Form display/re-scale of form content

Form display/re-scale of form content

Postby » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:51 am

Hello!
Xtrata 1.7 SP1, AC 7.0 SP3 (client/server site).

I have a very minor issue/question at hand.

1. Desktop app. form (GUI) display.
I wonder about the circumstances in which the Xtrata Server GUI form (the server running as desktop app.) doesn't seem to rescale the display of the app. form and its contents.

We just got reports on the form only showing a width covering the Current Batch Information and the Current Document Information frames, the Current Batch Progress and Current Document Confidence is more or less outside the form.

Restarting the Xtrata does nothing to this problem.

The display setting would be 1024*760, but we have tried a few others with no success. I tested to change the advanced monitor dpi from the current Large (120 dpi) to normal (96 dpi) and this seem to help Xtrata form scaling. To change this specific setting requires a reboot.
It seems the pc owner had some reason for having that Large dpi setting to begin with, so it may help if there are some other fix for the problem.

To be clear: I am well aware of the show/hide thingie showing and hiding the current document display, but on this PC with the preferred user settings for the display, you are not coming close to see even that thingie.
As far as I know, we haven't got any similar problem with other AC apps going on this PC.

Any comments/suggestions?
David
If you make it idiot-proof, someone will make a better idiot.
Participant

Postby » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:55 am

Run Xtrata as a service :)

I cannot see the benefit of having a user sitting and watching an unattended process...
Best Regards,<BR>
Stephan Mayer
Presales Manager EMEA
Kofax Image Products
Participant

Postby » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:22 am

stephan_mayer@kofax.com wrote:Run Xtrata as a service :)

I cannot see the benefit of having a user sitting and watching an unattended process...

My experience is that it can be good idea to run the un-attended modules as desktop apps in the very beginning of production start to let new operators and/or administrators get a very simple but still informative view of what is happening during the different process runs. It has some pedagogic value, it directly shows that things happens and at what pace.

But sure, I would be glad to use it as a service in ongoing production.
We have run AC modules as services in production for a long time. Xtrata has been something relatively new to us and something that has ... felt ... not 100% AC.

We have started to use Xtrata SP1 very recently. Before SP1 I followed the thread about Xtrata as a service in this forum and also had some dialogues at other places. For various reasons we didn't find an alternative that fit us. Technical reasons and others.
For example, for various reasons we are reluctant to use solutions or supporting solutions not fully and formally supported by Kofax and our local partners.
We are rather restrictive with shareware or freeware in general, so options from this side are not first choice.

Unfortunately, we do not use Windows 2003 on this server so a Microsoft service option mentioned on that platform was never an option for us.

So, we waited for Kofax to come up with something themselves... and ta-da SP1 appeared.

I did some tests myself with the XtrataServiceInstaller.exe when SP1 had been around a while but had some question marks that need to be looked into more. Both questions marks on the XtrataServiceInstaller and on the service created.

I need to look further on how many service instances of Xtrata is optimal for us. The number recommended in XtrataServiceInstaller or something else... Need to make more runs with the XtrataServiceInstaller to study how it behaves.

We experience that Xtrata get some kind of .NET error each morning.
Perhaps becuase of new routines for our daily backup on the server side... but I haven't got time yet to initiate a real investigation. I have never seen this problem on our other unattended modules (recognition and release), only on Xtrata.
Setting automatic service restart options for the Xtrata service did not work around the situation, but I will look into these options more anyway...
I also want to check the login/permission set up once more for several reasons. As I understand it, the Xtrata Service does not support User Profiles. Probably not a big deal, but I need to look into that.

It seems that an operator may bomb the Xtrata service by manually starting the Xtrata server desktop app. I do not yet know the significance on this.

The bottom line is that until we have must do some more homework around the workings of XtrataServiceInstaller and the service requirements we run it as a desktop.

The issue with the form rescaling is, as I wrote, a very minor one.
/Davido
If you make it idiot-proof, someone will make a better idiot.
Participant

Postby » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:59 pm

One thing of note is that Xtrata uses the OCR engines. As such, I wouldn't run it on the same station that has Recognition, Full Text OCR or even PDF processing running on them. They *should* share, but I've seen strangeness that at this point I think is share issue.
Participant

Postby » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:14 am

russell@centuryc.com wrote:One thing of note is that Xtrata uses the OCR engines. As such, I wouldn't run it on the same station that has Recognition, Full Text OCR or even PDF processing running on them. They *should* share, but I've seen strangeness that at this point I think is share issue.
Aha. I dind't think of that. Will see if we can make further test with Xtrata on a separated machine (not running another AC module).
Participant

Postby » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:33 pm

As far as I know there's no problems with things like Scanning, Validation, Verification, Release, etc. It's just that you don't want two modules that use OCR to run at the same time. Even if the share doesn't' cause problems, it will cause a performance issues as they'll have to take turns with the OCR engine.
Participant

Postby » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:30 am

russell@centuryc.com wrote:As far as I know there's no problems with things like Scanning, Validation, Verification, Release, etc. It's just that you don't want two modules that use OCR to run at the same time. Even if the share doesn't' cause problems, it will cause a performance issues as they'll have to take turns with the OCR engine.

Yes I understand. I was mainly thinking of Recognition server. And perhaps the Administration program.
Normally we do not run desktop programs on the machines running the services.

Still, I thought that the Xtrata 1.7 should have the same OCR engine as AC.
With Xtrata 1.7 we got the Finereader Version 6.0.0.770, at least that is what the release note says the installations does.
Xtrata 1.5 was a different matter, or so I believe from what I have read (haven't examined dll's or looked into it in practical terms).
Participant

Postby » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:13 pm

Finereader as in AABBY? I think that's what the PDF process uses. All I know is that at times Xtrata acts weird and when I check into it, it appears the operators have been running Xtrata and PDF on the same machine at the same time. I just send it though Xtrata again and all is well.

I haven't pressed for a solution beyond reporting it since it's I don't think it's that easy to reproduce the error on demand.
Participant

Return to Ascent Xtrata General Discussion