KCIC - Advanced Email & Fax

Ascent Collection Server

KCIC - Advanced Email & Fax

Postby » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:02 pm

Hi All.

I found out about this nice little product that was released late 2010, and wondered if anyone is using it yet?

Looks like it has some of the features of Kofax Communications Server, but without all the bulk. Convert emails & attachments to TIF, batch them by quantity or time into batches, use the email tags (subject, recipient, sender, etc) as batch or document fields, and even attach the email as an eml file. Plus it'll hook into faxes thru FoIP.

But that's the documentation, how about in reality? Has anyone found that out?

Thanks!
Cheers
- Hayden
Participant

Re: KCIC - Advanced Email & Fax

Postby » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:51 pm

I'm configuring this at the moment for emails. It's a little bit convoluted but not so bad.

I'm having trouble getting the body of emails to import at the moment, but have been able to successfully process attached PDFs. I'm sure if I keep plugging away at it, I'll get it under control.

Have you tried playing with it at all? Has anyone else?
Participant

Postby » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:15 am

MattStarr wrote:Have you tried playing with it at all? Has anyone else?

Yesterday I started with this product in a vmware environment. A customer of mine might want to use this. IMO its _realy_ a 1.0.0 version and I saw a lot of BATCH file (yes with the extension .BAT and not the extension .CMD) to glue things together. The reading of email works (PO3) but the batch created still has an error. Continuing....
With Regards, Aad Slingerland
Participant

Postby » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:46 am

I installed and configured this product and it's working great with KC9.0.3. I would say 90% of the time.

Write now I'm working on the following issues :

1- Some PDFs couldn't be imported by Kofax Capture and I'm the following message:
KC Import Failure (Could not import image)

2-Some emails couldn't be processed and I'm getting the following message:
KC Import Failure (The message has no content.) (The message has the content and the attachment

Any hint !!

Thanks
Participant

Postby » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:52 pm

I have it working for emails.

HHassan, I have seen those issues, but not at anywhere near the frequency you seem to.

The thing annoying me at the moment is you can only specify one email address for failed conversions. Ideally I'd like to have the failed conversions sent to
different addresses based on the email addresses they were sent to. Maybe we'll see that in the next version.
Participant

Postby » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:30 am

Hey Guys,

Do we know how this thing is capable of separating documents? Let's say we have an email with 14 attachments. Each attachment is a single document (maybe 1 page, maybe multiple pages). Will each attachment become a document or is it essentially like piling papers in a scanner - you have to set up separator pages or recognition zones, etc. to make sure each doc is recognized?

Also can this thing determine batch classes or is it limited to one batch class per email address? And can we use email subject lines as separators or a kind of form id?

Thanks for any input.

- Matt
Participant

Postby » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:40 am

I tested this and it looks like batch classes and form types are on a 1-to-1 basis with each other and the distributions for this connector. That means you can only send one form type to one email address. This seems kind of clunky to me. Does anyone have any information that invalidates this?

Thanks,

- Matt
Participant

Postby » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:41 pm

Can it handle other types of attachments besides PDF's? We get clients who sent in jpgs, gifs and almost everything else under the sun?
Participant

Postby » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:42 pm

Yes, as far as I know, it can take any eDocument type that you have configured in the batch class.
Participant

Postby » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:06 am

To the best group!

We finally were able to get our SMTP server set up correctly and therefore I am now getting emails into a batch class.

We have set up for PDF conversion of the email and attachments and what works well is PDF > PDF, Email to PDF and jpg > PDF without any special settings.

That said, we are getting mht and zip files emailed in.

How can we handle these two file types within KIC and Capture that makes sense?

Are there any other strange file types where we have have issues for conversion?

Thanks
Participant

Postby » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:09 am

Zip files - If you are using KIC-ED I know I have seen an option in the plugin to extract the contents.

MHT/HTML/EML/ETC - You have to have office or TotalHTMLX installed, according to the documentation.
Participant

Postby » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:34 am

Thanks for the promp replay.

I found in the documentation

Start Message Connector Configuration utility from the Kofax Import Connector -
Electronic Documents group in the Windows Start menu.

2 Go to the Document Conversion tab.

3 Select Enable Decompression if you want extract documents from compressed files.
The following formats/extensions are supported: zip, rar, 7z, tar, gzip. Extraction
happens before regular document conversion, i.e., a Word document extracted from a
zip file can be further converted into PDF. Extraction is repeated if the extracted file is
another compressed file (e.g., zip within zip), until all compressed files are extracted.

However there is no place to enable Decompression.

Also, if I am using MS Office for the conversion of MHT files, does it need to be installed on the server?
Participant

Postby » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:43 am

Was able to get everything working except zipped attachments to emails.

Has anyone done this?
Participant

Postby » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:22 pm

We have zipped attachments working. You need to have enable decompression tcked in the MC configuration.

We needed to upgrade the KCIC-ED to fixpack 3, but I think it was working from FixPack 1 onwards.

We had a hell of a time installing the FixPacks - apparently because we are using windows authentication to the SQl server. We had to temporarily switch to SQL authentication, install the fixpacks, and switch back. Very annoying, but we are working beautifully now.

We occasionally have problems with certain PDFs that the system can't process, but it's rare now.

The notifications based on the address/batch class are great, it just needs the ability to attach a copy of the email and it would be perfect. I've logged a feature request.
Participant

Postby » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:07 am

Hey Folks,

To update this, I really think people should upgrade to KIC-ED 2.0 instead of this. One, it is supported going forward, and two, it has a fairly decent user interface and some newer features that are pretty sweet.

That version will allow for document separation for the different form types in a batch class, but each destination can only contain one batch class. Also, each email address can only match to one destination. So you can, indeed, get a batch class with multiple form types to be handled correctly by an email address but if you have different batch classes you'll need to set up different email addresses. You also need to make sure your separation is adequate. Usually people sending you emails are not going to include separator sheets on top of their documents, so you need to make sure the forms have a barcode or some reliable value on them that can be used for separation and/or form identification. If you have KC10 you might have better luck because the ability to use regular expressions in separator zones and form id zones is included. Personally I have been very happy with that feature.

Also, YES if you want to convert using MS Office you must have Office installed or it will not work. That question could be answered more thoroughly by consulting the installation instructions included with the software and available on the Kofax website.

- Matt
Participant

Next

Return to Kofax Capture Import Connector