screen with out being able to see this information?

Usually I just run Activate and I see it. It will tell you the information when you deactivate it.

Note that there are some special licensing situations - such as OEM version of VRS. Those do not display properly.

The good news is that it's easy. I have a mostly Bell+Howell shop. I just set up the source and once it sees the scanner, the licencing is automatic. Spectrum, and Truper 3200 will auto-activate with the Pro. Truper 3600 will auto-activate with Basic. You'll need the upgrade info to bring it back to Pro (if that's what it had).

Absolute worse case: Install the OEM VRS, lay updates as necessary to get within Upgrade range of 4.5 (I think that's 4.1?) and then install capture.

Either way, you'll still have to install the drivers and such from the OEM disk no matter what route you take.
Russell
russell@centuryc.com
Participant

Postby David » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:22 am

russell@centuryc.com wrote:Either way, you'll still have to install the drivers and such from the OEM disk no matter what route you take.

Drivers? You are thinking about scanner drivers, right?

In retro respect, what would be the best way of knowing if an OEM setup has been used or not? It was some years since I looked into this kind of matters hands on :(

I don't recall the VRS license utility showing if OEM install was made or not.

I would guess a 'non OEM install' could be possible to do even if the idea would be that OEM install is preferred when possible. At some point I got the impression from Kofax that the OEM VRS was exactly the same software and only the license - enabling given functionality - made things different. I was never completeley sure on this as the OEM CDs (as I remembers it now) could have a rather complex mix of stuff on them.
If you make it idiot-proof, someone will make a better idiot.
David
Participant

Postby russell@centuryc.com » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:52 am

David wrote:
russell@centuryc.com wrote:Either way, you'll still have to install the drivers and such from the OEM disk no matter what route you take.

Drivers? You are thinking about scanner drivers, right?

Yes. In the case of BBH/Kodak Trupers, you install the User Utility and the ISIS Drivers.

David wrote:In retro respect, what would be the best way of knowing if an OEM setup has been used or not? It was some years since I looked into this kind of matters hands on :(

Run the VRS Activate Utility. I think it will tell you.
Russell
russell@centuryc.com
Participant

Return to VRS General Discussion