Component installers for VRS 5

Component installers for VRS 5

Postby dkekesi » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:52 am

Hi All,

What happened to all the VRS component installers? I can't seem to locate any for VRS 5.

Thanks.
Best Regards,

Daniel Kekesi
DocSoft Hungary
dkekesi
Participant

Re: Component installers for VRS 5

Postby Hando Penu » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:13 am

Hando Penu
Participant

Postby dkekesi » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:51 am

Thanks, but I know this page and this is not it. The list of component installers is way too short and only contains newer models. For instance how do I install a Fujitsu fi-4340C scanner??? It is supported and certified with VRS 5.0.1 but there's no component installer. I can download ISIS drivers from Fujitsu's web site, but I really liked the idea of using Kofax certified drivers without the need to hunt them down on manufacturers' web sites.
Best Regards,

Daniel Kekesi
DocSoft Hungary
dkekesi
Participant

Postby Hando Penu » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:36 am

Hi!

You're correct... New ones only are there. And there is nothing about older scanners :?
Maybe we shall use those from VRS4.5?
But to be honest, they added huge overhead to VRS4.5 installation... they should be available as separate download..
Hando
Hando Penu
Participant

Postby russell@centuryc.com » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:53 am

dkekesi wrote:For instance how do I install a Fujitsu fi-4340C scanner??? It is supported and certified with VRS 5.0.1 but there's no component installer.

I've only seen componet installers when a scanner comes out AFTER the release of VRS. Since I think the fi-4340C is older then VRS 5, I think you'll find that VRS already has that.

Now, that doesn't mean you don't have to install drivers from the manufacturer. I can't recall ever taking a new scanner and only installing VRS + componet installers and making things work.

But in the case of Fujitsu, I'd download from their site. Since that's older then 5.0, I'd install their product first and then KC10/VRS 5.0. That way you get VRS for free.
Russell
russell@centuryc.com
Participant

Postby rpapa » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:40 am

doesn't KC10 with VRS elite?

I don't think the VRS elite will be licensed.

I ran into a problem before and support told me if I want VRS to be licensed, I had to install KC10 using the /novrs switch.

The newer fujitsu scanners though come with VRS 5 (not elite).
rpapa
Participant

Postby russell@centuryc.com » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:25 am

rpapa wrote:doesn't KC10 with VRS elite?

At this point, "elite" is both a version (VRS 5) and a "licensing level" So now we have Basic, Pro and Elite. (And let's not forget the speed levels of Desktop, Workgroup and Production.)

Yes, KC10 does come with the VRS 5 software, but no license. This isn't any different then KC8, or KC9.

rpapa wrote:I ran into a problem before and support told me if I want VRS to be licensed, I had to install KC10 using the /novrs switch.

I'm sure it depends on the upgrade path. I'm not sure if there's free upgrade from prior versions to 5.0. (But since I only see Elite on the price list, that begs the question of how do you get Basic or Pro unless it's only for OEM.)

rpapa wrote:The newer fujitsu scanners though come with VRS 5 (not elite).

If it's "newish" it may just be a download. New Kodak Trupers are shipping with 5 (I'm not sure if the level) and there's a discount for Canon when buying a scanner.
Russell
russell@centuryc.com
Participant

Return to VRS General Discussion