SQL Named Instance Issues

Ascent Capture Internet Server

SQL Named Instance Issues

Postby etcook » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:50 pm

I had to install a separate instance of SQL Server 2008 onto my server because SQL 2012 is not supported by Kofax (it uses deprecated stored procedures).

Of course, local installation wasn't an issue and the connection to the database was made, however, the Workstation seems to have problems connecting to the server with just the named instance. (server-01\MSSQLSERVER2008) - after a few hours of banging my head against the wall, thinking it might be a permissions issue, I finally got it to connect by using the port itself server-01,58146.

I'd rather keep the named instance method for connecting to the server, just in case ports change later.

Anyone have an idea what the problem might have been?
etcook
Participant

Re: SQL Named Instance Issues

Postby etcook » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:14 pm

I think I solved it. To anyone else having this issue later, here are a few pointers:

1) To acccess a remote named instance, you must have the SQL browser service turned on. This is disabled by default.
2) Make sure you have remote access enabled through the proper channels. This is done with the MS SQL configuration utility. Make sure you restart your service afterwards.
3) Make sure your firewall rules are properly setup. Instead of using ports, I tend to attach the rules to the processes directly.

If anyone needs more explanation, please don't hesitate to post and I'll explain further. No need for you to suffer through the same hours of frustration as I tried to identify what's wrong.

It doesn't help that Kofax takes minutes at a time to respond with an error when you can't connect. It makes the whole troubleshooting process quite a protracted one.
etcook
Participant

Return to Network Server General Discussion