Suggestion :- A Tutorial or Step by Step Guide for Xtrata

Suggestion :- A Tutorial or Step by Step Guide for Xtrata

Postby bisana » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:22 am

Hi
I did try Xtrata for some requirement . Based on my experience I would like to suggest that a Tutorial or How to do (Step by Step ) document on Xtrata would have helped me to great extend .
Even though there is documentation “Getting Started with
Ascent Xtrata 1.7â€
bisana
Participant

Postby simon.matter@kofax.com » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:38 am

Hey Joe,

To be honest: The Getting started guide already covers everything Xtrata has to offer.....

Cheers,

Simon
simon.matter@kofax.com
Participant

Postby russell@centuryc.com » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:42 pm

What's really needed is a tutorial so you have something that can step you though the setup of a sample application. The sales Engineer stepped me though the first one. It would have been rough going if I had only the manual to learn from.
russell@centuryc.com
Participant

Postby David » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:07 pm

Agreed. A tutorial and a manual could be two different things entirely.
A risk with a tutorial could be that a lot of things are left out and the reader make things too simple and even skip the manual.
The benefit is that you get a structured overview and walkthrough. This will probably help a lot of people getting more use of the (reference) manual later.

In my experience manuals in general is not directed by teachers, tutorials are.

The Xtrata manual mentioned is pretty big and may easily overwhelm you (put all AC related manuals in one pile and you get a pretty big pile). A ‘Getting started’ in 138 pages on a single module is pretty hefty.

I could agree with Simon that this extensive manual covers a lot about what Xtrata has to offer, but that is not the goal with a tutorial is it.
I guess a decent step-by-step sample tutorial could be in like 10 pages.

As a matter of fact, I have seen a need for my people to get a special Xtrata training. The existing AC training having insufficient time to cover Xtrata deeply enough.
A good tutorial could be a help in an internal training program. Some experienced AC administrators has big holes in their skills on Xtrata.

I have been at external training classes on another OCR product and the tech guy appointed as teacher was actaully reading aloud from the manual during the whole training. This was a very bad training.
/David
If you make it idiot-proof, someone will make a better idiot.
David
Participant

Postby bisana » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:11 pm

Hi All
Reading manual and setting Xtrata I faced a lot of problems. I would like to admit that I am not into full time document management . I was novice and was learning the steps to walk. I could have saved some crucial hours If I could have got hold of a tutorial which talks / instruct the reader what to do by taking a sample case.
I agree with Simon that xtrata manual is good . But reading manual and doing things will have its own problem epically to new comers like me .
Hope Kofax brings out a tutorial for Xtrata soon .
Thanks
Joseph John
bisana
Participant

Postby LCoates » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:30 am

Is this in the works. Will a newbie tutorial come now that Kofax 8 is here?
LCoates
Participant

Postby David » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:11 pm

See also: viewtopic.php?t=313&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

I guess if someone had sufficient time, skill and distribution net, a tutorial could be written by someone else than Kofax and sold a 3rd party product. Like buying a pdf on the net?

But again, it seems reasonable that Kofax did things like this. To them it should be a minor matter and they have the distribution in place to start with.
If you make it idiot-proof, someone will make a better idiot.
David
Participant

Return to Ascent Xtrata General Discussion