Xtrata as a Service

Xtrata as a Service

Postby » Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:41 am

I've briefly looked in the Getting Started Guide, but can Xtrata Server be loaded and run as a Service? I have Recogintion, PDF Generatror, and Release running as Services, it would be nice to have Xtrata run as one too.

Any thoughts?
Participant

Postby » Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:57 pm

This is currently not supported, but already planned for a future release.
Best Regards,<BR>
Stephan Mayer
Presales Manager EMEA
Kofax Image Products
Participant

Postby » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:15 am

I was looking into capitalising on Xtrata's forms recognition capabilities.

Does this mean that a user (from Ascent workstation) has to manually kick off processing a batch that is waiting in Xtrata queue?

Is there any way the Xtrata module can be setup to start as a Windows task? We would like to run this module atomatically from Ascent server.

Which release of Ascent/Xtrata can we anticipate running Xtrata as sercive feature to be available?
Participant

Postby » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:27 pm

pkatiyar wrote:Does this mean that a user (from Ascent workstation) has to manually kick off processing a batch that is waiting in Xtrata queue?

No. Xtrata Server will automatically process batches waiting once it is running (like any other unattended module).

pkatiyar wrote:Is there any way the Xtrata module can be setup to start as a Windows task? We would like to run this module atomatically from Ascent server.

To imitate the process running as a service you can use Windows task scheduler. In control panel, select "Scheduled Tasks". Create a new task where you select "Xtrata Server" as the process to start, then "at start of computer" as the time when to execute and specify the user name and password to use.
Once you are finished, open the properties dialog for this new task, tab "Settings" and uncheck the "stop task after" option. If you run it on the AC server, you might also consider to delay the start for 1-2 minutes, to allow the machine to have started the MSSQL$AscentCapture service that all AC modules need to work. (Note: the name of all options are literally translated, as I have a German OS)

pkatiyar wrote:Which release of Ascent/Xtrata can we anticipate running Xtrata as sercive feature to be available?

It is currently planned for the next major release, Xtrata 2.0 - (but I don't have any dates for this). Anyway, I hope the workaround I described above will help you out meanwhile. Please let us know if it worked for you.
Best Regards,<BR>
Stephan Mayer
Presales Manager EMEA
Kofax Image Products
Participant

Postby » Thu May 11, 2006 2:13 am

Any update as to when this will be created to run as a service & supported by Kofax
Participant

Postby » Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:25 am

Hi all

We had the same problem to run Xtrata as a service. Finaly we used a 3rd party tool to solve this issue.
We installed firedaemon (http://www.firedaemon.com/) Wit this tool it is possible to create a "Xtrata Service" This Service runs on the recognition server unattended. No need to keep logged in, or something like that.
Participant

Postby » Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:29 am

While there are many tools that allow you to run EXEs as services, I thought you might be interested to know that there is also a freeware (source code included) that accomplishes this. Most other tools you need to pay for.

Check out http://sw4me.com/wiki/Winserv

I also heard positive feedback that this is working fine with Xtrata, but please beware that this is not officially supported.
Best Regards,<BR>
Stephan Mayer
Presales Manager EMEA
Kofax Image Products
Participant

Postby » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:30 am

Hi,

if you have W2003 server you can use a "standard" Microsoft feature that allows you to run any "normal" application as a service (SRVANY).

You only need to install "Windows 2003 resource kit" from microsoft site an follow the indications on the following microsoft article:
Article ID : 137890 (How To Create a User-Defined Service)

It works fine, and without any "external" application. I'm using it in several production systems.

Check it! :P

CPL
Participant

Return to Ascent Xtrata General Discussion