Err Msg - Device is not Reserved

Err Msg - Device is not Reserved

Postby Shamples » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:58 am

Running AC 7.0 and just setup a Bowe Bell & Howell Truper 3200 scanner.

I setup the default batch class scanner profiles for ADF, but in the case where we want to switch mid-batch, I created a scanner profile called FLATBED to utilize the flatbed. This switching back and forth worked fine before the installation of this new scanner, but now everytime we switch, it gives the error message "Device is not reserved" or "An error occurred while scanning or importing - Host processor exception"

We have a similar setup with the same scanner at another workstation and this does not happen. Anyone ever seen this or have any idea what might be the problem. The error messages are more a nuisance type thing since you can click OK thru them and the scanner profile works for either the Flatbed or ADF. But I would like to get rid of them. Thanks.
Shamples
Participant

Postby Shamples » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:49 am

Still researching this...

Found a link on the Bowe Bell & Howell website about common VRS error messages: http://www.bbhscanners.com/support/8000 ... rrors.html

It does have one under the list of ImageControl error codes that says this:

KGERRDEVICENOTRESERVED
KGERR_DEVICENOTRESERVED
Device is not reserved. Reserve the device and try again.

How exactly do you reserve a device? And why would this happen on one setup and not another when they are basically the same.

I haven't found anything with the other error message yet.
Shamples
Participant

Postby Shamples » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:07 am

One other thing I just thought of....

This setup previously was using a Fujitsu M4097D scanner.

I swapped that out and installed the Bowe Bell & Howell Truper after uninstalling Kofax and then reinstalling the software with the new scanner.

I did notice under the Add/Remove programs I was not able to fully remove the Fujitsu ISIS Drivers. I received an error message saying Unable to locate the installation log file C\Windows\PixTran\Fujitsu ISIS Drivers.isu and that the Uninstallation would not continue.

Not sure if that is what could be causing the problem.

Looking in that PixTran folder now, there is BBH type stuff having to do with the new scanner so that looks right.
Shamples
Participant

Postby rpapa » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:43 am

are you using vrs? if so, what version?

have you tried in vcdemo and are you getting the same error?
rpapa
Participant

Postby Shamples » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:02 am

I am using VRS... I believe 4.1 ... whatever comes automatic with the Bowe Bell & Howell Truper 3200 scanner.

I have not tried VCDemo as I have never really attempted to use VCDemo.
Shamples
Participant

Postby russell@centuryc.com » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:47 pm

"Device not Reserved" is a message you'll frequently get if you attempt to scan before the program is ready. In Ascent capture, you'll have to wait until some icons "light up" before you can click scan. It seems to take time for VRS to activate and find the ISIS drivers and all that.

If you are waiting, then it's probably a case that the computer can't find the scanner for some reason. Make sure all hardware connections are solid and active.
russell@centuryc.com
Participant

Postby Shamples » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:10 am

I don't know. The Scanner and the module are ready at the time of each scanning, but when switching we still get those nuisance messages. Like I said, it still works if you click OK thru the messages, but they are not very user friendly and all the hardware seems to be setup fine.
Shamples
Participant

Postby russell@centuryc.com » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:00 pm

I'm trying to remember what you have to wait for. But after staring the scan module and creating the batch - wait for 30 seconds or so and see if anything changes. That's your cue that it's ready.

I think the scan button lights up, that's why it's clicked, but something else has to change. Perhaps it's the appearance of the "stack of trays" that represents the batch.
russell@centuryc.com
Participant

Return to Kofax Capture General Discussion