I broke the release :( - new MySQL database

I broke the release :( - new MySQL database

Postby » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:17 am

We recently changed our database for our Jury Management System from a MySQL database on a Linux box to a MySQL database on a Windows box. We did a lot of testing to make sure everything would work correctly but forgot about the questionnaire scanning that uses the Ascent software.

Yesterday I updated the ODBC connection on the server, tested it and then went back to the Scan Station and released a batch. Then I realized that I had not changed the ODBC connection on the Scan Station. So I updated the Scan Station with the new ip address, username and password and tested. Unfortunately the batch I tried to release was completely stuck. I couldn't delete it or stop it.
I created a new batch now that both the server and scan station had the correct MySQL ODBC connection thinking maybe it would poke the server into doing something with the batch from yesterday. It didn't. I ended up using the DBUtil to find the name of the database of the batch from yesterday and deleting it. Now my batch from today is 'In Progress' but again appears to be stuck.

So, other than updating the IP address, username and password of the ODBC connection that the server and scan station release to, what other steps do I need to perform so that the release will work correctly?
Thanks for any guidance!

Leslie Andrews
Participant

Re: I broke the release :( - new MySQL database

Postby » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:15 pm

You might try rebooting all machines in question. You may have a problem where the database setup isn't to Capture's liking. I'm not sure what to suggest other then break it down into pieces and test each part.
Russell
Participant

Postby » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:57 pm

So I rebooted all the machines and that didn't seem to help.

Here's a piece of new information though...I created a new batch and it made it through the recognition and validation servers. It did not release automatically (which may be because there is another stuck batch but that is beside the point) so I right clicked, selected Process and it brought up the manual release where I had to sign into the database. It had the new IP address but the OLD username and password. So I put in the correct username and password and was able to release to the new database! HOORAY...but I really don't want to have to manually release every time.

So, how do I update the username and password the Release module is using?
It is NOT using the one configured in the ODBC, I have confirmed that the ODBC MySQL connection has the correct user name and password and the connection test works.

Thanks!
Leslie
Participant

Postby » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:41 pm

The information is in the Release Script setup. Once you change that and re-publish, you'll be good for new batches.

If you have KC9 or KC10, you can right click and "update' a batch that's not in progress to update the login.
Russell
Participant

Postby » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:24 pm

Ok I found that and republished but now the Recognition server isn't reading my bar code anymore. Once I manually enter the data I will see if the release will populate my database.

Additionally another process we use Kofax/Ascent for now doesn't release automatically anymore...and I don't think I changed anything that should have affected any other processes....

thanks,
leslie
Participant

Postby » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:32 pm

It's possible that the job got messed up, but it didn't affect things until you re-published it.

I've booby-trapped myself that way.
Russell
Participant

Postby » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:21 pm

Ok, just want to say how frustrating this is!!!!!

I have not been able to get the recognition server to read my bar codes.
I have not been able to get the release server to release automatically the things I did not change.
I don't know what I could have done that would have F'ED this up so much just trying to change a freakin database!!!!

It was hard enough to get this working the first time and I'm ready to shoot the Ascent Server now!!

Any suggestions on where to look and what to change to fix the automatic release? Where to look to see why my recognition server stopped working?

Thanks....
Leslie
Participant

Postby » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:37 am

For the recognition, you'll need to dig into the settings. There's a couple ways you can booby-trap yourself.

If after you originally published that batch you (or someone else) worked to create a new batch and re-used the profile, but modified it... That would have messed you over when you re-published. Because the changes you made for the other batch are now being applied to this batch.
Russell
Participant

Postby » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:06 am

So I am the only one that would be working on any administrator/server actions. Anyone else would just be using the batch manager at a scan station to create batches from documents that already exist.

I will keep trying and hope that I don't mess anything else up...

Thanks
Participant

Postby » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:38 am

Ok I created a brand new form type and restarted all the services.

Now the recognition server reads the bar codes and the release is automatic again.

Who knows how or why, but I really don't care as long as it's working!

Thanks for your help!

Leslie
Participant

Return to Release Scripts General Discussion