Custom module developement.

Custom module developement.

Postby ddavydov » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:50 am

I am trying to develop an application that will enable duplication of a document during or after Validation. It is necessary for cases when one image has more than one set of indexing values.
Can someone give me an idea what type of custom application should it be: WFA, panel, or module, and is it doable in queue other than scan and qc?
ddavydov
Participant

Re: Custom module developement.

Postby dkekesi » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:25 am

Hi,

What you need can be done in panel, WFA or custom module as well. It all depends on the specific task at hand.
As a rule of thumb a custom module is a good choice if:
* you need user interaction with the document that should be done by a different role from the role doing scan/QC/validation/verification
OR
* there's a lot of heavy processing involved on each (or most) documents in a batch that doesn't require user interaction or would otherwise slow down manual processing.This involves tasks like image processing, data look-up via slow interfaces, etc.

A panel is a good choice if you want to add functionality to standard interactive Kofax modules (scan/QC/validation/verification) AND the functionality has a place in that module AND user intervention is needed AND the function doesn't interfere with user experience (meaning it doesn't slow down the GUI or the process itself).

A WFA is a good choice if:
* you need to change the workflow depending on conditions in the batch (like number of documents, index field values in some or all of the documents, etc... anything you can imagine)
OR
* you need some processing at a certain point in the workflow which is not a slow process
OR
you want to make sure that the user doesn't do something stupid during processing (like changing batch status manually in Batch Manager).
WFA is running BETWEEN modules, so don't put any heavy processing into it, especially after interactive modules.

As you can see there are a lot of options and it really depends on the task, the workflow and the level of optimization needed. For instance we have a customer with many remote Kofax sites where only 2-5 single page documents are scanned and validated daily. Creating a Kofax standard interactive wokflow of Scan+Validation would be sub-optimal as users would have needed to scan the batch, close the batch, go to Validation, open the batch, validate the batch, close the batch. Instead we put a validation panel with all validation logic into the Scan module on select stations, thus the workflow has gotten a lot simpler: scan the batch, validate the batch, close the batch. That's it. But for other systems (or other sites in the example system, for that matter) where volumes were a lot higher (1000s or more documents each day) the workflow is the standard Kofax workflow using Scan and Validation modules.

There's no one-size-fits-all solution.

But to your case: at a first glance I'd put the functionality into a panel in Validation (provided you use Validation in your scanning process). Duplicating documents can take some time as it involves database and file operations if you have large (100+ pages) of documents, especially if scanned in grayscale or color. Smaller documents (1-10 pages) are usually created much faster.
Best Regards,

Daniel Kekesi
DocSoft Hungary
dkekesi
Participant

Postby DavidCrewe » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:35 am

Hi,

I have an existing component that does exactly this. http://www.davidcrewe.com/doccopy.html

There is a free evaluation download on my website. Feel free to give it a go, and if you have any questions, let me know.

Dave
David Crewe

Check out our set of custom add-ons for Kofax Capture - www.DavidCrewe.com/products.html
DavidCrewe
Participant

Postby ddavydov » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:21 pm

Daniel,
My application must duplicate documents when more than one set of indexing values entered.
For example:
We get a 1 page 1 sided document from our member with let’s say 3 pieces of information on it. For example, drivers license, social and passport. Currently the Scan operator makes 3 Xerox copies of this document and scans them. The indexer then indexes each copy accordingly (1 as license, other as social and the 3rd one as passport).
We are trying to see if we can eliminate the manual Xerox copy creation process. This means the Scan Operator will scan it only 1nce.

1. We will then create 3 copies of the document programmatically. Each copy can then be indexed by the indexer. OR
2. The indexer indexes the 1 copy with 3 values and we create 3 copies post indexing.

My problem is when I use Kofax.DBLiteOpt.Interhop I can only create an instance of an empty document and move pages. This removes pages from original document.

When I am trying to use AcsentCaptureModule that has appropriate method, it is not working in validation.
What II am doing wrong?
ddavydov
Participant

Postby bclaman » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:03 am

not sure what you are trying to do exactly but I would suggest never having users make copies and then scanning those. You will lose quality every time. Instead if you absolutely need the same document in multiple places, I would release it three times with three export scripts. - or scan the same physical piece of paper 3 times. It also sounds like you could get away with some database lookup/scripting in Validation as an option as well and then export once.
bclaman
Participant

Postby DavidCrewe » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:11 am

You will need to create documents in a workflow agent. You cannot do it directly in the validation module using the API.

The difficulty will be setting the workflow to know which document needs duplicating before going to validation, as batch level fields do not distinguish between individual documents.

I would suggest that the user enters a value in validation for a specific field - 'doc1value;doc2value;doc3value' etc. Then index the rest of the document and batch. A workflow agent then detects the multi-value field and creates copies.

The batch then goes through verification and the duplicate copies are indexed.

It may not be the prettiest solution but it should work.

http://www.davidcrewe.com/doccopy.html
David Crewe

Check out our set of custom add-ons for Kofax Capture - www.DavidCrewe.com/products.html
DavidCrewe
Participant

Postby ddavydov » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:18 am

The plan is to have a separator sheet that will display a set of document types and check marks that will be selected during batch preraration.
Then these types will be selected by OMR or, during validation, by operator. Selection of more tan one item must be a trigger for duplication.
Problem is that I can't find a method to do it in Validation or Verification modules. Can anyone recommend one?
ddavydov
Participant

Postby DavidCrewe » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:35 am

As I said previously, you cannot create the duplicates when you are in the Validation or Verification modules - the API does not allow it.

You need to set a flag during scan/recognition/validation/verification and then create the duplicates in a workflow agent or custom module.
David Crewe

DavidCrewe
Participant

Return to Custom Modules General Discussion