20093 Peripheral Mechanical Malfunction

20093 Peripheral Mechanical Malfunction

Postby » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:28 am

20093 Peripheral Mechanical Malfunction with a B&H 8080DB1 VRS with a 650i

Our customer gets this sporadically and there is no error on the scanner panel. Everything I have ever seen with this error it was always hardware related but the hardware tech says he can not find anything wrong.

What are other possible reasons for this?
Participant

Postby » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:39 pm

What version of VRS are you running? Is it the current version (4.1) with all the service packs?

I'd also recommend you check and see if the i650 board is sharing an IRQ with anything else. In theory it should share OK - in theory. I like to find it it's own IRQ. This some times takes moving the board between different slots to find the best place. Sometimes sharing with something is unavoidable, but I avoid sharing with the display or network card since they will be very active during scanning.
Participant

Postby » Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:43 pm

This is 4.1 I think, not sure of the patch level. If an update resolves this, it isn't documented at all in the Kofax knowlege base. I forgot to mention that on occasion an error does appear on the scanner panel about a bad exit sensor, but not always.

I appreciate the response russell, however I hear this answer a lot for mysterious Kofax issues, regarding IRQ sharing.

The problem with that answer is that in XP, changing an IRQ usually requires disabling ACPI which sometimes has to be done at the time of the XP install itself. You can't rely on changing it in the BIOS because ACPI overrides the BIOS settings. Sometimes changing a slot will not change the IRQ anyway. Like you pointed out, it is sometimes unavoidable. This seems like a huge problem with Kofax itself because as you pointed out XP is supposed to allow you to share IRQ's in the first place.

For now I think the burden of proof is with the hardware tech since historically this has always been a hardware issue, so I threw it back at him.
Last edited by bandersen on Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Participant

Postby » Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:46 pm

bandersen wrote:This seems like a huge problem with Kofax itself because as you pointed out XP is supposed to allow you to share IRQ's in the first place.

Actually I see it as more of a problem with XP - because it requires all the drivers to play well together. A rather Utopian concept. With that in mind, how about updating the drivers that Kofax does share with?
Participant

Re: 20093 Peripheral Mechanical Malfunction

Postby » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:17 pm

bandersen wrote:20093 Peripheral Mechanical Malfunction with a B&H 8080DB1 VRS with a 650i
Our customer gets this sporadically and there is no error on the scanner panel. Everything I have ever seen with this error it was always hardware related but the hardware tech says he can not find anything wrong.
What are other possible reasons for this?

Well, according to my experience servicing guys have a tendency to push unknown problems to others. This happens regardless of scanner manufacturer. Mechanical malfunction is 99.9% scanner hardware problem. I'd insist to that tech guy getting around again. If the problem remains he should bring a replacement scanner to see if the error disappears.

I forgot to mention that on occasion an error does appear on the scanner panel about a bad exit sensor, but not always.

There might be more than one problem but one of them is definitely a hardware issue...
Best Regards,

Daniel Kekesi
DocSoft Hungary
Participant

Re: 20093 Peripheral Mechanical Malfunction

Postby » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:49 pm

dkekesi wrote:If the problem remains he should bring a replacement scanner to see if the error disappears.

Depends on the contract. He may not be required to supply one. And if internal, the company may not have one.

Software is also prone to random screw-ups, so you can't pin it all on hardware.

But it wouldn't hurt to open the scanner and fish all the staples and whatnot out of it. You'd be amazed at how much can pile up in those machines.
Participant

Return to Adrenaline General Discussion