HA questions

Ascent Capture Internet Server

HA questions

Postby cw823 » Thu May 28, 2009 9:24 am

Okay.

Server A was our ascent capture server, running recognition and RSA. AC 7.5
Server B was our ACIS server, running release service to AX. AC 7.5

Our new setup is:
Server C and D are a clustered ascent capture server, both running recognition adn RSA. AC 7.5 SP5. This is working exceptionally wel.
Server E is our new ACIS server, running release service to AX. AC 7.5 SP5. This is also working well. It is also our AC Enterprise license server.

My next step is to bring Server B back into the fold as a secondary ACIS server for redundancy. It is our plan to use CISCO load balancing (via virtual IP) to have both servers share the load, with some HA should one of the servers be offline.

I don't know exacly how to do that last step, bringing server B back into the setup to load balance ACIS with Server E. Both are essentially setup as ACIS servers already, but both are also central sites. I was thinking perhaps I needed to make server B a remote site? I have tons of thoughts, I just need some verification.

Thoughts?
"If things were different, they wouldn't be the same"
cw823
Participant

Re: HA questions

Postby rpapa » Fri May 29, 2009 5:57 am

is HA hardware accelarator?

I don't think you'd want to SERVER B a remote site.

Kofax 8 has an option to have multiple central site, though I haven't tried it and someone else had a question about it.
rpapa
Participant

Postby cw823 » Fri May 29, 2009 6:10 am

rpapa wrote:is HA hardware accelarator?

I don't think you'd want to SERVER B a remote site.

Kofax 8 has an option to have multiple central site, though I haven't tried it and someone else had a question about it.

Sorry, by "HA" I meant High Availability

We have a site director that believe's in moore's law where if some's good, more's better, so he wants two ACIS servers in case one craps out. So essentially I'll still have two ACIS servers, and point the batches (at the central site - server E) to use the IP address created for the CISCO load balancing to utilize both servers B and E
cw823
Participant

Postby rpapa » Fri May 29, 2009 7:21 am

since you have an enterprise license (which I think is needed for Ascent's HA), then you can configure it that way. Though the back up will only run when the primary server goes down. Do a search on high availability or clustering.

You can configure server B to be just ACIS (no base ascent installed) so it can communicate with your remote sites then it will communicate with your central site (server E). Though if server E goes down, that's it.
rpapa
Participant

Postby cw823 » Fri May 29, 2009 8:09 am

rpapa wrote:You can configure server B to be just ACIS (no base ascent installed) so it can communicate with your remote sites then it will communicate with your central site (server E). Though if server E goes down, that's it.

Therein lies the problem, I'm told we need a redundant server if server E goes down. Does it have to make sense? No.

Going to look into some of the setup instructions for multiple central sites, but still think what I'm doing may not be perfectly possible
cw823
Participant

Postby rpapa » Fri May 29, 2009 9:38 am

why don't you setup clustering on server E & B just like you have on C & D?

that way if E goes down, B takes over.

You might need to separate ACIS from your central site (a separate server or server, to handle just the acis stuff), then cluster that too.

have you looked at:
viewtopic.php?f=65&t=1938&hilit=high+availability
rpapa
Participant

Postby cw823 » Fri May 29, 2009 9:51 am

rpapa wrote:why don't you setup clustering on server E & B just like you have on C & D?

that way if E goes down, B takes over.

You might need to separate ACIS from your central site (a separate server or server, to handle just the acis stuff), then cluster that too.

have you looked at:
viewtopic.php?f=65&t=1938&hilit=high+availability

The honest answer, is money. So I'm forced to go with what I've got. Clustering would certainly be ideal, though like you said we'd essentially need another cluster for ACIS, so it just snowballs from there.

Yeah, I've been reading and rereading that, and the admin/install guide.

Other than clustering, if the central site goes down I'm screwed; as long as I know that, I'm ok with that. So what then.

I guess my option is to attempt to load balance the ACIS server. Been looking at the file cache locations, I technically wouldn't need two as server B and E could share the same folder, since they are both on the opposite end of the wan from my clustered remote site. So then it's just the acis piece, somehow having B and E both be capable of using ACIS to pull the batches across the WAN, then both B and E could release into AX.

My God, it's Friday and I'm doing some serious thinking - something is wrong here.

Appreciate your help and fast response.
cw823
Participant

Postby rpapa » Fri May 29, 2009 10:12 am

you can install ACIS on B and the central site will still be E.

But if E goes down, then you can't release.
rpapa
Participant

Postby cw823 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:44 am

SO server B would be a remote site with ACIS? And then server E is still the only one that can run release? We have the CISCO load balancing setup but it's just an IP address configured for port 80, so up against a wall trying to figure out how to install. Right now absolutely nothing is installed on server B; I want to make sure I do it correctly, and I only want to do it once.

;)
cw823
Participant

Postby cw823 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:09 am

rpapa wrote:since you have an enterprise license (which I think is needed for Ascent's HA), then you can configure it that way. Though the back up will only run when the primary server goes down. Do a search on high availability or clustering.

You can configure server B to be just ACIS (no base ascent installed) so it can communicate with your remote sites then it will communicate with your central site (server E). Though if server E goes down, that's it.

Since ACIS requires an existing AC service (before installation), how would I do the setup so it can communicate with remote sites & central site as you posted?
cw823
Participant

Postby rpapa » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:44 am

I haven't done it, but others have said it's possible.

see:
http://kofax.com/support/ascent/capture ... lation.pdf

on pg. 96

it says to run: \\ascent share\bin\aciscfg.exe to enable the ACI service
rpapa
Participant

Postby cw823 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:25 am

rpapa wrote:I haven't done it, but others have said it's possible.

see:
http://kofax.com/support/ascent/capture ... lation.pdf

on pg. 96

it says to run: \\ascent share\bin\aciscfg.exe to enable the ACI service

That's enabling the service. I think I can do that part, I'm struggling with what type of install to start with.

When you try to install ACIS via IIS from the CD it will refuse to install unless there is a pre-existing ACI Service. So I do a server install, but then, is it a remote site? If so, then I can't run release. Or just a workstation perhaps? If I could run ACIS and release on a workstation install I would, but from what I've seen in searches here that's a no go.

The virtual IP is just that, and no more. I can't change the web server url as there's not a acis share attached to that virtual IP, it JUST provides redundance for the ACIS web server. Seems pointless to me as we have one remote site (MS cluster) and around 10 scanning workstation installs.

But 2 is better than 1, or so I'm told.
cw823
Participant

Postby rpapa » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:57 am

if you just want the webserver piece, then you need to run

\\ascent share\bin\aciscfg.exe. that I think installs the ACI service that you need so that you can install ACIS.

if you want to release to a remote site, you'll have to run a WFA, though it is not support in AC 7.5
rpapa
Participant

Postby cw823 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:50 am

I'm revisiting this. I may be able to get access to another server, so..... let's call that new server F

I would take B and F and cluster them together, making them the new central site. Now I have a HA cluster here that uses RSA to sync to our central site, but I have not found documentation on using MS clustering for the central site. Our current HA cluster locally uses a server install on the primary node and then a workstation install on the secondary, and both servers run rsa and recognition. But how do I do that for the central site? Are there any instructions specific to a highly-available central site?

Rembering as well that our current HA cluster is here, our ACIS/central site would be at a data center in another state.
cw823
Participant

Postby KCDeveloper » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:00 am

cw823 wrote:I'm revisiting this. I may be able to get access to another server, so..... let's call that new server F

I would take B and F and cluster them together, making them the new central site. Now I have a HA cluster here that uses RSA to sync to our central site, but I have not found documentation on using MS clustering for the central site. Our current HA cluster locally uses a server install on the primary node and then a workstation install on the secondary, and both servers run rsa and recognition. But how do I do that for the central site? Are there any instructions specific to a highly-available central site?

Rembering as well that our current HA cluster is here, our ACIS/central site would be at a data center in another state.

I'm not sure I completely understand your current configuration or what you're trying to accomplish with your additional machine, but I'll give it a shot.

cw823 wrote:Okay.

Server A was our ascent capture server, running recognition and RSA. AC 7.5
Server B was our ACIS server, running release service to AX. AC 7.5

Our new setup is:
Server C and D are a clustered ascent capture server, both running recognition adn RSA. AC 7.5 SP5. This is working exceptionally wel.
Server E is our new ACIS server, running release service to AX. AC 7.5 SP5. This is also working well. It is also our AC Enterprise license server.

My next step is to bring Server B back into the fold as a secondary ACIS server for redundancy. It is our plan to use CISCO load balancing (via virtual IP) to have both servers share the load, with some HA should one of the servers be offline.

I don't know exacly how to do that last step, bringing server B back into the setup to load balance ACIS with Server E. Both are essentially setup as ACIS servers already, but both are also central sites. I was thinking perhaps I needed to make server B a remote site? I have tons of thoughts, I just need some verification.

Thoughts?

You should be able to install B and F as web servers hosting ACI Server web components without having to install AC 7.5 on those machines. At some point during installation it should ask you where you currently have components installed if they are not installed locally and you should be able to point the installer towards where those components are installed. That machine (or one of its other workstations) needs to have configured its ACI Service prior to you running the IIS web server installation. Just remember that AC 7.5 remote sites can only access a single URL, but it seems like you have covered by your virtual IP. (By the way, what type of installation is Server E? Server? Standalone?)

cw823 wrote:
rpapa wrote:You can configure server B to be just ACIS (no base ascent installed) so it can communicate with your remote sites then it will communicate with your central site (server E). Though if server E goes down, that's it.

Therein lies the problem, I'm told we need a redundant server if server E goes down. Does it have to make sense? No.

Going to look into some of the setup instructions for multiple central sites, but still think what I'm doing may not be perfectly possible

If I am understanding you correctly, you want two seperate AC Central Site installations where one is actively processing batches and the second its just sitting around waiting for the other one to go down. I don' believe this will work in AC 7.5 because remote sites cannot upload a batch from a batch class that was not defined by that central site. Your remote sites would have to delete any in-progress batches before they could continue uploading batches to your "central site" once your backup commenced operation. If you're only talking about the ACI Server components (IIS server) then I think your configuration may work.
KCDeveloper
Participant

Next

Return to Network Server General Discussion