Unable to change TIFF Compression

Unable to change TIFF Compression

Postby Thomas » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:39 pm

I'm pretty new to both this forum, and the ways of scanning, so i'd like to excuse any shortcomings i might have on this subject :)

Anyways we have an application we're using to split up documents into multi-page TIFF files, we use the barcode recognition features to do that.

Here's the problem:

The application is question is installing old versions of the different controls used by VCDemo/Imagecontrols, we found out in the end that it replaced 3 files that were versioned 4.10 to files versioned 3.65, we got around that problem and had the document seperation work(It would not work with the 3.65 controls that it had installed)

So now we got document seperation working, and all was apparently fine, but it turns out that Windows Picture & Fax Viewer does not support the JPEG compression in the TIFF files.

And as such we've been told that the documents needs to be saved in a proper format that the Picture & Fax Viewer supports, as far as i've found out it seems to support anything but the JPEG compression.

So to cut a story short:

Program is using some older files, it cannot seperate documents, but it does get the imageformat and compression right.
Program with the newest 4.10 files can seperate documents but saves to TIFF->JPEG Compression.

I know this might just be the correct people to contact, but it seems to be the last avenue of help we can get short of paying a fortune to get someone to set it up for us.

All help is appreciated, if you have no idea why it wouldn't be remembering the compression and fileformat options that would of course be the ideal solution.

But if you know anything to enable JPEG Compression support within Windows Picture & Fax Viewer, or perhaps know other suitable applications that can do similar tasks you're welcome to tell me about that too.

Anyways thanks for your time,
Thomas
Thomas
Participant

Re: Unable to change TIFF Compression

Postby russell@centuryc.com » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:43 pm

Thomas wrote:But if you know anything to enable JPEG Compression support within Windows Picture & Fax Viewer, or perhaps know other suitable applications that can do similar tasks you're welcome to tell me about that too.

http://www.irfanview.com/

If you can get your hands on it, the old Kodak Professional Viewer. (A light version was packaged with Windows 2000 and before.)
russell@centuryc.com
Participant

Re: Unable to change TIFF Compression

Postby Thomas » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:56 pm

russell@centuryc.com wrote:
Thomas wrote:But if you know anything to enable JPEG Compression support within Windows Picture & Fax Viewer, or perhaps know other suitable applications that can do similar tasks you're welcome to tell me about that too.

http://www.irfanview.com/

If you can get your hands on it, the old Kodak Professional Viewer. (A light version was packaged with Windows 2000 and before.)

Thanks for your suggestion, but apparently we don't have that choice, atleast not for now.
Thomas
Participant

Postby Thomas » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:20 am

It appears the software is disregarding any compression directives set in kscan.ini and so forth.

It is odd that it uses a one compression with 3.#### and another with 4.10.
Thomas
Participant

Return to ImageControls General Discussion