appending in vcdemo

appending in vcdemo

Postby rpapa » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:55 am

Ya, I know vcdemo is only used for testing, but I can I do, the customer wants to use it for scanning and appending files.

I thought someone explained before why appending to a page eventually slows down as the files get bigger. Is it because the network can't keep up with the scanner (Truper 3600) and as a page gets added it travels across the network everytime time (instead of just the page that gets added). The file is a PDF.

The scanner starts to slows down after a bout 50+ pages and slows down even further as more pages are added. appending to the desktop is fine.

VRS 4.1 & SP2 installed.
rpapa
Participant

Re: appending in vcdemo

Postby russell@centuryc.com » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:17 pm

rpapa wrote:Is it because the network can't keep up with the scanner (Truper 3600) and as a page gets added it travels across the network everytime time (instead of just the page that gets added).

I know it works that way for Ascent Release. No idea about VCDemo.

You might try disabling the anti-virus on the server and the workstation because it's going to check the file on every change (page) - and as the file gets larger, there's more to scan.
russell@centuryc.com
Participant

Postby rpapa » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:41 pm

thanks for the tip, will give that a try...

So if Ascent does it that way and (if vcdemo does it the same way while scanning), Ascent should 'experience' the same problem (assuming the antivirus is still on)?
rpapa
Participant

Postby russell@centuryc.com » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:03 pm

rpapa wrote:So if Ascent does it that way and (if vcdemo does it the same way while scanning), Ascent should 'experience' the same problem (assuming the antivirus is still on)?

It can. But it's in the release process (if you release as multipage). Nobody really cares much about release speed. It doesn't get ridiculously slow until you get somewhere above 1,000 pages.

During scanning everything is stored as single page, so there's no issue there.

A feature I'd like to see is for Ascent to change the way it builds multi-page documents. Seems like it should be possible to do it in two passes. First skim over all the source pages to gather the needed information and then build the file in a stream on the second pass. Much like the way CD burning software works.
russell@centuryc.com
Participant

Return to ImageControls General Discussion