Can't get ISIS driver to work - Kodak i1320

Can't get ISIS driver to work - Kodak i1320

Postby minjug » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:02 pm

Hi!

This is a really strange problem, I've installed dozens of scanners, and never came upon something like this.
I've installed the drivers for Kodak i1320 on XPSP2, everything went as usual, I've plugged in the scanner, got two dialogs to confirm that I want to use non-certified drivers, and got the message that the device was installed properly - as usual.
Well, when I opened Kodak's Scan Validation Tool, I couldn't see any ISIS source. I see only TWAIN and it scans normally. When i tried to use this Kodak as a source in KC80/VRS42, I got an ISIS error, both when trying to scan with or wothout VRS. This was expected as the system obviously CANNOT SEE THE ISIS DRIVER. (the same happens in VCDemo)
I had a long e-mail conversation with a Kodak support guy: all the ISIS files are in Windows/Pixtran directory, scanner shows up in Device Manager, I have read/write permissions on all the needed folders, and so on...

I'm suspecting it has to do something with the security policy at the customer's domain, which somehow doesn't allow to use an ISIS scan driver... Because everything else seems to be just fine...

Has anyoune had a similar experience?
minjug
Participant

Postby HANDO.PENU@NETGROUP.EE » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:59 am

Hi!

Look from the VRS installation media for Kodak i1300 component installer. And install it. If You can not find it , try the on on Kofax website: http://www.kofax.com/support/IP/VRS/4.1 ... nloads.asp
It should install necessary ISIS drivers.
Hando
HANDO.PENU@NETGROUP.EE
Participant

Postby minjug » Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:16 am

Hando, thanx for the answer. However, CI for the 1300 was installed with VRS, but still couldn't get to load the source.

In the meantime, the administrators turned off all the policies for this computer, and I managed to get the system to recognize the ISIS driver. However, I still seem to have some problems installing VRS and AIPE since I cannot get the Image Cleanup feature to work. Although the with VRS with AIPE source is selected, there's no possibility to scan Sample Pages in the Admin module because it says that image cleanup is not supported (even when I turn Deskew Sample Images off in Scan menu), and the PDF Generator. Also, it seems that it takes a lot of time to unload a scan source when I shut down some Kofax application and try to turn on another one. I get a message that the scan source is still used by another application, and need to wait some time to switch, for example, from Admin to Scan module. This might be because of VRS SW license which is on the USB dongle on the server...
minjug
Participant

Postby HANDO.PENU@NETGROUP.EE » Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:25 am

Hi!

Recreate the scan sources as it seems, that there is something wrong with them.
If you are getting errors with other modules also - it's clear that the policies did screw something up. Probably did not allow some DLL to register or something similar.
Try to recreate also file source, as there are some, that are used internally by Capture modules.
If this does not help - reinstall VRS.

Hando
HANDO.PENU@NETGROUP.EE
Participant

Postby minjug » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:11 am

already tried to recreate standard sources, both for Kodak and for File Import. didn't help.

the thing is that I cannot even get to install KC80 normally. when i run setup.exe from the wrkinst folder on the server, it fails at the beginning, when installing VRS components with the Windows Installer dialog displaying command line options???
so, i have to install KC with the novrs option, which also gives out errors that kfstg310.dll and kcl310.dll are missing.
after that, i install vrs42 separately, which also gives out an error that Vrs.ScanApp.Admin encountered a problem...
after that I get Kofax and VRS installed, but with the problems mentioned in the previous post.

will contact Kofax support. something's really stinking here, regarding some security policies i suspect. I did dozens of Kofax installations, but never seen something so screwed up :(

P.S.
yes, i stopped the Windows Firewall service :)
minjug
Participant

Postby HANDO.PENU@NETGROUP.EE » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:23 am

Hi!

Try to install VRS 4.2 first. And then KC.
Talking about security policies - they can and do big mess if they are implemented. the best i have seen, was that after setting the policy, it was impossible to log in...

But I have a idea, how to get rid of them temporarily:

Remove workstation from domain - it will remove all custom security policies. PS! ensure, that You know the local admin password!!!
Install KC using UNC path. there is one catch - you have to quarantee, that it possible to access the Wrkstinst folder without separate user authentication during install, as the finalization of install runs before you have time to reattach to the UNC path with username/password
After installation is finished, put workstation back to domain and hope, that then policies, that will be put back do not interfere with KC's files. If KC does not work after reinserting to domain, then it's 100% sure - some serious issue with policies and they have to be examined to reveal, what's really going on.

I used this trick once (not with KC, but...) as it was impossible to install to workstation anything due the policies despite what rights you had (domain admin was not enough)....

Hando
HANDO.PENU@NETGROUP.EE
Participant

Postby russell@centuryc.com » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:43 am

I would not install VRS at all. KC8 comes with VRS 4.2. Just install KC8 and use the VRS license to activate.
russell@centuryc.com
Participant

Return to ImageControls General Discussion