Updating to cm connector 8.5/db2 client 10.1

Updating to cm connector 8.5/db2 client 10.1

Postby shaaric » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:09 pm

I am updating the Content Manager ii4c from 8.4.3 to Content Manager Connector 8.5 and the db2 client from 9.7 to 10.1. After doing the updates, I tried to test the CM release script and getting the error: Export Error: Script #1 (IBM DB2 Content Manager Enterprise 8.3) [Export Connector Returned -1. Your export connector may need to be re-installed.] (fyi - I'm able to log on to cm via the windows client from this server, so believe my cm set up to be good)

In full disclosure, I'm a Kofax newbie (and an experienced CM person). Do I really need to reinstall the CM release script or is there something else that needs to be done to get things talking correctly again? I tried to 'repair' the CM release script but it fails to register the KfxCM8_v7.dll - I have checked and rechecked the cm/db2 pieces, and am not seeing anything. If I try and add/logon to the CM release through a batch class/document class - the admin bombs with a .NET error, so it's clearly not doing something it's supposed to - would appreciate any advice anyone can offer.
Last edited by shaaric on Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shaaric
Participant

Re: Updating to cm connector 8.5/db2 client 10.1

Postby russell@centuryc.com » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:57 pm

shaaric wrote:Your export connector may need to be re-installed.

That's a very generic error message. Re-installation might help in this case, it might not. My concern would be that the update changed the API calls the release script is making.

You could try configuring the release script in the Admin module.
Russell
russell@centuryc.com
Participant

Postby shaaric » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:22 am

Thanks for your response. I tried to use the admin module to access the cm release script and the admin bombs. Typically if you are updating you CM pieces, are there steps that need to be taken with the release script? Have been looking for some doc on that, but haven't found any yet. May try and go back to the 8.4.3 and see if it works again that way to pinpoint that it's the new connector. From the matrix chart I saw, I thought CM 8.5 should work with the Ascent 7 - cm 8.3-8.4 release script - we have other products that use the CM ii4c/connector that upgraded without any issues or updates needed at all. Wondering if others are using 8.5 successfully now and if they had any problems when initially upgraded to 8.5?
shaaric
Participant

Postby russell@centuryc.com » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:54 am

shaaric wrote:Typically if you are updating you CM pieces, are there steps that need to be taken with the release script?

I can only speak in generalities since I don't know this script. The Release (also called Export) script/connector connects Kofax to some back-end system. On the Kofax side, the script may have a minimum Capture version level. But later versions of Capture generally work OK with older release scripts. So if your release script will work with Ascent 7, it will probably work OK in 8, 9 and 10. (Although there's a few DLLs you may need to copy over.) If this is the issue, it will crash as soon as you attempt to setup the release script. It also isn't likely to be an issue if you upgrade a working station. It would come into play of you do a wipe and install or install all-new.

It's the back-end interface that gets tricky. It's rarely written from scratch. It relies on APIs from some thick client install. I'd expect this part to crash when you try to access the back-end in the setup. Unfortunately, APIs can change between versions. There's no promise that an older script will work with a newer back-end. You'll either have to find a newer script or the source code to modify it to work with the newer API.
Russell
russell@centuryc.com
Participant

Postby shaaric » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:01 pm

Thank you Russell for you reply. I put the previous 8.4.3 CM ii4c back on removing the 8.5 and it's working just fine. 8.4.3 of CM is EOS soon, so will need to come up with another option. Would have thought Kofax would go forward with the support. Thanks again for your help. Perhaps someone that is using CM 8.5 will share how they handle it.
shaaric
Participant

Return to Release Scripts General Discussion