Recognition Server

Recognition Server

Postby MartinB » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:57 pm

Does something that goes through the Xtrata Server even have to go through the recognition server?
Martin Bidegaray
Production Manager
doc2e-file
Pasadena TX
MartinB
Participant

Postby russell@centuryc.com » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:07 pm

Depends. What are you doing in the recognition stage?
russell@centuryc.com
Participant

Postby MartinB » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:31 pm

Supposedly the Xtrata already registers the zonals correct? So does running it through recognition server, which tries to register the zonals, help? or hinder?
Martin Bidegaray
Production Manager
doc2e-file
Pasadena TX
MartinB
Participant

Postby russell@centuryc.com » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:46 pm

Yes, Xtrata will register the zones. But it won't read the content of the zones. You'll still need recognition if you're doing OCR, etc.
russell@centuryc.com
Participant

Postby David » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:13 pm

MartinB wrote:Supposedly the Xtrata already registers the zonals correct? So does running it through recognition server, which tries to register the zonals, help? or hinder?

Not 100% sure what zones you think of and if the first sentence is a question or a statement, but as far as I know, Registration Zones in AC may hinder if you make use of Xtrata. Better remove these zones in AC. A difference may not show until you run for some time...
I am not totally sure on this as we are still trying to learn Xtrata better ourselves. Never sure when one uses it optimally :evil:

As Rusell says, if you want to do OCR you need the Recognition server; I guess you could consider Xtrata as a preparation step for the Recognition server then. I haven't done OCR output with Xtrata only. Is it possible?
If you make it idiot-proof, someone will make a better idiot.
David
Participant

Postby russell@centuryc.com » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:04 pm

Think of Xtrata as a replacement for registration zones.
russell@centuryc.com
Participant

Postby MartinB » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:13 pm

So it just places the boxes where the recognition server reads the text. It'd be interesting to understand how in the HECK it works, because it recognizes some forms that I didn't think it would and doesn't recognize others that seem to be obvious.

Also, any time I try to use the XtrataDefiniton batch, everything gets super messed up.
Martin Bidegaray
Production Manager
doc2e-file
Pasadena TX
MartinB
Participant

Postby LCoates » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:16 am

I wondered the same question myself. I wish there was more documentation on Xtrata besides what's offered. There needs to be a tips and tricks tutorial. Also a step by step instruction manual that goes from beginning through the end in simple terms and printscreens.
LCoates
Participant

Postby russell@centuryc.com » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:03 pm

MartinB wrote:It'd be interesting to understand how in the HECK it works, because it recognizes some forms that I didn't think it would and doesn't recognize others that seem to be obvious.

So would I. The "model" for behavior that I've come up with is that it will scale, slide, and twist (skew) the sample page until it fits the page it's working on. In doing so, it can compensate for most common scanner (and printer) issues.

But give it a image that's been distorted just a bit, say perhaps a feed belt is going bad on a scanner so there's just a hint (and you really have to look to see it) of "fun house mirror" distortion (stretch) and it goes bonkers because a simple scaling can't match things up.

Likewise it can't recognize a form that looks the same to the human eye but is in fact from different form software. Tax forms is a good example of that. Everything is laid out in the same order in almost exactly the same place. But the government printed forms don't match the results of the different tax packages.
russell@centuryc.com
Participant

Return to Ascent Xtrata General Discussion