SCSI Command Hung - Adrenaline 650I

SCSI Command Hung - Adrenaline 650I

Postby J.Fischer » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:59 am

Hello,

we are using a Fujitsu-FI4220 scanner and the Adrenaline 650I card.
After installing Windows XP the communication between card and scanner failed.

We got the error message:
SCSI Command Hung

Do anybody has an idea?

Best regards,
J. Fischer
J.Fischer
Participant

Postby russell@centuryc.com » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:18 pm

What exactly was done? Is this a OS upgrade or a complete reformat?
russell@centuryc.com
Participant

Postby 72u7H » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:18 pm

http://knowledgebase.kofax.com/faqsearch/results.aspx?QAID=2347

This link above is for the 4860C scanner and for my company this did not work. I called kofax, they of course ran me in circles with trying different drivers, using VRS DEMO (to record settings). No matter what we try we get same thing as well.

Your using windows xp, we are using windows 2000 (we have multiple xp machines with same set up as well).

You can call Kofax, but they will not know the answer. Trust me I have been all up in their face about this and half of our operation is shut down due to this issue. Funny thing was, it worked before and all of the sudden it stopped and nothing changed. I do not believe we got lucky for 2 years then one day BAM we get this crap.

good luck in your quest, there is LITTLE information if any on the net, I have found that one link above which MAY help you and if it does PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know!!!!!!!
set it free.
72u7H
Participant

Postby 72u7H » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:00 am

Here we are 26th of december, still no word from kofax. They tried to tell me all of my cards are bad ( I doubt that 4+ cards would go bad on same day).

We still get scsi hung error. No amount of help from kofax can change this, does it on xp does it on win2k does it only with this card.

Funny how it worked for 2 years before going crap on us at same time.
set it free.
72u7H
Participant

Postby russell@centuryc.com » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:53 pm

You'll need to look at the common elements. I agree that 4+ cards gonig bad at once seems unlikely. I have had cards loose their microcode but that affected things like AIPE, not the SCSI.

Given the very limited discussion on this topic, it appears to be something unique to your site. Have you tried disabling all anti-virus? Were any patches installed just before it failed? New system policies rolled out?
russell@centuryc.com
Participant

Postby J.Fischer » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:55 am

Sorry for the late response but I was on holiday.

The xp installation ist a complete reformat. Under win 2000 it works fine.

This or next week I will try it one more time.
I will disable anti-virus and in my next step I will install xp without SP2.

If I have done it I will inform you about the results.
J.Fischer
Participant

Postby J.Fischer » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:49 am

I have installed the pc step by step.
I installed xp with sp2 and all win-updates

The failure is obviously caused by a software package.

Installing the pc without the software "discovery agent" it works.
If I install the software "discovery agent" it doesnot work and I get the failure scsi command hung.
J.Fischer
Participant

Postby Dan Miller » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:47 pm

Joachim:

Did you ever get to the bottom of this? I have the same message appearing on a new Dell PC with a Fujitus 4340c connected via Adrenaline 650i card. I uninstalled/reinstalled everything I can think of and contacted Kofax support - they believe it to be a bad SCSI cable (which is possible). I am remote to this PC, so I am waiting for a local tech to replace the cable, but reading this thread has me wondering.

Also, what is this "discovery agent" you are referring to?

Dan
Dan Miller
Participant

Postby J.Fischer » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:47 am

The software discovery agent is an agent for a tool that search for the hardware specifiations in a network. If this agent is installed on a pc you can see in an administration console which hardware components are installed in the pcs.

In my case it is definitely the reason for the problem.
But you have to know that it hasn't work after uninstall the discovery agent. If this software was installed once there is no chance to solve the problem. You have to reformat the pc complete.

I installed the pc step by step. It means that I installed the os win xp and then I tried to scan. Then I installed the next software and test one more time to scan. It always works to scan till installing the discovery agent. After installing the agent the error occured.

Maybe there are more software packages, which cause the same problem.
Best regards,
J. Fischer
J.Fischer
Participant

Scsi Hung Error - Solved.

Postby nickstudy » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:50 pm

I solved this issue (This is Nigel from previous post, I could not log in so I re registered).

Basically, I had to hose the system and re image using a OS disk, not the company image.

I logged in as a LOCAL ADMIN - If you do not log in as a local admin, this error will continue to haunt you.

I re installed the SCSI Driver (650i adrenaline) and confirmed it showed the correct name in device manager, then installed the scanner and finally ascent capture.

We do have some very specialized software that involves .ini files that are custom made for security reasons, however I have replicated this issue as a default plain vanilla installation.

The Key here is being a local admin and making sure that the Scsi card is installed under local admin, not domain admin, not a regular admin but a LOCAL ADMIN. I have been battling with this issue for 3 months and when I had another tech look at it here at my firm we decided to do the whole box as a local admin and that changed everything.

So if you are getting this error, re image the box as a local admin but do it piece by piece and reboot after each change (scsi card, ascent capture,)

Hope that helps, I am glad to put this thing behind me.
nickstudy
Participant

Postby russell@centuryc.com » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:58 pm

That's a known quirk in XP. Sometimes it doesn't recognize the Administrators group and only works for the local administrator.

In some cases, even that isn't enough. You have to log in with the same login as used to set up the machine.
russell@centuryc.com
Participant

Return to Adrenaline General Discussion