Export to Excel (.xls) file?

Export to Excel (.xls) file?

Postby sanderson82 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:26 am

We have a customer who currently receives PDF documents and they manually key the data into an excel spreadsheet (spreadsheet has been laid out in a particular format).

Prob worth saying that 1 PDF = 1 excel document, so export connector would need to create a new excel doc each time and not export to the same file.

Is their an export connecter that would allow not only exporting to excel, but mapping kofax fields to cells within the spreadsheet eg customer name = C5 address1 = C6 etc

Regards

Steven
sanderson82
Participant

Re: Export to Excel (.xls) file?

Postby russell@centuryc.com » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:12 am

What you can do is export to a text file using the CSV extention. On most machines, the CSV defaults to Excel.
Russell
russell@centuryc.com
Participant

Postby sanderson82 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:39 am

russell@centuryc.com wrote:What you can do is export to a text file using the CSV extention. On most machines, the CSV defaults to Excel.

Thanks Russel

I'm guessing any "formatting" would have to be done post export?

Is there are way of specifying the cell that the data would export to? anything that would speed up any manual formatting that would need to be done?

I have seen excel spreadsheets generated by .asp files calling Response.ContentType = "application/vnd.ms-excel", would this be possible with the text export connector? Populating X fields in the asp file which would then use HTML to look after the format? Users could then view this in IE and save as an Excel doc local to their machine....i think!!

If you haven't guessed already, I haven't done much with the text connector before :-)

Many thanks

Steven
sanderson82
Participant

Postby russell@centuryc.com » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:29 pm

sanderson82 wrote:I'm guessing any "formatting" would have to be done post export?

Correct.

sanderson82 wrote:Is there are way of specifying the cell that the data would export to? anything that would speed up any manual formatting that would need to be done?

None that I know of.

sanderson82 wrote:I have seen excel spreadsheets generated by .asp files calling Response.ContentType = "application/vnd.ms-excel", would this be possible with the text export connector?

Not out of the box. But the source code is provided, so there's nothing preventing you from writing one.
Russell
russell@centuryc.com
Participant

Postby David » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:29 pm

Going via a text file with CSV extension is a good idea.

You can always use some simple Excel macro within Excel to re-arrange and re-format cells and data. You could even add a button of your own in Excel, connecting some macro that make the file import and then re-arrange everything in one single step.
Or use an Open event or such in Excel to trigger the code when the file is opened. You need to think some on where to store and use the macros and how to manage them in the long run.

Writing directly to an Excel file is possible but may have several downsides in a given user case. Historically, Excel have never felt like a good multi user data storage (try leave the Excel file open at one user and then write to it from another...).
Any given Excel file that is put on a shared disk resource and used by many users is likely to get messed up somehow. Sooner or later.

I have tested several way of creating or updating Excel files, including command line scripting in Windows (VBscript for example). I believe I even tested ODBC to Excel, but didn't like it much. Some data pumps, information brokers or such also have embedded Excel creation connectors, but I would check out the version used if I ever looked at that kind of solution again. A lot have changed on Excel past 5-8 years or so... you probably don't want to get files of an aged Excel version.
If you make it idiot-proof, someone will make a better idiot.
David
Participant

Return to Release Scripts General Discussion