VRS new feature requests

VRS new feature requests

Postby » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:59 pm

Do you have an idea for a new feature that should be included in an upcoming version of VRS? Is there a current feature you think can be improved? Can you suggest ways to improve the user-friendliness of VRS?

Here’s your chance to tell us. Whether it be a major overhaul, or a minor tweak, all ideas will be reviewed and considered
Site Admin

Postby » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:19 pm

Hello,
Not really a new feature, but I think it would be nice if VRS training was
1) increased in the Ascent Capture base training
2) also was introduced as a separated training. At least one full day could be of interested for some people, or so I believe. People having done the base Ascent Capture training, perhaps a very long time ago... and in need of beefing up on VRS and the VRS family.

Closer to a feature could perhaps be something in the lines of an interactive tutorial and sample material included on the VRS cd.

As with Xtrata, some people could be knowledgeable with Ascent Capture, but in great need of kick-starting increased skills on complementary software.
1 day could be used for in-depth Xtrata training. Two days could form a SBL Scripting training course... By this approach you get a real smorgasboard of additional russins to pick, either completely separate or together with the current Ascent Essentials (what I use to call the base training..).

Well, I hope more people will post better posts in this tread... Great idea, hope it will get some more attention!

Considering all posts about troubles and/or questions about profiles in VRS, perhaps this could be discussed further...?
/David
If you make it idiot-proof, someone will make a better idiot.
Participant

Postby » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:21 pm

Training: Yes! Training specifically on VRS would be great. Particularly training aimed at the operators. I can understand to some extent why there is no training for Ascent operations since it's too variable depending on how the batch class was built (but some raw stock to allow us to create a custom training would be great!) But VRS is VRS and training would be very helpful.

As for VRS features, I'd like to see VRS Later get overhauled so that all images are saved in grayscale. That way the operator can re-adjust the image later in QC. The way it's currently implemented, the image has to error out to be saved that way and then it has to be adjusted. The way I'd like to see VRS later work is to give the option of fixing any image that operator thinks needs to be fixed. Yes, that will greatly increase storage, but that's my problem.

I'd also like to see a VRS "confidence" setting. Perhaps to use in conjunction with the current method that VRS Later operates in. The "confidence" determines how confident that VRS is that it got a good setting. I'd see this is a function of how much small changes would affect the outcome. If the scanned page was pure black and white, then VRS would be confident. If there was mid-tone grays, then VRS wouldn't be confident since it's unknown if the gray is a stain that should be whited out or something significant that should be back ended in. Highlighting to show the grays that caused low confidence would help draw the operator's attention to that area of the document.

I'd also like to see VRS do more with grayscale and color images. Right now it scans and you can interact with them, but the default settings for bitonal tend to create very bland color images. (No whites, no blacks, just lots of gray.)
Participant

Postby » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:49 am

Hello,

As for the wishlist of VRS improvements:
- manual crop feature - I miss it so much. VRS almost always fails when it comes to auto cropping documents with dark/black edges. Ability to deskew manually (which is present) and then crop manually would save me plenty of time
- profiles - currently I can save all adjustment settings as a profile but that would be great to save only selected settings, for example when I want to turn on or off "edge cleanup" only. I cannot use a profile (hotkey) to do this as it changes all other settings as well.
- manual orientation - self explanatory, rotate 90degrees either way if auto orientation fails
- colour mode as an option when you scan, rather than before you scan. Same for simplex/duplex
- QC modes - Usually I want to review all pages as they get scanned and I want scanner to buffer a few pages to speed up scanning. Maybe that's something I just do wrong, but if I choose QC all pages then scanner scans one page at a time, if I choose QC First page it buffers pages but to be able to review them all I need to set "brightness out of range" threshold to 0 so that all pages I scan come out as to be reviewed. It does work for bitonal and greyscale, it does not for colour though.
- enhance multifeed pages - maybe that's something related to my scanner, nonetheless some sheets I scan (like envelopes, ones with post-its etc.) multifeed even though they are fine which I understand, the point is I cannot enhance them as the only option I have is OK or rescan. Then I have to press "multifeed ignore" button on the scanner, choose "rescan", feed the page again and only then I have a chance to enhance it.

That's a long wishlist, I know, but any of these features/improvements would make a big difference for me.
Participant

Postby » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:19 pm

I'd like to add user rights on editing/saving profiles. Some users are allowed to do that, but some are not. I'd like this at the application level so a supervior can do the fix without having to close everything, log out, log in as supervisor, scan, change the settings, save it, log out, log the employee back in and resume scanning. Just a password prompt for saving would be nice.
Participant

Postby » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:59 am

Hi!

Some kind of intelligent gamma tuning would be great. I have encountered lot of cases, where document quality is generally very good, but sometimes there are very bad documents - like very dark copies of driver's license or something like that. They usually need more aggressive treatment from VRS, so when I set the settings for them, it will start killing my good documents. These documents will not show up in exception queue also...

Also I have a one idea for Ascent Capture + VRS. At this point there is a feature QC later. It has a one drawback - it gets the files, that were rejected by VRS. But sometimes there is need for late fine-tuning after validation queue (for example those very bad quality drivers license copies...). It would be great to have full qc-later functionality - so it is possible to tune every document in a batch afterwards...

Hando

Postby » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:00 am

It could be helpful if VRS profiles and scanner profiles could be managed and saved from one interface and saved/load against one place.
The Export/Import functionality with CAB files springs to my mind.
I realize that there is not always a 1-1, but if we got a few more options for what to Export/Import this would become a powerful administration feature. A more convenient way to keep things together, things that in fact must be kept together in some way to ensure proper system output.

I read in the general Ascent Capture forum that centralized management of scanner profiles is to be introduced in AC 8.0, but would it not be nice if Kofax provided some ready-made integrated support for managing and storing the VRS-profiles also together with all other pieces that makes the solution. Now the configuration artefacts are stored here and there (same problem goes for Xtrata as far as I know).
/David
If you make it idiot-proof, someone will make a better idiot.
Participant

Postby » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:53 am

russell@centuryc.com wrote:
As for VRS features, I'd like to see VRS Later get overhauled so that all images are saved in grayscale. That way the operator can re-adjust the image later in QC. The way it's currently implemented, the image has to error out to be saved that way and then it has to be adjusted. The way I'd like to see VRS later work is to give the option of fixing any image that operator thinks needs to be fixed. Yes, that will greatly increase storage, but that's my problem.

I could not agree more, we have documents that it is not very useful to set thresholds for VRS and it would be much better to be able to send the images to QC for review without them being rejected by VRS to be updated. Does anyone know if something like this has made it into the upcoming release??

Thanks

MikeB.
Participant

Postby » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:01 am

This would be great - I have seen in many cases, that some documents need adjustment after scanning as originals are extremely bad quality or there is a need to fine-tune the document more than VRS itself does (the document passes VRS as ok). Operators just reject the document and in QC they just tune it - rescanning is not needed in 95% cases if this functionality would be available.

Hando

Postby » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:31 pm

We would really benefit from the ability to endorse the same number to one or more pages.

We scan all of our invoices for storage on our AS400. The images are stored under their endorser stamp which is a number that increments by one for each "Document" scanned, regardless of how many pages the document may contain. Our batches are configured to scan each page in a document with the same number. VRS currently does not support this; as a result we are forced to use an ISIS driver.
Participant

Postby » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:25 pm

what application are you using?

what scanner?

If your isis driver supports it, then AIPE might support it (if you application supports it).
Participant

License Server

Postby » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:53 am

It would be nice to have a VRS server that handled the licensing portion of VRS. We are a VRS shop, but do not use Ascent Capture. It would be nice to have a server that managed the licenses instead of having to maintain the acitvation and deactivation of licenses on each PC running VRS.
Participant

Endorsing with VRS

Postby » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:44 pm

The ability to not add a counter is already available when using VRS. As Raymond asked, what application are you using?

Here is a test to try, from the PC where you do your scanning and imprinting, launch the VCDemo program from the Kofax VRS folder. From the Source menu select Scanner and then select the source for your scanner that includes "with SVRS with AIPE". Click OK. Assuming you have the correct license you should not get any error message.

Once the source is selected, select the Imaging menu and then the Auto Endorse/Annotate Properties option. Select the Enable Automatic Endorser check box and you should see that the Counter Increment options include an option named "Inc Off". This will not include a counter and will just print the Prefex string on each page.

If you are using Ascent (or any other ImageControls application) this dialog box should be available. If you can't find it you may want to contact Ascent Support.
Brian McDougle
Software Project Lead
Kofax Image Products
Participant

Postby » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:32 pm

4.2 is out and it looks like a big letdown for me, no QC later rework form what I can tell. :(
Participant

Postby » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:04 pm

What additional features in QC Later were you looking for?
Brian McDougle
Software Project Lead
Kofax Image Products
Participant

Next

Return to VRS General Discussion