remote sites per webserver?

Ascent Capture Internet Server

remote sites per webserver?

Postby » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:35 am

how many remote sites can I have per web server?

A customer has 1 central site (also the webserver). When releasing batches to documentum, CPU is 100%.
Participant

Re: remote sites per webserver?

Postby » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:23 pm

The suggestions is in the documentation. 50 IIRC. Sounds like you need to set up another unit for release.
Russell
Participant

Postby » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:08 am

That depends on the traffic, not the number of sites. We have a customer with 75 remote sites, plus the central site servers 6 stations. A single 5 year old 2 core server handles everything but OCR, meaning file/sql/web services and release. No hiccups ever. I'd take a closer look at the release script with task manager. Maybe that's the culprit and not the web server. In that case I'd move the release to another machine or move the whole server to a new hardware with more CPU cores. Release is not multi-threaded so one instance of it can max out only one CPU core.
Best Regards,

Daniel Kekesi
DocSoft Hungary
Participant

Postby » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:17 am

I don't think there's any I can do with the Document APIs.

if it was a multicore, would that help? the release uses one core, then if if that is pegged, then the other CPUs are available for other processes like synching remote sites.

It's currently on a VM, so I can ask if they can add another core when we upgrade to KC9.
Participant

Postby » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:36 am

If it's release that maxes out your CPU then multi-core would definitely help.
We have a couple of customers who use the following setup: 4 CPU cores in one server. I core is running Recognition Server, the other is running PDF Generator (with image+text enabled so that does OCR as well), the third is running Release, the 4th is handling the rest (SQL, disk I/O overhead, etc.). When the server is really going I can see that CPU utilization is about 90% (never touching 100%), 25% used by Recognition Server, 25% used by PDF Generator and 25% used by Release (I know it's a lot, but hey, that's how it works). The rest of the computing capacity is just divided by the other processes.
Since no standard Kofax modules are really multi-threaded (only parts of KTM and VRS) this is a good way to control CPU consumption. The number of CPU-intensive services running should be CPU core count minus 1. I'd personally would not think about putting Kofax onto a single core machine. Not even a standalone installation
You can add more CPUs before the upgrade as well if you're on VMWare. It should not interfere with Kofax at all.
Best Regards,

Daniel Kekesi
DocSoft Hungary
Participant

Return to Network Server General Discussion