What does Roller Health value mean?

What does Roller Health value mean?

Postby dwhelan » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:23 pm

I’m troubleshooting a barcode read issue at a customer site and am I’m looking for a definitive documentation on VRS Elite’s Scanner Health Check features.

The Help file with VRS describes how the Health Target sheet should be scanned, but doesn’t explain what the results mean in detail. In my specific situation, the Roller Health is reporting between 85 and 88 with the target sheet.

I’ve searched the Knowledgebase and there are 3 articles – including listing all the values returned by the Health Check – but none of them actually defines for me what “85” for roller health means.

I’ve additionally searched your Support section’s Application Notes / SNMP Data Available for Kofax VRS 5.x (Elite) –it mentions the Roller Health as a variable that can be retrieved, but points me back to the Help file for details on the meaning of the values.

I know I can call your support and have my customer pay-per-incident, but it seems to me we shouldn’t have to pay for something that should be already documented.

Maybe there’s another place I can look for this answer?

Suggestions or answers anyone?

Thank you

David Whelan
dwhelan
Participant

Re: What does Roller Health value mean?

Postby Hando Penu » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:09 pm

Hi!

This should mean, that the pick roller/feed rollers on scanner are wearing out. VRS Helath monitors scanner errors and if too many misfeeds happen, it will classifiy them and set the KPI's, like Roller Health. so basically You are dealing with two possible problems:
1. Rollers are too old, wearing out. If this is true, replace them. Worn feed rollers may slip and it results distortions in scanned image and it may be also cause for misread barcodes.
2. Second reason may be the paper itself - it may be dusty, too slippery or too abrasive. Also environmental issues like relative humidity and static electricity affect the picking ability. Dusty paper/paper quality issue may also affect barcode reading quality.

Hando
Hando Penu
Participant

Postby russell@centuryc.com » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:05 pm

I think the underlying question is how does it figure it out? Is it due to the number of mis-feeds or what I call "struggle time" trying to get the paper to the next set of rollers, or is it just a dumb page counter?
Russell
russell@centuryc.com
Participant

Postby Hando Penu » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:44 am

Hi!

When Kofax introduced it - I got an impression, that it is combination that considers page counts, misfeeds, double feeds - all kind of feeding stats.

Hando
Hando Penu
Participant

Return to VRS General Discussion