Kodak Perfect Page?

Kodak Perfect Page?

Postby malik » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:39 am

We typically buy Fujitsu scanners which all come with VRS as standard. A customer of ours has ordered a Kodak scanner which comes with perfect page.
We have been told perfect Page Kodaks equivalent of VRS?. Has anyone compared the two?
malik
Participant

Re: Kodak Perfect Page?

Postby russell@centuryc.com » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:36 am

I believe they are fairly close, and even cross-license some of the same technology. However, the few times I've looked at Perfect Page, it did not have the Interactive screen that VRS has. I think there's some interactivity in helping you set the settings, but none for fixing the page during scan time.

In short, PP is probably good for most scanning, but if you've got some nasty things that can only be done on a page-by-page basis, then only VRS will do.
Russell
russell@centuryc.com
Participant

Postby amayer@us.ibm.com » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:58 pm

I just did a comparison of both.

For our project we are scanning backfile images with a large variety of document quality. Some are nice and clean paper, some are dark, some on thin paper, some colored paper, hole punches at the top, photos, certificates with shading, etc.

If you are scanning pretty clean paper, Perfect Page is great and it's faster. For our mixed document quality, VRS provides significantly better images, but VRS is very CPU intensive and slows down high speed scanners if all of the features are turned on.

1) Perfect page does not have an interactive mode like VRS does, but you typically don't want to use that on high speed scanner anyway. You could use PerfectPage on your high speed scanner, and use VRS on your rescan workstations with the interactive adjustment option.

2) Perfect page runs at rated speed of scanner. If you enable a lot of image processing features and scan at 300dpi with VRS Elite with multi-core support it will slow down a 100+ ppm scanner. We used ~140 ppm scanner, with core i3 3.3ghz processor, Win 7, VRS Elite and VRS Elite won't quite keep up with 135 ppm scanner. We are scanning at 300dpi, advanced clarity, auto rotate, content based back page deletion, auto brightness. Basically all of the VRS features. If you turn some of the VRS features off, or get a faster PC, VRS may keep up better.

3) Perfect page when used with Kofax Capture does not have as many features as VRS with Kofax Capture.
- Ignore holes for blank page removal
- Has something similar to Advanced clarity, but not quite as good.
- Auto brightness not quite as good as VRS.
- No halftone feature (a great new feature in VRS elite if you scan photos or other docs that look better in gray scale)

4) If you use Perfect Page with Kodak's capture product, there are more features available. I think Kodak is trying to address this so PerfectPage will work better with Kofax Capture. Basically, they are pushing more features down to the scanner.

Thanks,
Alan
amayer@us.ibm.com
Participant

Postby russell@centuryc.com » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:26 pm

Question: If you disable the features in VRS that Perfect Page doesn't have, can VRS keep up? It seems unfair to penalize it if you're making it do things that other product can't do.
Russell
russell@centuryc.com
Participant

Postby amayer@us.ibm.com » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:13 pm

Yes, if you disable features on VRS (esp Advanced Clarity) and run it on a fast PC it keeps up with the scanner. Also, the VRS board in the Fujitsu helps with performance, although not all of the VRS processing is done on the VRS board in the scanner. The CPU still gets pegged on the PC the scanner is hooked up to.

Even though VRS is slower, we think it's worth it for the improved image quality and the savings in quality control. We are trying to get a faster PC for testing.
amayer@us.ibm.com
Participant

Return to VRS General Discussion