How does the Remote Synchronisation Actually Works?

Ascent Capture Internet Server

How does the Remote Synchronisation Actually Works?

Postby » Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:14 am

We are about to deploy more remote sites in addition to 2 existing remote sites and have some concern about the effect it will have on remote synchronisation.

If we set the central site to poll:
Site 1 - 10 minutes, Site 2 - 5 minutes, Site 3 - 5 minutes

Assuming everything else - hard disk, db, network is peachy clean and good, how fast will the image be replicated for Site 1, Site 2, Site3

Does the replication take place all at once even though a synchronisation process is not completed with once of the sites eg
Site 1 is still on going, Site 2 and Site 3 has to wait?
Or is it even though Site 1 is on going, when the polling intervals of Site 2 and Site 3 is reached, all three sites will replicate their images to ACIS?

If Site 1 completes replication 20 minutes later when will Site 2 and Site 3 be replicated?
Finally when will Site 1 be replicated again?

If someone could help clarify, we need to set the users expectation correctly. The current expectation is images will arrive in the same amount of time as what we have set on the polling intervals!
If we get this wrong, it could lead us to a lot of problem with users!

Tks
Participant

Postby » Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:23 am

From what I understand the images will be uploaded to the central site at the polling interval. There is some overhead when uploading so the images don't arrive exact at the 10th minute for site 1.

You've also got to make sure that the Remote synch agent is running on the remote site.

I think it's the remote site that actually initiates the connection. The central site 'controls' how often it polls if that how you have it set.
Participant

Postby » Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:53 am

Speed greatly depends on the size of batches. A 1000 page batch will take some time whereas a 1 [age batch can go through in 4-5 seconds.
You did not mention which version you're using.
ACI Server in version 7 (maybe in version 6 also) queues the batches for insertion into the central DB (not for upload to the ACI Server, though, they start when they're scheduled to). The reason being if you have 200 sites and all start to send bathes at the same time, the central server will stand to a crawl, no matter how fast it is or how small the batches are (also Kofax suggests having a separate ACI server for each 50 sites, and to move to MS SQL with larger systems, but YMMV).
Also the start of the upload does not seem to be precise to the second. Take this example: batch upload interval is set to 10 minutes and previous synchronization was at 15:33:26. You would expect the next synchronization to start at 15:43:26, give or take a few seconds. However, it seems to start randomly within the minute. Sometimes at the beginning of the minute, sometimes at the last second. There might be a randomization built in to more evenly distribute central web server load, but this is just my guess.

So this is how it goes (more or less) in 7.5:
1. RSA initiates batch upload at remote site at regular intervals (if there's anything to upload),
2. Batch contents (images, index data, statistics) are uploaded to the ACI server's temporary directory and new batch class definitions (if any) are downloaded,
3. Batch is queued for insertion into the central AC database by the ACI Server,
4. Batch is inserted into the central AC database,
5. Batch is deleted from the ACI server's temporary directory (I am not sure if this step happens here or after the batch is released),
6. ACI server sets the status of the batch as "Inserted"
7. RSA checks for batch status at regular intervals (usually more frequently than the polling time),
8. If batch has "Inserted" status, then it is removed from the remote site's Batch Manager,
9. If "Retain images at each remote site" is not checked in the Batch Routing configuration (Admin module) then the batch is completely deleted from remote site.

Back to your questions:
Does the replication take place all at once even though a synchronization process is not completed with once of the sites eg. Site 1 is still on going, Site 2 and Site 3 has to wait?
Upload will take place at once, so one site will not wait for the other to complete. Batch insertion will be queued, but depending on batch sizes it might not be noticeable. Add a couple of minutes when communicating to the user's, to be on the safe side, if you have batches with lot of pages (more than 300) and/or lot of index data.

Or is it even though Site 1 is on going, when the polling intervals of Site 2 and Site 3 is reached, all three sites will replicate their images to ACIS?
Exactly.

If Site 1 completes replication 20 minutes later when will Site 2 and Site 3 be replicated?
Even if site 1 takes 6 hours to complete upload, other sites will start when they are scheduled to.

Finally when will Site 1 be replicated again?
Replication is not a good term, because only batch data is uploaded not the entire site. Batch upload will start every 10 minutes unless there's no batch available or the RSA is currently uploading.
Best Regards,

Daniel Kekesi
DocSoft Hungary
Participant

Postby » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:17 am

Cool....Tks Daniel, Raymond...Now we have better understanding of how remote synchronisation works in AC. We are using AC 7 at the moment and have plans to propose for upgrade to AC7.5
Participant

Postby » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:17 am

Good reply...:))
Participant

Postby » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:41 pm

And what about files belonging to the Service Packs installers? How can I make it so that ACIS won't transfer those big 15MB files each time to each remote site?

Thanks
Participant

Postby » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:03 pm

what version and SP are you on?

one trick I learned is to create a zero byte file :)
Participant

Postby » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:04 pm

rpapa wrote:what version and SP are you on?

one trick I learned is to create a zero byte file :)

We're on SP5. I just saw that on the KB right after I wrote this. I'll try...

Thanks
Participant

Zero byte files will circumvent RSA updates.

Postby » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:51 pm

But that isn't the way to go. It's important to carefully review each service pack, especially with regard to ACIS. Zero byte files were introduced to solve a specific download problem with AC 7.5 service pack 3. Kofax was very good about preventing this in later service pack versions. IMHO, if the Central Site needs to be updated, each and every Remote Site should be also.

My two pennies...
I'm just sayin' ...
Participant

Re: Zero byte files will circumvent RSA updates.

Postby » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:04 am

jamesh@opentext.com wrote:But that isn't the way to go. It's important to carefully review each service pack, especially with regard to ACIS. Zero byte files were introduced to solve a specific download problem with AC 7.5 service pack 3. Kofax was very good about preventing this in later service pack versions. IMHO, if the Central Site needs to be updated, each and every Remote Site should be also.

My two pennies...

Ok....but once the remote sites have been updated with SP5, how do I prevent the "exe" file to be downloaded again each time?
Participant

Postby » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:55 pm

As I recall, Remote Sync looks at the date/time stamp on the EXE. If the remote matches the central, it won't download it.
Participant

Re: How does the Remote Synchronisation Actually Works?

Postby » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:12 pm

Can you tell me in case of a KC8 and ktm4 project where the files are synchronised too on the remote site.
Exactly what path location? :?:
Participant

Return to Network Server General Discussion