VRS Production License

VRS Production License

Postby prat61 » Fri May 13, 2011 10:11 am

We have a VRS Production license assigned to our dongle. When we launch the scan module it is saying the demo logo will be placed on every sheet scanned. We have a Canon 9080c scanner on our client machine. If I am not mistaken I thought the dongle would see the production scanner and activate all the vrs features for that scanner. Please help. We paid good money for the production vrs license and it is no good to us if it doesnt work.

Has anyone ever seen this before?
prat61
Participant

Re: VRS Production License

Postby russell@centuryc.com » Fri May 13, 2011 11:36 am

Clearly the VRS on your scanning machine isn't seeing the license.

If this has been placed on the Kofax Capture dongle, then it becomes a concurrent license and anyone scanning may use it - and while it's in use, your other scanners can't use it.

If you're not talking about a Kofax Capture dongle, then what version are we talking about? The installed version of VRS has to match the version of the dongle. VRS is currently up to 4.5 and Kofax hasn't routinely shipped VRS dongles since, uh 3 (I think).
Russell
russell@centuryc.com
Participant

Postby prat61 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:16 am

We have 2 Fujitsu 5650c scanners that have their own software license and the other is the Canon 9080c. I have tried to install the software version of VRS and when I go to enter the vrs info it tells me that I need a production license for the canon 9080c. So, we went out and purchased a production license and it is attached to our dongle. In theory when the scan station launches kofax for scanning it should see just the canon and not the fujitsu's. What I am doing to remedy the problem is rebooting the machine to release the license. I should not have to do that. Any ideas
prat61
Participant

Postby Hando Penu » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:51 pm

Hi!

It looks, like the Fujitsu OEM license is interfering with Your new license.
Check from VRS preview screen, what version of VRS is activated on this PC. And If you see Fujitsu OEM license, then it is clear, why this happens.

Hando
Hando Penu
Participant

Postby russell@centuryc.com » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:55 am

Anyone know what order that VRS searches for licenses? It sound like it may be checking the central site before checking the local machine.

Or perhaps it's because one is "Pro" and one is "Basic" and that's causing it to grab the one at the central site.

Unfortunately, I have zero experience in having VRS on the central dongle.
Russell
russell@centuryc.com
Participant

Postby David » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:14 am

russell@centuryc.com wrote:Anyone know what order that VRS searches for licenses? It sound like it may be checking the central site before checking the local machine.

Or perhaps it's because one is "Pro" and one is "Basic" and that's causing it to grab the one at the central site.

Very good questions! I have a vague feeling one may have too start all over to ensure the 'best' license kicks in. These issues takes far too much time to sort out.
<bump>
If you make it idiot-proof, someone will make a better idiot.
David
Participant

Postby Hando Penu » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:11 am

Hi!

I suspect, that with VRS the WS license wins. In case of KC distributed VRS license minimal required license wins.

Hando
Hando Penu
Participant

Postby russell@centuryc.com » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:31 am

Hando Penu wrote:I suspect, that with VRS the WS license wins.

One would hope so. But given the reported problem, I'm not sure as I'd count on that as fact.

It does sound like something that could slip though the testing process to become a bug.
Russell
russell@centuryc.com
Participant

Postby dkekesi » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:59 am

The way it SHOULD work is the following:
1. search for an appropriate license in the Adrenaline board
2. search for an appropriate license on the workstation
3. search for an appropriate license in the license utility

Note the word "appropriate". If a license is found but its capabilities are less than required the search is going on. I have spent serious time with this issue sitting for days next to a BBH Color Spectrum 8125DCi...
Best Regards,

Daniel Kekesi
DocSoft Hungary
dkekesi
Participant

Postby David » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:25 am

Did any of you guys get this problem using the VRS Pro together with KC 9? If one got an old OEM VRS Pro with an old VRS version number, will it not cause trouble if KC9 override with VRS 4.5? Perhaps the upgrade itself of the VRS version here cause trouble? I don't work on this personally,just standing behind some other guys, trying not to explode.
Can't provide details, but Adrenaline is used in an old OEM bundle.

Daniel, when you wrote "3. search for an appropriate license in the license utility", you mean the KC utility (basicly the central KC license?), not the VRS utility, right? I am not sure what's going on anyway, as I am not used to the VRS license popping up in the KC licence utility at all. Was using 7.5 earlier on this site and have been told the license architecture was reworked and much 'simplified' with VRS on KC9. 'simplified' when/if one get everything migrated that is... :cry:
David
Participant

Postby dkekesi » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:22 pm

Yes, David, by "search for an appropriate license in the license utility" I mean the KC license utility.
Licensing reworked.... hmm. I did not notice too many improvements in this area, and yes, old adrenaline bundles will always remain a pain.
Best Regards,

Daniel Kekesi
DocSoft Hungary
dkekesi
Participant

Postby David » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:59 am

dkekesi wrote: old adrenaline bundles will always remain a pain.
yeah, perhaps so, but I really hate to have such problems keeping them. They have provided good functionality. And we have paid for them and they should still be valid and accessible with a normal effort :x
I don't know if I missed some fine print here on upgrades, but nobody have yet said the old VRS Production licenses should be a special problem now.
The working thesis in our case apparently - at some stage - was to downgrade VRS version on this station by
re-install the OEM VRS and NOT upgrade it version wise to 4.5 while re-installing the KC9 client
(I presume this means using that NOVRS option on the KC client install).

I am not happy with this thesis as I really think the same VRS version should be on all stations on the site even if this or that station happens to have VRS Production capability. Using 4.5 works fine by itself on the given station, but then we lose the VRS Production license. Or so some people think.
The only thing I am sure of is that we did notice after a while that the previously licenced VRS capability was lost after the KC upgrade.

I agree with Russel when he wrote "It sound like it may be checking the central site before checking the local machine.". But if true, its a design flaw on existing sites.
David
Participant

Postby russell@centuryc.com » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:35 am

I'm running BBH Truper, Spectrum and Spectrum XF with KC9/VRS 4.5 and OEM licensing.

I don't remember having a problem with losing the license of a 4.x system with a upgrade. I seem to recall an issue where I might have had to get to 4.1 before the upgrade worked, but I think I was warned during the install.

If you're upgrading from a 3.x or an Adrenaline 650 board license, then all you'll get is Basic, but even that seems to work (usually).

If you're using a 850/1700 card, that's a /NOVrs job for sure.
Russell
russell@centuryc.com
Participant

Postby prat61 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:39 pm

Here is some more info. After going to the machine that has the production scanner Canon 9080c I carried a notbook with the capture license utility open. I scan a batch and refresh the license utility and the available license goes to 0. I close out of the scan module and try to re-open and it gives me that a production license is needed. On the Kofax Server it is showing that it is still in use. All of my other scanning stations were running as well. It seems that the Fujitsu workgroup scanner is using the OEM license like it should. It seems to be a server problem not releasing the VRS Professional Production License. I am restarting the Kofax server just to release the license. That is becoming a pain because all work has to come to a halt. This is something Kofax needs to look into. From reading the Forums it seems a lot of users are having the same problem.
prat61
Participant

Postby russell@centuryc.com » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:47 pm

That sounds like a problem on the client end of things. Are you up to date on VRS service packs and patches?
Russell
russell@centuryc.com
Participant

Next

Return to VRS General Discussion