Porting Batch Classes from QA to PP to Prod with Documentum

Porting Batch Classes from QA to PP to Prod with Documentum

Postby » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:42 am

Hello all,

Subject says it all. I am trying to port batch classes configured in DEV to QA to PP and then to Prod. I am using latest version of Kofax Documentum release script (v8.0 for Documentum 6.6+).
This new release script gets docbase information from a default documentum webservice deployed on content server. It does NOT retrieve docbase information from local "DFC.properties" or "dmcl".

When I try to configure and port batch classes from environment to environment, it is loosing all metadata mappings and I had to re-configure all release scripts for all batch classes. I am talking about more than 50 batch classes here with some fairly complex metadata mappings and release locations.

In previous version of release script, they used to save docbase name and nothing else. As long as your docbase name is same in all environments, you are good and you can port them upwards and downwards without any issues. Not that easy anymore.

Now, if I want to do production upgrade, I have to allot a reasonable amount of time just to re-configure release scripts. Can't keep production down for such long duration :(

Did anybody have/had this issue with Documentum release script? Please let me know your comments.

Thanks,
Sarma.

Kofax & Documentum Administrator
Matson Navigation, Phoenix, USA
http://linkedin.com/in/sarmapasumarthi

Participant

Re: Porting Batch Classes from QA to PP to Prod with Documentum

Postby » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:45 am

Hello,

If you are upgrading from 9 to 10 and don't have all the time in the world for upgrade, here are some simple techniques to have a clean upgrade experience:

1) Much before the upgrade, make sure all your batch classes are up-to-date and get a confirmation from business that there won't be any changes until upgrade day
2) Now, point your DEV or QA Kofax server that's already upgraded to Kofax 10 to your Production documentum repository
3) Reconfigure all batch classes on DEV or QA by pointing and configuring release script to Prod. You are not actually releasing batches but just configuring them against production.
4) Now most important step: Publish all batch classes, make sure no errors and export them as CAB file. Save this file at a secure place. You will need it on Prod upgrade day
5) Go ahead and plan your prod upgrade having the peace of mind that you already have a working version of batch classes that you can deploy on to any system
6) On D-day, make sure the upgrade is error-free and import the batch classes from the Cab file you exported earlier.
7) Publish them again and make sure to test each and every batch class in Production by releasing a sample document from each batch
8) Upgrade central server first, remote servers (if any) next and then move on to scan/validation stations
9) While upgrading scan stations, install VRS first and make sure you are able to test a sample page using "VRSDemo" application. Then install Kofax software using "NOVRS" switch
10) After the installation is finished, configure scanner using "Scanner Configuration Utility", run couple of test scans and enable RSA if needed.

That's it, and you are done.

-Sarma.

Participant

Postby » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Sarma.Kofax wrote:6) On D-day, make sure the upgrade is error-free and import the batch classes from the Cab file you exported earlier.

If you're reinstalling from scratch, that might be good. But if you're doing a in-place upgrade it's unnecessary.

Sarma.Kofax wrote:9) While upgrading scan stations, install VRS first and make sure you are able to test a sample page using "VRSDemo" application. Then install Kofax software using "NOVRS" switch

Again, if this is a in-place upgrade, no need to install VRS again.

The install order depends on the versions of VRS involved.
Russell
Participant

Postby » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:54 pm

Russell,

Thanks for the comments. At least in case of Documentum release script upgrade from version 7 to 8, they changed the way how they talk to Documentum repository.

Previous version used to use locally installed DFC on central kofax server but the latest version uses web services. So, there is no DFC needed on central kofax server.

With this change, I tried upgrading the script "by installing new script and clicking on Upgrade button in export connectors window" but that never worked. I ended up reconfiguring every script using the new webservices mechanism.

I agree with your VRS suggestion.

-Sarma.

Participant

Return to Release Scripts General Discussion