VRS new feature requests

Postby » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:05 pm

brian.mcdougle@kofax.com wrote:What additional features in QC Later were you looking for?

Speaking for myself, the ability to optionally QC Later any page I feel like. Right now QC Later only works if an error is detected at scan time and then I'm forced to adjust it later.

In our shop we have a QC step for all our scan jobs. Naturally we sometimes see images that need to be adjusted.

Needless to say, this will take up a lot of hard drive space to hold the grayscale for all those pages, but space is cheap. I want the abilty to do it.
Participant

Postby » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:32 pm

Hmm. Interesting. I would bet that if you wanted every document to be available to be QC'd using QC Later you could set the Brightness Out of Range setting (right click the VRS icon, select Admin Utility, select the Traps tab) to a very small number (like 2 or even 1) and it would capture nearly every document. Then in the QC Later viewer most of the time you would accept the default image.

Again, as you indicated this would take up a lot of disk space until the documents were QC'd and your QC person would have to QC a lot of documents.

Check with our Tech Support on this, but I think it can be done.
Brian McDougle
Software Project Lead
Kofax Image Products
Participant

Postby » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:39 pm

What I found when I originally tried this is that all images came up as "ugly" in the viewer. And I had to fix all of them.

Maybe they changed things since that trial.
Participant

Postby » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:02 pm

brian.mcdougle@kofax.com wrote:What additional features in QC Later were you looking for?

Something like this...

bollingm@saic.com wrote:
russell@centuryc.com wrote:
As for VRS features, I'd like to see VRS Later get overhauled so that all images are saved in grayscale. That way the operator can re-adjust the image later in QC. The way it's currently implemented, the image has to error out to be saved that way and then it has to be adjusted. The way I'd like to see VRS later work is to give the option of fixing any image that operator thinks needs to be fixed. Yes, that will greatly increase storage, but that's my problem.
Participant

Postby » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:15 pm

The user interface could use some re-make. It is a bit odd now with the small vertical tabs - or labels .in the VRS Adjustment Controls you click on the right side, is it not? They, Clarity, Noise etc, really jump a long way up or down when you want to browse the settings.
Not really main stream MS Windows GUI design is it? It is not that effective either from a user perspective; it requires more vertical mouse movement and a wider scope for the eye for example.

I have also wondered about that profile menu. You have Save, Save As and Organize (Organize also including Save and Load buttons)... Stop and think about that for a while.

Considering the GUI standards in previous AC main GUIs, it is a bit strange that the VRS should have a standard of its own. I mean the software is pretty tight is it not.
/David
If you make it idiot-proof, someone will make a better idiot.
Participant

Postby » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:33 am

Maybe the customer is dreaming, but how about the ability for VRS to change only a section of a page by perhaps drawing a square?

You know sometimes, when you adjust the settings, one area, lets call it A, is good, but area B is bad. When you adjust the settings, Area A & B looks good, but C is bad.

so if VRS had the ability of adjusting only sections of a page, A B & C will be good!
Participant

Postby » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:31 pm

I am with the others who want to be able to take grayscale TIFs and QC them later. It would be extremely useful to give files which have arrived from a digital camera the VRS treatment.

I also agree with David's observations about the vertical tabs being inconvenient and involving too much mouse travel.

Paul
Participant

Postby » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:09 pm

Hi!

Talking about QC Later - What my customers would like (what they have told me) is following:
Doing QC right after scan is time consuming and it is not for everyone... Too much work. What they would like to do is during validation or even right in scan module, they have to verify the image anyway. When the image needs treatment, it will be rejected and sent to QC. And there operator can use QC Later to tune the image. They have sometimes some documents, that pass VRS without any problems, but need special treatment to make the document readable. for this kind of jobs it would be perfect.
And the disc space - how much 500GB disk costs? It's like having a lunch... And in not the fanciest place.

Hando
Participant

Postby » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:12 pm

Yes, I'd like to see QC Later be available for any image at the operator's option.

But something else that might help, is if VRS could give a "confidence level". If a image is pure black and white, then it has a high confidence. You could move the controls all over the place and get the same image.

But if the image has gray in it (light pencil) then the confidence is lower since a change in settings would change how that's rendered. The biggest problem with the way QC later works right now is that a "VRS error" caused by exceeding the brightness or contrast threshold is a poor predictor in needing adjustment.
Participant

Run Faster

Postby » Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:50 pm

I would like to see VRS run faster. We use hardware VRS with our Fujitsu scanners but I can't "push" any more than 120 ipm at 300 dpi.

Additionally, we find that VRS will dissconnect every now and then which requires us to re-select the scanner again.
Participant

Re: Run Faster

Postby » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:34 pm

brothaslide wrote:I would like to see VRS run faster.

Does the scanner run faster if you don't use VRS but run in grayscale mode? I wouldn't expect VRS to run any faster then a scanner's grayscale mode for a given DPI.
Participant

Re: Run Faster

Postby » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:47 pm

brothaslide wrote:Additionally, we find that VRS will dissconnect every now and then which requires us to re-select the scanner again.

I belive we also have that problem. Not every day, but now and then each month. It is still annoying for the operators. Hard to narrow down I guess...
If you make it idiot-proof, someone will make a better idiot.
Participant

Previous

Return to VRS General Discussion