Empty Parent Batch

Empty Parent Batch

Postby » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:33 pm

Hi All

I've got Custom Module code to create a child batch and move documents into that batch if given parameters are met. The child batch will bypass certain modules. But what *accidentally* happened in unit testing was that all documents went into the child batch, leaving the parent batch empty. A batch with no documents processes quickly.
What should I do with the parent batch? Delete it? Move it to Export queue? (for any use?)

Or should I recognize that all documents are moving, and not move any of them? Then just treat the parent batch as the child? One "issue" here is that I make use of the batch renaming to put "_STP" on the end, so anyone looking at the batch manager knows what is going on, although that isn't a set-in-stone requirement. This is KC9 I'm still dealing with, so I just can't change the name through the API.

And I'm wondering about losing data like time in modules, time in modules per page, etc (I run a lot of queries of the Kofax database for monitoring).

Thoughts? Best practice?
Cheers
- Hayden
Participant

Re: Empty Parent Batch

Postby » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:57 am

What is the problem here? Does it cause problems if all docs are moved? The option you choose depends on the task at hand. Some of the options you provided are viable (like move the empty parent to export, not move any docs, move all docs and leave parent as is, etc).
Best Regards,

Daniel Kekesi
DocSoft Hungary
Participant

Postby » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:20 pm

Problem? Well, a batch with no documents isn't necessarily a problem, but it requires attention - you either manually delete it, or open an empty batch in KTM Validation (not sure if that causes an error), but it's messy.
Also, there are some strange things that seem to occur in the Kofax database for parent & child batches with regard to some of the processing statistics (times/pages/docs) - maybe that is also to do with the Kofax Professional Services custom-written modules also, but it looks like in some parts of the Kofax db, the child batch isn't recognised.

What I've done so far is to move the empty batch to the Export queue, and will let that deal with it, but if any release scripts give an error, I may need to either delete the parent batch, or not create the child in the first place.

Does anyone know the inner workings of KTM5.x in how this deals with moving all documents of the current batch to a child batch? Does it just rename the parent to any different name the child has? We currently have code in KTM Script that moves docs to child batches based on given criteria - sometimes that means all docs in the batch.
Participant

Postby » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:56 am

Hi Hayden,

First you said that you have a custom module to create child batches then you say you have this implemented in KTM. Which one do you use?
Also an empty batch moved to export will never produce export errors as no export scripts are run at all (they are not even initialized).
Best Regards,

Daniel Kekesi
DocSoft Hungary
Participant

Postby » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:06 pm

Hi Daniel
Which one? Both.
My Custom Module one is in development, doing slightly different things to the one that's in KTM. KTM was used because it could be used. But with the new custom module, I can call the web services and do some other work before KTM Server (saving page licenses), and it will do it faster & more efficiently.
We have multiple streams of work, so the KTM process to create child batches will continue to work with one stream (scanned), whilst the CM will work with another stream (emails). They are doing slightly different things, even tho both create child batches.

But none of that really counts for anything if an empty batch in export doesn't run any scripts. I may as well just delete the parent batch (I assume the child has no issue with being an orphan).
Cheers
- Hayden
Participant

Return to Custom Modules General Discussion