CMIS Compatible release script?

CMIS Compatible release script?

Postby shaund » Fri May 15, 2009 8:09 am

There seems to be alot of discussion in the CMS space around the opportunities that the new CMIS specification offers.

Does anyone know if there are any plans for a Kofax CMIS release script as it would potentially remove the need for the 101 flavours of release scripts that we have at the moment.

Just looking around at the moment there seem to be implementations for Sharepoint, Opentext, Documentum, Alfresco already..
shaund
Participant

Re: CMIS Compatible release script?

Postby fbullmer » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:17 pm

shaund wrote:There seems to be alot of discussion in the CMS space around the opportunities that the new CMIS specification offers.

Does anyone know if there are any plans for a Kofax CMIS release script as it would potentially remove the need for the 101 flavours of release scripts that we have at the moment.

Just looking around at the moment there seem to be implementations for Sharepoint, Opentext, Documentum, Alfresco already..

Bump.
fbullmer
Participant

Postby aadslingerland » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:39 am

shaund wrote: as it would potentially remove the need for the 101 flavours of release scripts that we have at the moment.

I "removed" most of the release scripts / export modules that communicate directly with the "receiving" application with a custom XML release module which produces one XML file for every Image file. Then it is up to the "receiving" application to import things. This loose coupling has benefits...
With Regards, Aad Slingerland
aadslingerland
Participant

Postby Hayden » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:47 pm

Couple of years later...
I noticed that a KCEC-CMIS v1.0 is available through the e-delivery portal as part of the KC10 download options. I looks like it has been available since March 2013.
I'm about to have a look at it to hook into our Alfresco CMS, but so far, I have to agree with Aad and admit that we use XML export too, mostly via an IBM MQ system, but that keeps the coupling fairly loose, and that seems to pay off. Except when MQ has an issue... but that has still meant that we didn't need to reprocess anything from Kofax - the messages were just replayed in MQ.

I was told about CMIS yesterday, so am just starting to investigate, and it will be interesting to see how this export connector is implemented.
Cheers
- Hayden
Hayden
Participant

Postby dkekesi » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:21 am

Hayden wrote:Except when MQ has an issue... but that has still meant that we didn't need to reprocess anything from Kofax - the messages were just replayed in MQ.
I was told about CMIS yesterday, so am just starting to investigate, and it will be interesting to see how this export connector is implemented.

Loose coupling has the advantage that Kofax users will not come "whining" to Kofax admins when a batch lands in QC after export with some weird error message from the back-end that the cannot interpret.
BUT it also has the disadvantage that the system may loose real-time feedback on whether the document is already in the back-en or not. Users seem to like the fact that once the batch disappeared from Kofax they can search for the documents in the back end. Lose coupling also adds an additional layer that needs to be implemented, maintained, looked after by someone. Of course, if MQ or a SOA backplane is already in place, then this is a non-issue.
Best Regards,

Daniel Kekesi
DocSoft Hungary
dkekesi
Participant

Postby Sarma.Kofax » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:04 pm

We did a similar kind of loose coupling in one of my previous projects. That's a very high traffic application with 1000s of incoming documents/images/faxes per hour.

What we did is, use KIC to create batches, have 2 basic export connectors for each batch class (one text and one DB) and release images to a shared network folder and populate a custom DB with all the metadata. That's all from Kofax's point of view.

There is a custom built ingestion program that pings this custom DB and distributes the images/metadata to multiple target systems. This way, we avoided having different kofax release scripts talking to different target systems and the system flow is much in our control. This is also an upgrade safe mechanism. Even if Kofax makes some changes to release scripts, we have very low level of testing and UAT.

-Sarma.

Kofax & Documentum Administrator
Matson Navigation, Phoenix, USA
http://linkedin.com/in/sarmapasumarthi

Sarma.Kofax
Participant

Return to Release Scripts General Discussion